Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2009, 00:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Second Hand car in Calcutta upto 3.5 Lakhs

Hello Folks,

My parents recently moved to Calcutta and they had to sell our beloved 2004 Baleno when they moved. It was because of a stupid law that the West Bengal RTO insists upon; cars (out of State) not conforming to Euro III norms wouldn't be allowed to register in the state. Anyway, they need help finding and choosing a car and i am hoping that a kind teamBhp-ian would be able to give some advice and pointers to the do-s and don't s of buying a second hand car in Calcutta.

The budget is upto 3.5 lakhs ad I would list out the priorities below

a. Good to drive.
b. Better ground clearance than the Baleno (it kept hitting it's tailpipe on bad roads)
c. Good boot space.

The cars I have suggested are the Ford Fiesta (1.6 around 2005), Ford Fusion, Hyundai Elantra (2004 model) etc. The thing to note is that we were very happy with the Baleno, also we are used to the comfort and joy of driving it offered and a similar car would be great.

Trouble is, these cars are very rare in the second hand market and it's especially tough in Calcutta. Does anyone of you know a second hand car dealer who is reasonably reliable? Also, any other cars that might be worthwhile to take a look at?
They are right now looking at classifieds (Telegraph) and that's not looking too good. Also, if there is a teambhp-ian in Calcutta who knows that a good car might be for sale, kindly give us a pointer.
Old 19th October 2009, 01:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

What I would suggest is that you go for another maruti made vehicle beacause in calcutta you need a ar hat is fuel efficient+low maintanence cost. What would the useage be of the car? I would say you could go for a siwft or mayb you could consider buying a new car and put this amount as the down payment and go for a new car with a loan.
Old 19th October 2009, 01:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would have recommended this car - but it probably would not be appropriate for your parents

Team-BHP Classifieds - Baleno for sale - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Are new cars absolutely not an option?

Last edited by shuvc : 19th October 2009 at 01:12.
Old 19th October 2009, 05:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks

Thanks folks for your replies. Here are some clarifications that might give you more insight at the requirements

Q) Are new cars absolutely not an option?
A) The budget is fixed. The reason for this is that my father recently retired and we sold the Baleno for 2.5 (This was a 2004 Vxi, had done 84K kms). A lakh over that sum is the maximum investment that can be made for a car.
Now, coming from the Baleno, it becomes a letdown to go for a new car as it would have to be a small car. That would mean less power, less space, overall less comfort. We don't mind going for a second hand car, so one in good knick might just be what the doctor ordered.

Q) What is it going to be used for?
A) We used to stay in U.P. and the car was used to trips to the hills. It was very torquey (great for hills), had a nice ride and handling balance, was superbly comfortable and had space for our rucksacks and more.
Now that it's Calcutta, I guess my dad would like to visit the North East (in fact he has said so), hence the quest for a car that does all that the Baleno does, with better ground clearance.

Some details about the user/s : My father is a Mechanical Engineer and he's very good with cars, in fact till cars became a lot more complicated, he and I used to work on our car together. We had a red '85 SS80 that we looked after ourselves, it went to the mechanic only if one of us was not feeling up to it (which was very rare).I picked up the love of cars from him.

@ShuvC - that Baleno you gave the link to is "wicked" .

I think the Fusion is just about perfect! However, since it's so rare that it's close to impossible. You guys know of any used car guys who might be not so unscrupulous?

O/T: Now, you might ask why I am not pitching in with some money and making it all a lot easier? The reason is that I just started my Masters in Comp Sci. in Canada and am now on a Student budget.
Old 21st October 2009, 13:10   #5
evo
BHPian

The Fusion shouldnt be on your mind, I think. Some spares like the bumpers etc were hideously priced. But that was 2 years ago, I dont know if Ford has slashed prices of Fusion spares alongwith the Ikons too.

I think that the Fiesta will be reasonably easy to find, The Telegraph Classifieds has atleast 2-3 of them every Sunday.

The Elantra is from a segment above, and a much much better car, but as you said, may be difficult to source.
Old 21st October 2009, 20:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

@evo: That is a very valid point. Thanks for reminding me about spares; I was thinking about the mechanicals only (which has many common parts with the Fiesta) and that was a mistake.

So does anyone here has an insight as to what are the things one should keep in mind while buying a second hand Fiesta? As far as I know, there weren't too many problems plaguing the car since it's launch, so it should be a reasonably safe buy?

Also, are there any other alternatives that people might be able to suggest based on the conditions stated in the previous posts?
Old 21st October 2009, 20:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Amartya, which RTO refused to register the vehicle ? 2 weeks ago I got my out of state M800 BS-II registered in the Barrackpore RTO. The ARTO officer was initially cribbing on the BS-II but he did get the work done.

I guess in proper Kolkata ( Beltala RTO ? ) they would be more stringent.
Old 21st October 2009, 22:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

We tried getting the Baleno registered in the main RTO (Beltala, not the one in Alipore). However, they just didn't budge. In the end we decided that peace of mind was important and decided to sell the Baleno. Now, that's done and the search is on for another car.
Old 21st October 2009, 23:11   #9
BHPian

I know that there is lots of issue with the Old vehicle in Kolkata now a days.
Ford has reduced parts cost, now it is quite reasonable. Even the maintained charges are also less now. If you are looking for some Fusion then you can buy them from Delhi/NCR and then get registered in WB. It will suite your budget and requirement.
Old 22nd October 2009, 00:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

I could have got your old Baleno registered in Howrah.

Anyway, let bygones be bygones.

You ll get an excellent car in Kolkata for 3.5 lacs. The resale value of premium vehicles is very low here...
Old 22nd October 2009, 01:17   #11
BHPian

Hi your dad is now a retired person, so it is obvious that now he wants peace of mind. I would recommend you go for a new hatch back in that budget. This will give you peace of mind for next five years or may be more than that as your dad is an expert and can really keep the car in good shape. And another point - in Kolkata I don't think you require a big car, congested roads, narrow lanes, parking problem. As far as trip to North East is concern.. go and see the road conditions and political situations, he'll drop the idea of touring NE by road.
I guess practically your best bet is to visit Maruti True Value website and check if Swift is available in 3.5 lakhs - good car, hasslefree support from MASS (I just cheked in the website 4 cars (2005-2006 models) are available in Kolkata which comes well within your budget). Think about this and keep us updated.

Last edited by gaddiwale : 22nd October 2009 at 01:27.
Old 22nd October 2009, 02:29   #12
BHPian

Hi, Although this is not one of your options, but do give the NHC a thought, maybe a 2003-04 model might land in your budget (maybe) .
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sedan:Why cant you have a try on the Fiesta, its with a decent amount of power & appearance.

Hatch: then there is no better than Swift.
Old 22nd October 2009, 20:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks

Thanks folks for all your replies. The hunt is on for a Fiesta (Fusion too if we come across a decent example, highly unlikely though). If anyone knows of a Fiesta for sale in and around Calcutta, do write in. Also if they have any feedback for second hand car dealers in Calcutta, it'll be great.
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:39   #15
evo
BHPian

Wait for the Sunday Telegraph with baited breath! I`m sure you`ll find something there.

In terms of numbers try -9831510446,9831193803,9830018061

I havent bought anything from any of them and dont know anything about their reputation etc, numbers are just to jumpstart your search.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks