Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 11:36   #1
BHPian

Need Help to Decide a New Car

Well its been 4 months that i have been so much confused over the right car for my family . Well i realized one thing that giving suggestions are very easy but when it comes to yourself , its very confusing and irritating at times .

Cars i have in mind --

1. It was always Altis if i asked my dad . He is very much in favour of Altis .

2. Civic was the car i was in favor of but dad never like that car.

3. Then comes the Cruze , dad liked the car , gizmos , shape , average and power .

4 . Today i came across Skoda Laura site and saw petrol version of the car which has some power and comfort too .

Our main thing is comfort as it would chauffeur driven always or driven by me . Dad doesn't drive car anymore . Reliability is also a major thing in the buy because we keep our cars for minimum 5 years or may b more .

So guys what do u suggest . I need to take decision in next 7-10 days so flow in your comments .
Old 14th October 2009, 11:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is the Laura similarly priced as the Cruze?

Rear comfort will be better in Altis I guess based on posts at TBHP. Do check
Old 14th October 2009, 12:06   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

reliability TOYOTA - no question about it.

Civic - great stylish car but way too low slung (difficult for elders)

Skoda Laura - is according to me, one of the best Ive seen given the features vis a vis price. The Petrol is a powerful beast too. Extremely comfortable car in my opinion.
However lots of people seem to have issues with service and general cost of parts, attitude of service staff/ company etc. So worth checking out thoroughly before committing your money.

Cruze - looks really nice - there's a thread on the test drive on TBHP - worth reading.
While I personally have never really trusted GM as a brand, they might actually be changing their methods with this new car the Cruze. Definitely worth a look, before you decide.

In short - given these vehicles listed here bearing in mind your particular requirements-

Toyota - No 1
Cruze - No 2
Skoda - No 3
Honda - No 4
Old 14th October 2009, 19:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'd say go with the Toyota Altis. It's a much better refined car.

Skoda has its service and after sales issues.

GM again does not sell much although the new car is a good looker BUT resale is
pathetic.

Civic is a good choice BUT I'd still stick with the Altis.
Old 14th October 2009, 21:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post
Our main thing is comfort as it would chauffeur driven always or driven by me . Dad doesn't drive car anymore .
There in lies the problem. Altis would be the best if it is chauffeur driven but Laura or Civic might be more fun when driving yourself. From tanveer's report Cruze is also fun to drive as well.

Quote:
Reliability is also a major thing in the buy because we keep our cars for minimum 5 years or may b more .
That will probably take skoda out of the equation. Read comments in team-bhp about issues with skoda and their a.s.s.

Since your dad doesn't like Civic, that takes Civic out of the equation as well.

So, the choices are Altis & Cruze. I read on the reviews that back seat of Cruze isn't that great and if it is chauffeur driven, that might not be the best option.

Considering all the above, Altis with legendary toyota reliability is the only practical option for you.

I think you and your Dad should TD Corolla, Civic and Cruze with you in the driving seat and your Dad in the rear seat and take a pick! Who knows, he might just say "yes" to Civic so you can have your wish
Old 14th October 2009, 21:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Its you and chauffer who is going to drive.

So TD all of them with you in drivers seat and Dad sitting at the back.
and conclude
simple
Old 14th October 2009, 21:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Altis- Would be my choice considering your dad will be on the back seat and its a very comfortable car + highly reliable.
Cruze - As per Tanveer's TD more positives then negatives however back seat leg room is less in comparison to others so better ask your dad to check it first if its comfortable for him.
Skoda - If you want a troublefree car stay away from this.
Old 14th October 2009, 22:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

I suggest that let the person who is going to pay decide
if your dad is going to pay let him decide which one to buy.

As per your, your DAD prefers Toyota Altis
he also liked GM Cruze.

you can make a comparison of these cars w.r.t. features, comfort (after test drive), price, reliability, service reputation etc.

my personal preference would be Altis for sure. It is a near ZERO risk proposition.
Old 14th October 2009, 23:12   #9
BHPian

Just test drive the Altis and Civic yourself. My parents who usually complain about low slung cars did NOT complain about the Civic when they actually sat in it during my TD on Sun Oct 4th. Cabin space is better than the Altis (since your parents will usually be in the rear like mine). Not to mention it's a better driver's car and I'll be doing most of the driving. So I've booked an SMT on the 7th and expect to drive off in it in about a week's time if that's any inspiration for you
Old 14th October 2009, 23:20   #10
BHPian

Thankx guys for your inputs . Indeed no one can beat TOYOTA on reliability front .

Now which model makes sense ?? I guess 1.8G suits best . or the sports model .

What say ??
Old 15th October 2009, 00:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post
Thankx guys for your inputs . Indeed no one can beat TOYOTA on reliability front .

Now which model makes sense ?? I guess 1.8G suits best . or the sports model .

What say ??
The sports model is a complete waste of cash IMHO. A corolla is anything but sporty in dynamics. A body kit is no good on it.
Old 15th October 2009, 01:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The sports model is a complete waste of cash IMHO. A corolla is anything but sporty in dynamics. A body kit is no good on it.
The only good thing about the Altis sports is the Metallic Grey colour.
The one thing that I do not like about the corolla(current as well as past model) is that even with the windows rolled up you can hear all the cacophony of the traffic.

Regarding GM, the cars are as reliable as Corolla. Come on guys they were not selling all the cars globally for nothing. As on date GM has the best warranty + service package in India. Why would they offer that if they were making poor quality cars. The best part is the quiet cabin in the current Aveos & Optras, all you hear is silence. The Cruze with a much better build quality should be even better. As per the sales guy from Metro motors in Delhi all panel gaps have been maintained at or < 3mm. Do check it out before you put your money down just for a brand name.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The only good thing about the Altis sports is the Metallic Grey colour.
The one thing that I do not like about the corolla(current as well as past model) is that even with the windows rolled up you can hear all the cacophony of the traffic.

Regarding GM, the cars are as reliable as Corolla. Come on guys they were not selling all the cars globally for nothing. As on date GM has the best warranty + service package in India. Why would they offer that if they were making poor quality cars. The best part is the quiet cabin in the current Aveos & Optras, all you hear is silence. The Cruze with a much better build quality should be even better. As per the sales guy from Metro motors in Delhi all panel gaps have been maintained at or < 3mm. Do check it out before you put your money down just for a brand name.
Toyota is just not a brand name they actually deliver whatever you expect from them. A Toyota is the most reliable car money can buy. While other car manufacturers may come close but as of now none can surpass it. AFAIK toyota offers 3 years or 1 lakh kms warranty. Plus the cruze rear seat is not very comfortable, overall the car is pretty cramped. The optra was waay more spacious in comparison.
Old 15th October 2009, 15:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

1) You are planning to keep the car for atleast 5 years, so IMO, resale value will already be less, so forget about resale concerns for Cruze.

2) Avoid Skoda. There is enough material at TBHP for this. Also do refer to this : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1273840-post2.html

3) Also you have mentioned that its going to be chauffeur driven mostly. Here is where the Altis really strikes in. The rear seat is quite comfortable and ride is quite comfortable.

4) Considering your requirements,
a) Toyota Corolla Altis.
b) Chevy Cruze.
c) Honda Civic.

b) The car is yet to be proven, but the engine is already doing duty on Captiva. Rear seat space is something you will have to check. If the car is going to be chauffeur driven, check for this.

c) Low GC and too low. Not very easy to get in and out. The rear seat is also low.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th October 2009 at 15:46.
Old 15th October 2009, 16:24   #15
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

for your requirements.

1) Toyota - Reliability, creature comforts - but a poor drive.
2) Laura - Creature comforts, drive, most powerful petrol - Service issues.
3) Cruz - Creature comforts, drive, new look car, only diesel - average service.
4) honda - Reliability, will age faster in looks, low seating, decent drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks