Team-BHP - The inevitable question: Linea or Manza or another entry level diesel sedan
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   The inevitable question: Linea or Manza or another entry level diesel sedan (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/70355-inevitable-question-linea-manza-another-entry-level-diesel-sedan.html)

The story so far
We are planning on upgrading our Tata Indica DLS which was bought in 2005 and has now covered over 1 Lakh kilometers. While this has been the 4th or sometimes even the 5th car in the family, it has seen the most amount of action due to it’s workhorse nature. It has been cheap to maintain and run and has endured some pretty bad terrain over the years and these are the qualities that we have appreciated.

However, now the time has come to let her become an office car where the running around will be relatively less and she can enjoy her days in greener pastures.

The new car that we will upgrade to this time around should be a sedan as the boot space comes in handy during Airport runs and not to mention early morning visits to the golf course. I was very tempted to get the Linea Multijet a few months ago but decided to defer the purchase as the Manza was just around the corner. And now that the Manza is here it is time to make a decision.

To put things in perspective , the other daily drive cars that we have in our garage are the SX4 and the OHC 1.5. I would expect to upgrade the OHC next year provided I can find some rationale (The car has done only 50K kms, fastidiously maintained and serviced and has that lovely engine!) – But if the upgrade were to take place, it would probably be a couple of notches higher; say a Fortuner or maybe an A4 or a 3 series. The SX4 will stay on for some more time and may get (up?!)downgraded to a premium hatch a couple of years down the line. So the diesel sedan that we buy now will be the bottom of the rung in our garage and will see considerable usage over the next 4 to 5 years.

The Linea Vs. Manza conundrum
Cross shopping between the Manza & the Linea has become very difficult. The Manza Aura (ABS) is for 6.76 on-road and the Linea Active is 7.37L on-road (Post 15K discount & Two Year Extended Warranty and Free Roadside Assistance). Similarly Aura + works out to 7.26 on-road whereas Dynamic works out to 7.60L on-road with all applicable discounts and the Dynamic Option pack comes out to 7.9L .

So the Manza is anywhere between 10K cheaper to over 1L cheaper depending on the trim and has a ton more features. Both have the same engine, sold and serviced by the same dealership, and have similar levels of quality with the Linea taking the edge here. The Linea is also the better looker of the two – So how does one decide? My personal perspective is that Linea is the car you probably want to drive Vs. Manza is the car you would want to be chauffeured in.

I understand that you don’t get BT and USB and other creature comforts in the lower Linea trims but then I am not sure if these will be utilized at great length post the novelty factor. At the same time the Manza offers a fantastic rear seat, unbelievable VFM and probably lower ownership costs.

When to buy?
Also I am a little confused on when to buy? I would like to get the car as soon as possible but if I need to extend the purchase by a month – that is possible too. Manza will take 4 weeks from date of booking so that would put me very close to Jan 2010. If I am getting the car in Jan 2010; I might as well get a car manufactured in 2010 unless an 09 model is significantly discounted. Then there is the question of whether to wait for anything interesting at the Auto Expo? So when should I pull the trigger here?

Opinions on how to choose amongst the two heavy weights would be appreciated. In the meanwhile, here is our standard template filled out:

Cars short listed
1. Manza Quadrajet Aura (ABS & +) - Considering
2. Fiat Linea Active & Dynamic - Considering
3. Ford Fiesta Diesel - Nixed – Dated design & cramped
4. Hyundai Verna VGT – Considering but it’s an older product so still not sure
5. Chevrolet Optra Magnum – Nixed – Dated design and blows budget
6. Suzuki Dzire – Nixed for aesthetic reasons
7. Any other recommendations would be appreciated – Anything interesting coming out at Auto Expo?

Price range
7L Ideally. Maximum 8L but that would be a stretch

Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations
Should be at minimal intervals and not too expensive (No Skoda suggestions please!). The car will be parked and driven in Jamshedpur, so the dealer should be based out of here. (But Jsr has the usual suspects – Honda, Hyundai, Maruti, Tata-Fiat etc.)

Average distance traveled per month
Based on the usage pattern of our old 2000 Indica DLS and the 2005 DLS, both covered more than 1L kms so it would be safe to peg this at approximately 2000kms a month.

Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc)
1) 75% City and 25% Highway. By Highway I mean Jamshedpur to Ranchi NH33 single lane with a few craptacular stretches!
2) In the City 80% of the roads encountered will be perfect but the remaining 20% will be nasty so good GC is a must.

Chauffer driven / self driven
75% chauffer driven and 25% self driven. Self Driving will be over very short distances.

Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family
The vehicle will be primarily used to drive my Grandfather & Father to their office. They might self drive short distances once in a while and the car will be used by me on rotation when I visit Jamshedpur on occasion. So the car needs to be gentler on older people and have good egress / ingress. Also, I do not think that more than 4 people will be seated in the car at any given time.

Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort)
In ranking:
1) Safety – ABS is a must. Above & beyond is a plus.
2) Rear Seat comfort is important.
3) Big Boot is a plus! (Think 2 golf sets and luggage being ferried to the Airport in Ranchi!)
4) Decently powerful engine – Not looking for a Getz CRDI type tingling sensation but at the same time should not feel like a horse and cart.

How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you)
Probably 5 years or 1L Km whichever comes first. After that it will probably be retired into our office car pool or maybe sold off – either way, will have to be realistic on resale for a car that goes through such high mileage, use & wear-tear.

So based on these points, what would be my best bet here? Worth waiting for something else (If so, what) or pull the trigger on either of these two oil burners?

Thanks & Cheers,
V

I would say Linea. Hope you are of FIAT & its performance machines. That would be a best choice. Linea would look bigger in dimension as well.
Manza is new but didn't like the cues from Vista.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcash (Post 1604328)

My personal perspective is that Linea is the car you probably want to drive Vs. Manza is the car you would want to be chauffeured in.

75% chauffer driven and 25% self driven. Self Driving will be over very short distances.

I have never been inside the Manza. But if the space and comfort level is anywhere near Vista which my Father in law owns and since you also mention on elders being driven in it, Manza it is.

I'll repeat again for nth time on this forum, when it comes to passenger comfort, no one can beat TATA. They are passenger delights.

When i read the thread title i was going to blindly say Linea! But after seeing your requirements like 75% City driving , good rear seat and since you ideally want to buy the car at 7 lacs Manza would be the best bet. Linea would have been better buy if you have the budget for top end , Mostly highway trips( this car is a dream in those roads) and if rear seat space wasnt a criteria( i atleast found rear space less and headroom to be quite less).

You've laid down your requirements pretty accurately so a choice shouldn't be difficult. Personally, I am not a big fan of how the Manza looks. Only for this, I'd choose the Linea. Apart from this I think both the cars are very similar in nature.

- Same Engine
- Same Dealer
- Same workshop

From a price point the Manza makes sense for you.

Quote:

The story so far

Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc)
1) 75% City and 25% Highway. By Highway I mean Jamshedpur to Ranchi NH33 single lane with a few craptacular stretches!
2) In the City 80% of the roads encountered will be perfect but the remaining 20% will be nasty so good GC is a must.

I'd dare to make this generalization that Fiat cars are rock solid and sturdy to manage our Indian roads.

The Manza, to state it very mildly, is not a looker. I am a great fan of the Linea, and yet if i am to go by your requirements, the Manza is the right decision taken by the head. In fact, I might just consider the Manza for my 78 year old mother, if she allows us to sell her Esteem. Her requirements too are being chauffeur driven short distances with easy ingress/egress and ( relatively) long runs to Mumbai International airport to pick-up sons/grandsons/nephews/nieces and their luggage.

The cheapest version of the Linea with abs is the dynamic pack. And this does not have the bells and whistles that one would buy the Linea for (apart from looks and self-driving pleasure). Same engine, same A**, similar boot space, and a much lower price would all suggest the Manza. The Manza also seems to have better rear room space. But please do have a look at the dashboard ( and other interiors too) which you have to look at every time you are in the car, apart from the unflattering exteriors.

I would suggest a Manza if it will be driven by cheuffer or else Manza.

If the prestige factor is also included its Linea or Magnum.

I may be biased since I own one, but while awaiting for my Manza to get ready for delivery, I did spend a good amount of time sitting inside the Linea and felt it was a bit cramped.
No two thoughts on outside looks though. Linea wins hands down.

Vijay

Quote:

Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort)
In ranking:
1) Safety – ABS is a must. Above & beyond is a plus.
2) Rear Seat comfort is important.
3) Big Boot is a plus! (Think 2 golf sets and luggage being ferried to the Airport in Ranchi!)
4) Decently powerful engine – Not looking for a Getz CRDI type tingling sensation but at the same time should not feel like a horse and cart.

Seeing all the above requirements i guess going for the Manza will be the right decision. Since you're chauffeur driven most of the time, Manza will surely give you E class like comfort. The ride is also pretty good for a car for that price. I think you'll have to upgrade to fatter tyres for Linea like ride quality. Then it's even got a very big boot too. The engine is decent, not very exciting to drive but returns good F.E.

I'd have suggested the Linea if rear space wouldn't have been an issue. It's even anyday better looking than the Manza. The Manza will just be another Tata on the road but the Linea has sheer road presence everywhere. But then it'd even cross your budget if you would go for the Dynamic+ package. And Manza offers more equipment for the same price.

All the best:thumbs up

Since you have happily owned an Indica I'd say go for the Manza as it's a new premium offering by TATA and I see no reason why it should not serve you well.

In fact it's very good VFM.

The other options are Verna & Diesel and they are obviously more expensive options and much better performance wise.

I own a Verna and trust me when I say this it is a brilliant car and gives you maximum driving pleasure this side of 10 lacs. Fiesta is also a brilliant car which gives great FE.
But both these options would be close to the 8 lac mark ( top end variants even more )

The Linea I am not sure as I have not driven or reviewed one yet. Looks wise it is the best among the lot.

I guess you should try to go for the Manza and get one in Feb 10 so that it is a newer model.

vcash: Fiat Linea and Tata Indigo Manza are half siblings. For your requirement and budget, it is Manza, IMO.

vcash , it would be the manza for you from your requirements.

Since you have eliminated Dzire, I dont think there is any other car in the above mentioned price range that would offer a diesel. Left over are Manza and Linea.

Out of the two, I suggest you go in for Manza.
1) Great rear space. Very very comfortable as far as space is the comparison parameter.
2) Good FE.
3) Reasonable power.
4) Good boot space too.

About safety, this car has not gone through the ENCAP test. Now ENCAP is my parameter for safety which is not applicable to all.
Overall this is the best buy and I suggest this over Linea.

Linea has got good ride and handling, but not the best rear seat space. Also there are reports of Fiat getting step motherly treatment at Tata dealer and service centers. Note that this also depends a lot on the dealer and may vary from location to location.

But for rear seat space and overall VFM, Mazna is better than Linea.

I would say go for the Linea. Looks much more classier. I saw the Manza in flesh today, doesn't look that good.

Are we confusing you further? :p

Hello Guys,

I am also confused between these 2 cars. Below are my requirements,

Monthly Driving: 1500KMs

Car Usage: Self driven to office. Weekends family outtings with better half and 2 kids. Yearly 2-3 visits by parents. Occasional long distance drive with parents, better and kids.

Petrol/Diesel: Diesel preferred. But I am still confused whether I need Diesel or not.

Build Quality: Need strong and heavy build. Best quality sheet metal.

Ownership Duration: Long-term around 7-8 years atleast.

Variant: Preferably top end

Budget: 7-9L (but would want to optimize)

Linea test drive was impressive both me and better half loved the ride. It absorbded speed breakers without having to press the break. But on a steep speed breaker the front touched the ground. That is concern I have about Linea.

Manza TD is not done yet. TD vehicle not available with the dealer. But had a look at the vehicle in showroom. can't comment on driving exp.

Interior:
Manza is Quite roomy and spacious compared to linea both front and rear seats.
Linea has Auto AC, Blue&me, rear ac vents.

Exterior:
Linea scores over Manza in this aspect.

Resale:
Linea resale not sure
Manza would fetch better resale than Linea. That's my belief. I may be wrong.

The price difference in Nagpur between the top ends:

Linea: comes to 9L (MJD) and 7.8L (FIRE) after current discounts
Manza: comes to 7.38L

I am confused which one to go for. Heart says Linea and head says Manza. Again in Linea I am confused between MJD and FIRE

Please help me make right choice.

vCash,

I hope you don't mind using your thread for getting suggestions, since the topic is same.