Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 16:50   #16
BHPian

Looking at your requirements, Linea seems to be the best option. Even better if you can wait for the Turbo Jet variant to be launched soon, its packed with more features and an awesome engine !

I Love Optra and was considering it too, but its been there too long and somehow i wouldnt consider it anymore... I dont beleive in considering the resale value of any car as a factor to decide a new car purchase, but what i am saying is, a friend recently bought a 3 year old Optra for 3.5 Lakhs from First choice.. the car is in excellent condition and the owner has maintained it very well plus loaded it with accessories, so, getting the same ride quality by spending about 3 times the money, took it off my list. Also no ABS in the optra... ABS is a must IMO, even if you think today you can manage without ABS, a couple of years later with better roads and higher speeds, NO ABS will be a sword hanging all the time !
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:08   #17
BHPian

Optra dropped, Manza va SX4 vs Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I drove the Manza a few days back, the gear box is mighty notchy, Tata may have come lightyears but they still have miles to go yet. There are three Optras in our family two 1.6 and one 1.8 all belonging to Uncles anad the reactions are mixed, one loves the car, the other finds it practical, and one hates the car. As you know I am considering the laura and Skoda *** is keeping me away...well cost of maintenance of GM out of service packages is quite insane as well.
Thanks for that input I am veering away from Optra now. SX4, Manza seem the best of the rest for my requirements/ budget. Though re the Manza gearbox, I've got used to the one on the WagonR so I think I can handle pretty much anything now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartho View Post
Looking at your requirements, Linea seems to be the best option. Even better if you can wait for the Turbo Jet variant to be launched soon, its packed with more features and an awesome engine ! ...

ABS is a must IMO, even if you think today you can manage without ABS, a couple of years later with better roads and higher speeds, NO ABS will be a sword hanging all the time !
After read the following forum post, I wouldn't touch the Linea with a barge pole for the next 1 year at LEAST. Link

I agree with your point re ABS though... The fact that the Optra variants with ABS are clearly out of my reach put another nail in the Optra option for me.

How does one change the thread title now?
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:37   #18
BHPian

Have the perfect car for you, but...

So I know you are looking at a C- (??) sedan segment, but have you seriously considered a Xylo? its a little more than the price of a really good used Innova, comes with a good warranty, has all the goodies you need (may need to stretch the budget a bit for the top of the line one) and being diesel, should be light on the wallet in terms of fuel costs. The good news, you ought to get a good deal on one right now, the even better news, a make over with more stuff in it is around the corner, so no matter the deal, you may want to wait a bit.

The only drawback (depends on opinion) is some people may consider it too big and unwieldy for city driving, but for a long time I've driven an Innova around Bombay and Bangalore, you get used to the size in two shakes of a cats tail.

Cheers
imp!
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
So I know you are looking at a C- (??) sedan segment, but have you seriously considered a Xylo? its a little more than the price of a really good used Innova, comes with a good warranty, has all the goodies you need (may need to stretch the budget a bit for the top of the line one) and being diesel, should be light on the wallet in terms of fuel costs. The good news, you ought to get a good deal on one right now, the even better news, a make over with more stuff in it is around the corner, so no matter the deal, you may want to wait a bit.
Firstly many thanks for sticking with this thread where others have given up (I think!)

Xylo, yes I did consider it even read through the very detailed Xylo ownership thread on this forum. The main turn-offs
- Poor feedback re Mahindra dealers in Pune.
- Lesser luggage space than a WagonR. I realise there are under-seat spaces (very ably illustrated in the ownership threads) but they will not help me store kid's stuff like a pedal car and the plethora of odd-sized luggage I need on a long trip
- My wife gets road sickness very easily and the bobbing ride is a turn-off
- ABS version (I believe a must-have in a vehicle of this size) is outside my budget
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:32   #20
BHPian

Hey no worries man, it looks like you have one hell of a decision to make; but one question, cant the Xylo last row be folded down the same as an Innova? If the cars "bobbing" ride is a major problem, I think you may want to consider a slightly used ( <25000) Innova (I know you don't want a used car but it seems to look like the only thing that will fit the bill) ours has 80K km, will be 100K in the next 6 months and we are planning on keeping it for another two years (may have 150K on the odo by then) and are expecting no issues what so ever. If used is absolutely out of the question, then just wait a bit and see what the new Xylo brings. Also the Tata Indicruz should be coming along as well.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:06   #21
BHPian

so what did you decide eventually?
Old 7th December 2009, 17:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Have you considered Fiesta. Even the new SX4 is really good with upgraded eng.
Old 7th December 2009, 19:26   #23
BHPian

mrwalker,
I owned an Optra as my daily drive back in 2003. I had the LT without the sun roof at the time. Looking back it gave me more pleasure of ownership than my corolla which followed 2 years later.

The Optra is a car that should be considered for comfort, some spirited drive (1.8 petrol or 2.0 diesel) and an overall family saloon.

On space and comfort alone it trumps the SX4, Fiesta, Linea and Verna (IMO).

I never ever found it expensive to maintain, and at the time I owned it it was pretty new to the Indian market, and they didn't have this 3 year maintainance package.
I don't remember a single time over those 2 years that my car broke down for any reason. The only time she was at the garage was for regular service as per the schedule.

Don't even bother about the fact that the Optra is going to be phased out. The important thing is that you spend your money in the right place.
And it's my opinion that putting your money on the Optra LT (Stretch for the safety features) would get you more car for your buck.

Cheers,
I hope my opinion helps you with your decision.
Old 7th December 2009, 19:29   #24
BHPian

Well said DocG,only an Optra owner after owning an other other car knows the value of it and the superior driving experience it offers.
Old 9th December 2009, 18:24   #25
BHPian

Thanks All!

I still feel the Optra is a good vehicle which meets most of my needs but a few key points detract me from considering it
- ABS out of my stretch budget
- Still not as comfortable re long term service costs and availability

I am veering towards the SX4 now, have done a few TDs and have reported this on a separate thread here

Its not perfect, but then nothing is I guess!
Old 10th December 2009, 01:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post
Thanks All!

I still feel the Optra is a good vehicle which meets most of my needs but a few key points detract me from considering it
- ABS out of my stretch budget
- Still not as comfortable re long term service costs and availability

I am veering towards the SX4 now, have done a few TDs and have reported this on a separate thread here

Its not perfect, but then nothing is I guess!
I'd still suggest the optra based on your family size and other requirements. I have nothing against the SX4, like the car a lot, but I have a soft spot for the optra being somewhat the underdog of that bracket.

1) ABS is not a be all end all feature. while it's nice to have, and I've gotten used to it, my Optra didn't have it and I didn't have any trouble. ABS only kicks in during extremely hard braking, and if you drive safely it's not an issue.

2) The manufacturer will have to officially support any car a minimum of 5 years after it's off the market. The Optra is quite economical to maintain, and I speak from experience.

I guess I am trying to manipulate your decision, but only because sometimes getting the bigger car for your money brings a huge smile to your face.

The decision I was faced with all those years back when I got the car was between the Lancer and the Optra (I had an Astra at the time for the days and a Vectra for the nights).
I chose the Optra over the Lancer as it was bigger and more comfortable and had the larger more powerful engine.

On the whole I was happier, and a large part of it was moving from the Astra to the Optra made me feel like I moved a class above.

Similarly my suggestion stems from the fact that the Optra feels like more of a luxo barge than the SX4, and that would always bring a smile to my face!

Cheers.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
I'd still suggest the optra based on your family size and other requirements. I have nothing against the SX4, like the car a lot, but I have a soft spot for the optra being somewhat the underdog of that bracket.
Sigh! Confused again... Should I compromise on some of my requirements (rear seat, ride) and go for SX4 or compromise on some other requirements (ABS, service) and budget and go for Optra...

Also spoke to someone in GM (unofficial) and they say no plans to decommission Optra any time soon...

One question which I asked earlier but got no response: Given the stock tyres and all-round discs how often will the ABS be triggered? Is the answer different for Petrol and Diesel?

Called up dealer, Dec offer on phone is as follows (OTR Pune PMC):
- Petrol LT: 10,00,000/-
- Diesel LT: 11,20,000/-
- Diesel LS: 9,70,000/-
- Petrol LS: 8,50,000/-
- 3 yr/ 45,000 km warranty from GM (includes spares and labour) , Rs 20,000 extra
- Around Rs 10,000 corporate discount...
Old 10th December 2009, 12:27   #28
BHPian

It looks like you may have to stretch your budget here. If you are inclined towards the Optra, do spend a little more and get the version with ABS and Airbags. ABS is must for a car this size. No doubt, the Optra is a class above the SX4 in all respects, and will have you smiling all the way. But for the lower price, the SX4 ZXi is a much safer car, with Airbags, ABS, and EBD. But you have to decide if the 2+ lakh difference is justified for your needs. Just figure out the difference in EMI and get the Optra with ABS, if it sounds right to you.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:47   #29
BHPian

Your driving pattern does not require a diesel motor. Optra / Magnum the USP is diesel and the best diesel to go for at this price range. Moreover the diesel will be away out of your budget. The Petrol ones are good, but just another petrol car.
On the space front certainly you feel that you are in a premium car, interiors are good to feel, Ingress would be a let down compared to SX4 and hence might not be a favourite with elders.

SX4 gets has more goodies for a lesser price, you get a vehicle with latest safety features within your budget. The new SX4 seems to better than the old one and the hump is reduced (if not eliminated). High GC and elders will be happy.

Since your highway drives are fully loaded, the high GC will help you manage surprise bumps and potholes without scrapping. Whenever you sell, SX4 will command a better resale value than Optra.
Old 10th December 2009, 16:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post
Called up dealer, Dec offer on phone is as follows (OTR Pune PMC):
- Petrol LT: 10,00,000/-
- Diesel LT: 11,20,000/-
- Diesel LS: 9,70,000/-
- Petrol LS: 8,50,000/-
- 3 yr/ 45,000 km warranty from GM (includes spares and labour) , Rs 20,000 extra
- Around Rs 10,000 corporate discount...
You've got a quote of old prices. visit the dealer personally & check for the recent price discounts. They would budge more the price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks