Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 10:37   #1
vij
BHPian

What would be the price of a used 2008 Merc C 220CDI?

My father is looking to buy a car. Budget is 23L. Initially fixed on SUPERB, but not sure anymore after being educated about their *** and faulty parts. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be another car within that segment and price thats comparable. So purchase plans were put off...

But off-late I have been thinking differently. Maybe a used 2008 Merc C Class wouldnt be a bad idea. Would a well maintained 'used'(~18months) C 220CDI MT be available for 23L?
Do you think it will cost more?

Last edited by vij : 29th October 2009 at 10:52.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Try carwale.com for a quote. In fact I did a search for you and Hyderabad came up with 4 cars out of which 2 were 2007 and priced at 23 & 25 L. Both Individual sellers so you could speak to them.

I'd personally think that a 2007 / 2008 model C Class would be about 22 Lacs ( 15k done )

Why not go for a Audi A4 or Bmw 3 series second hand also. Should be more or less the same amount.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:12   #3
vij
BHPian

Thanks vkochar. So ~ 22L is the price. I will do more research. Btw I am looking for current model car, no older models. Thanks again
Old 29th October 2009, 12:09   #4
BHPian

Prioritise your need

Vij,

My two pennies worth :

Please prioritise your objective in buying the car - you said that you considered the Skoda Superb initially but due to the bad reports of Skoda's *** in these forums, you decided to look for a pre-owned C class Merc, circa 2007. Correct?

The Superb and the C Class are models in different segments, with different usage patterns, although a new Superb and a 2007 C Class might cost the same ( initial purchase price).

A Superb is a VFM ( if one can call it that) business sedan; the corresponding cars from other marques would be the new Honda Accord 2.4, the VW Passat, the new E Class,the 5 series from BMW and possibly the Volvo S80.

The C class is an entry level Benz stylish but cramped.

So, if your father is looking to be driven and is likely to sit in the back then the C Class ( not the new one) might be cramped for him. The 5 series and the E class might be a better option.

All pre-owned year 2006-07-08 models, would be on the expensive side, if they have been driven properly and have full fsh.

Also remember, especially for pre-owned upscale marques such as Benz and BMW, it is the TCO that counts, not simply the initial cost.

For a budget of 23-25, you might like to consider circa 2005 E class/5 series, or maybe a 3 series if spirited driving is also intended.

Regards
Old 29th October 2009, 12:46   #5
vij
BHPian

Thanks for your valuable comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Vij,

My two pennies worth :

Please prioritise your objective in buying the car - you said that you considered the Skoda Superb initially but due to the bad reports of Skoda's *** in these forums, you decided to look for a pre-owned C class Merc, circa 2007. Correct?
Yes. Its not totally ruled out, but just looking at what else is affordable.

Quote:

The C class is an entry level Benz stylish but cramped.

So, if your father is looking to be driven and is likely to sit in the back then the C Class ( not the new one) might be cramped for him. The 5 series and the E class might be a better option.

All pre-owned year 2006-07-08 models, would be on the expensive side, if they have been driven properly and have full fsh.

Also remember, especially for pre-owned upscale marques such as Benz and BMW, it is the TCO that counts, not simply the initial cost.

For a budget of 23-25, you might like to consider circa 2005 E class/5 series, or maybe a 3 series if spirited driving is also intended.

Regards
Yes, he will be chauffeured. He likes a sedate experience(currently has Corolla, Logan, Ikon). I dont think a used 5 series will be in the budget(23L max). Prefer Diesel.

How expensive will the C Class be to maintain. In general what would be the upkeep costs over a period of 5 years ?

Last edited by vij : 29th October 2009 at 12:51.
Old 29th October 2009, 16:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
How expensive will the C Class be to maintain. In general what would be the upkeep costs over a period of 5 years ?
Look up GTO's thread on his C220 CDI. He's the best guy to guide you on what ownership costs you would be looking at. And since you mentioned a sedate experience as a requirement, I doubt the BMW would be much of an option. Better look at pre-owned C-Class options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks