Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 14:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Accord 3.0 V6 - What went wrong?

I am in the market looking out for a short gap car for a year or two. My OHC will turn 10 years next year and I need to replace her. Currently I personally feel no car matches the OHC in the sub 10 lakh rupee range and I don't wanna spend more than that now.

I am saving up and will do a major jump upgrade in a couple of years if all goes according to plan.

Now after driving around dad's i10 AT, I'm quite used to automatics and that's what I want to buy.

Thus, I decided to go in for a second hand AT in the meanwhile.

So as I start looking for a car, i frankly don't have many options. The Skoda family I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

My options got limited to the previous generation accord. Going through all the threads I found out that the 3.0V6 is slower than the 2.4 manual. However, I assume that the 3.0 V6 would be faster than the 2.4AT. Nevertheless, I looked for a few months and found out quite a lot of good deals.

Now what I don't understand is that why is the V6 going for such low prices? I'm getting very well maintained cars in the range of 6-8 lakhs. Similar 2.4 manual accords are also going for the same price. So why has the V6 depreciated so much? I know a few very well maintained V6s on the block for a year now with prices reducing monthly.

Although I like the car, I need to know what happened? Is it the fact that the average of 6 kmpl the only reason or is there something else? The CRV also gives a similar (if not worse) average and the older generation CRV is going at a much higher rate than the accord.

Can anyone throw light on why the V6 is selling for so less and are there any issues with the maintenance.

Also, how much is the performance difference between the V6 and the 2.4AT.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2009, 14:46   #2
BHPian

Mostly the 5-6 kmpl city FE.
And Accords are not as cheap to maintain (just regular maintainence). As a car ages, there will be things needing attention and replacements. You are looking at spares of a car which costed 20 L or so to start with.

Same goes for old CR-Vs.

Edit: Also, heard it from a Honda showroom here that old gen Accord spares availability may become an issue.

Last edited by jigbarai : 17th November 2009 at 14:48.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Mostly the 5-6 kmpl city FE.
And Accords are not as cheap to maintain (just regular maintainence). As a car ages, there will be things needing attention and replacements. You are looking at spares of a car which costed 20 L or so to start with.

Same goes for old CR-Vs.

Edit: Also, heard it from a Honda showroom here that old gen Accord spares availability may become an issue.
Owned a honda for many years. Maintenance won't be as high as a skoda or merc.

Spares issue is with the sixth gen accord not the seventh gen. the current one is the eighth gen.

Any other issues with the V6 other than the FE?
Old 17th November 2009, 15:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I am in the market looking out for a short gap car for a year or two. My OHC will turn 10 years next year and I need to replace her. Currently I personally feel no car matches the OHC in the sub 10 lakh rupee range and I don't wanna spend more than that now.

I am saving up and will do a major jump upgrade in a couple of years if all goes according to plan.

Now after driving around dad's i10 AT, I'm quite used to automatics and that's what I want to buy.

Thus, I decided to go in for a second hand AT in the meanwhile.

So as I start looking for a car, i frankly don't have many options. The Skoda family I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

My options got limited to the previous generation accord. Going through all the threads I found out that the 3.0V6 is slower than the 2.4 manual. However, I assume that the 3.0 V6 would be faster than the 2.4AT. Nevertheless, I looked for a few months and found out quite a lot of good deals.

Now what I don't understand is that why is the V6 going for such low prices? I'm getting very well maintained cars in the range of 6-8 lakhs. Similar 2.4 manual accords are also going for the same price. So why has the V6 depreciated so much? I know a few very well maintained V6s on the block for a year now with prices reducing monthly.

Although I like the car, I need to know what happened? Is it the fact that the average of 6 kmpl the only reason or is there something else? The CRV also gives a similar (if not worse) average and the older generation CRV is going at a much higher rate than the accord.

Can anyone throw light on why the V6 is selling for so less and are there any issues with the maintenance.

Also, how much is the performance difference between the V6 and the 2.4AT.
Quote:

Spares issue is with the sixth gen accord not the seventh gen. the current one is the eighth gen.

Any other issues with the V6 other than the FE?
Tejas, ATs age much faster than MTs. Also most 3.0 ATs were bought by owners who might have prefered to drive their cars harder.

If you do locate a good deal you should get the Transmission checked out by a good, competent mechanic and even then it can be a gamble. If the AT fails you will out of pocket atleast 1L maybe more.

I would also try to ascertain how long Honda intends to keep spares for the 3.0AT available.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2009, 15:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Everybody in the second hand car market is looking for a value deal so huge a 3000cc V6 petrol and an autobox makes scary stories of very low FE believable ultimately scaring away value seekers.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2009, 15:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Tejas, ATs age much faster than MTs. Also most 3.0 ATs were bought by owners who might have prefered to drive their cars harder.

If you do locate a good deal you should get the Transmission checked out by a good, competent mechanic and even then it can be a gamble. If the AT fails you will out of pocket atleast 1L maybe more.

I would also try to ascertain how long Honda intends to keep spares for the 3.0AT available.

The usual norm is that spares for discontinued models are available for 10 years after the production has been stopped. The 3.0 V6 was replaced in 2008 so officially spares will be available from Honda till 2018 atleast.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:06   #7
BHPian

I think FE was a major factor why these cars didn`t work out in India, otherwise these are one of the most comfortable cars in india and suits the of a owner of a multi million dollar organization.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:13   #8
BHPian

FE certainly seems to be the downer. The same goes for any petrol car with low FE. And ATs have an image of abysmal FEs compared to their MT variants.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:

It is not regular maintenance I was refering to. It was more so 'when something goes wrong'. Maintaining an OHC and an expensive top-of-the-line Accord are two different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The usual norm is that spares for discontinued models are available for 10 years after the production has been stopped. The 3.0 V6 was replaced in 2008 so officially spares will be available from Honda till 2018 atleast.
A rule, but Not quite followed.
There are several 5 yr old car models whose spares are difficult to procure already. It depends on the volumes and demands of these spares.
This is where you can blindly rely on old'er Maruti models and even the OHC, but not such cars who did not do high sales numbers.
For sure there are spares issues on the 6th gen Accords right now. Who knows, in a year or two, even the 7th gen may run into such issues.

Quote:

Much much more. A good deal is a gamble. If nothing goes wrong, its a steal. But if something does go wrong - it'll cost you BIG.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Good point. What are the pointers to keep in mind when one checks the transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
It is not regular maintenance I was refering to. It was more so 'when something goes wrong'. Maintaining an OHC and an expensive top-of-the-line Accord are two different things.

Much much more. A good deal is a gamble. If nothing goes wrong, its a steal. But if something does go wrong - it'll cost you BIG.
Point taken.

Anyone has thoughts on the 2.4AT, Performance wise?

Also, what other options for used car better than OHC in terms of power, handling, comfort in the 10L range but has to be AT. No Skodas for sure.
Just need the car for 1-2 years max. Tilted towards honda since i will get a better resale.
I know i can get a more recent civic as well, but i find the civics too common and don't wanna go for it.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Automatic + Handler + Performer + non Skoda + most probably Honda = Only Civic.

Accord is a not so great handler but is very comfy. I would recommend a Accord V6. For performance look beyond 0-100.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:50   #12
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

3.0 V6 is NOT slower than a 2.4 MT nor than the 2.4 AT.

3.0 V6 at about 6.5L for a 2004/5 model is just about the right price. In India cars that sip a lot of petrol have a poor resale values and that is true for the 3.0 V6 as well - fuel effeciency would be about 5 kmpl. So a great car if your daily drive is less than 20 kms but for anything more go for the 2.4 MT (not even the 2.4 AT) or even better a diesel.

By way even Honda 2.4 cars go go kaput from time to time. It is reliable but like any car more than 5 years old, there will be reasons to fail, so dont just dump the Skoda Idea for that reason. Honda accord part prices are as expensive. My office colleague with a 2.4 AT accord has just in the last hr. called for the mechanic as the car is just not starting. The same thing happend earlier to him and it was the fuel pump in the tank.

Yet the 3.0 V6 AT is a good deal at 6L and it was the FASTEST CAR IN INDIA at the time of it's launch (this side of 30L).
Old 17th November 2009, 16:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good point. What are the pointers to keep in mind when one checks the transmission?

Point taken.

Anyone has thoughts on the 2.4AT, Performance wise?

Also, what other options for used car better than OHC in terms of power, handling, comfort in the 10L range but has to be AT. No Skodas for sure.
Just need the car for 1-2 years max. Tilted towards honda since i will get a better resale.
I know i can get a more recent civic as well, but i find the civics too common and don't wanna go for it.
Tejas a 2.4 AT Accord is a very good car and I would suggest you keep that in mind as well when you do your search. Do not limit yourself to the V6 only. V6s might be used a bit roughly due to the power but if you can find a car used by a big boss of a company, nothing like it and you do find some examples . All you need is patience thats all . 30k kms V6 Accords go at a nice price.

Regular service doesnt cost much for even an Accord considering what segment it comes in. However brake pads wear out faster on The V6, infact most AT cars for that matter. Also do check the brake discs.

I really dont see any other car that would suit you in that price bracket and AT makes the choice even more limited. The Accord fits your bill perfectly.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:04   #14
BHPian

If you want to play safe, pick up a NHC CVT.

Would give you great FE, comparitively.
Cost significantly less upfront.
And you wont lose more than 35-40 k resale value in 2 yrs of ownership.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

@ACM 2.4MT had better 0-100 figure compared to 3.0 V6 AT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks