Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 13:25   #1
BHPian

Change from Civic 1.8V MT to a Sedan with AT

Dear All:
My father owns a 1.8 V MT bought in June 2007 driven about 12,000 Kms. The car is in top condition both exterior and interior and has a few extras. He has on several occasions, expressed the desire to change to a car with an automatic transmission. This was especially after he drove my i10 AT a few times. He is senior in age and feels that it would make it easy on his hurting left knee.

His driving conditions: Mostly in Mumbai city, maybe twice a year on long trips about 300 to 400 kms long.

His driving style: Completely the opposite from sedate. He would require something with power for him to feel comfortable in driving.

• I request everyone to give their suggestions, comments and inputs on what car should be looked at. I would like to say up-front that budget will be a constraint and the delta between the sale and new car should be very small or if possible, none at all.
• Also in your experience, what would the existing car he has fetch? This is to make a fair assessment of what cars can be looked at.
• Would you suggest a used car?
Thank you
Old 12th November 2009, 13:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Since you already own an i10 AT I would not suggest the same car for him. He could take a look at the i20 1.4 AT. Otherwise if he is ok with a used car, there are lot of sweet deals in the used car market on Accords. You could get a good 2.4 model for 5 lakhs .
Old 12th November 2009, 13:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Since you already own an i10 AT I would not suggest the same car for him. He could take a look at the i20 1.4 AT. Otherwise if he is ok with a used car, there are lot of sweet deals in the used car market on Accords. You could get a good 2.4 model for 5 lakhs .
Thanks Dippy. I am looking for something more in the same size segment and if not, at least a sedan. He would never drive a hatch back. Sorry forgot to mention that in my original post. Accord seems an interesting idea
Old 12th November 2009, 13:45   #4
BHPian

If you are looking for a 'new' AT car, sell the Civic and you'd get the new SX4 AT nearly for the same money.

If open to used cars, you would have a lot of options at close to 8 lacs.
Good condition used CRVs, Accords, Corollas.

If you like the civic, sell the MT and pick up a used Civic AT by paying a small extra amount.
Old 12th November 2009, 13:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

No hatch - that means i20 gamma 1.4 is ruled out.

that would leave 2 sub 10 lakh sedans with A/T around - the verna diesel and the sx4 petrol.

considering its solely for the city drive (with rare exceptions) - I am tempted to suggest the new sx4 A/T (though downgrading would have its effects!)

I guess if the switch is from civic ->sx4, the delta would be very small or non existent.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

In the same size segment the options are
1.Civic AT
2.Corolla Altis AT
3.Laura DSG
All the cars listed are pretty peppy to drive with no issues about lack of power. While Corolla is more of inclined to comfort the Civic AT feels sportier. Laura is the best of the lot but is expensive and After sales support is SCARY.

If you dont mind a used car you can find a good used Accord AT or Sonata Embera AT.

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th November 2009 at 14:23.
Old 12th November 2009, 16:19   #7
BHPian

Thanks all for your suggestions. The reason why SX4 is ruled out is that before buying the Civic, the SX4 was considered and dropped on various parameters. So that suggestion might not fly with my father.

Auto Terrace for a used Civic, CRV AT seems promising. I will try that. The City AT is very tempting but at the given point in time is not in budget.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:40   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You stand to lose way too much by selling a 2 year old car. Depreciation is a killer. My suggestion:

1. Get a driver for your Parents. Not only will they love you for it (the sheer convenience), but you get to keep your pristine car. 6,000 a month for a chauffeur is probably better than losing 5 - 6 lakhs straight, on a nearly new car.

2. Sell your Civic and buy another used Automatic. Civic, Corolla etc. Plenty of good AT C+ segment sedans in the market. Buying used flattens out your own depreciation losses.
Old 13th November 2009, 11:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
If you are looking for a 'new' AT car, sell the Civic and you'd get the new SX4 AT nearly for the same money.

If open to used cars, you would have a lot of options at close to 8 lacs.
Good condition used CRVs, Accords, Corollas.

If you like the civic, sell the MT and pick up a used Civic AT by paying a small extra amount.
Where can you get a used CRV for that price, I would love to buy one, if such an option exists. By the way, will a used CRV at 8 L be one with quite a high mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You stand to lose way too much by selling a 2 year old car. Depreciation is a killer. My suggestion:

1. Get a driver for your Parents. Not only will they love you for it (the sheer convenience), but you get to keep your pristine car. 6,000 a month for a chauffeur is probably better than losing 5 - 6 lakhs straight, on a nearly new car.

2. Sell your Civic and buy another used Automatic. Civic, Corolla etc. Plenty of good AT C+ segment sedans in the market. Buying used flattens out your own depreciation losses.
+1 to that, the only caveat being you might have to spend around 7 - 7.5 K for a driver, I been hunting for quite some time, but havent seen any good drivers in that range.

By the way, if you are considering option no. 2 give me a PM.. i can be a potential buyer.
Old 13th November 2009, 12:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Where can you get a used CRV for that price, I would love to buy one, if such an option exists. By the way, will a used CRV at 8 L be one with quite a high mileage?
There is a CRV for 8 Lakhs at Sai Service used cars at Phoenix Mills. Seems to be in excellent shape. Done 40,000 Kms approx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

1. Thanks GTO. Agreed completely. I will moot the idea of a driver this weekend and let you know how it goes.

2. If possible this weekend, I will scout the city for used cars similar to the Civic and see what I come up with.
Old 1st December 2009, 16:39   #11
BHPian

Close Thread

Dear Moderator's,

Appreciate if you could close this thread. The plan is now to wait out for the automatic Cruze and then sell the Civic.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks