Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 21:23   #1
BHPian

2010 Mazda 3 or 2010 Civic EX?

OK Team-Bhpians!

I need these from my car; in the order listed!

1. Fun to drive (Dont need a rice-rocket but have to have a soul!
2. Practical (A Sedan with good residual value as well as less ongoing maintenance cost)
3. Frugal (A highway mile muncher all right, but I cannot trade FTD with just fuel efficiency)
4. A Good built - but doesn't have to be European solid.

My budget is 20K USD (taxes and registration included), and since I am getting good low APRs on new cars, I would rather go with a 2010 model.

My Car shopping has revealed these two cars with the bells and whistles that I need;

1. 2010 Honda Civic EX Sedan (Moonroof/Audio controls on steering and Vehicle stability control etc.)
2. 2010 Mazda 3 Sedan (Moonroof/Bose 10 speaker system, VSC/TCS etc.)

Does anyone here own any of these cars?

Now the Mazda 3 (2.0 Ltr) comes with 148 HP@6500 (Torque - 135@4500) while the Civic (1.8 Ltr) has 140 HP@6000 (Torque - 128@4300).

Clearly, Mazda trumps in pure power figures, but the Civic returns a much better mileage (36 vs 33) which can be credited to lighter curb weight of the Civic (almost 100 Lbs lower than Mazda).

I know the statistics themselves dont always convert to the real world - real driving pleasure and ownership satisfaction, thats the reason I wanted Team-BHP inputs on these.

I have compared the Corolla, which is hugely practical and very fuel efficient, but a bit of a boring drive, so it is out of consideration now.

I havent considered Jetta - anyone have any inputs on this car?

Now, I would be glad if guys who own these cars would come out and list their own positives and negatives. So that I could have some real inputs rather than a sales person pitch.

Thanks!
Old 29th December 2009, 15:39   #2
BHPian

Mazda seems more aggressive. But, I love the Hactchs more than sedan (leaving apart Lancer). But its just my taste. I think Mazda Hatch would be more fun to drive. And considering that you can opt for Volkswagen GTI 2.0L 200 HP!!!
But if you're looking for a sedan 'only' then go for a Mazda. My advice is only from the knowledge from friends and internet. Heck: I havnt even seen a Mazda in real. But if you're looking for a vote then it goes to Mazda.
Goodluck! Cheers.
PS: Where do you stay man?
Old 29th December 2009, 19:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

For pure driving pleasure, Mazda 3.. but the Civic is not that bad either.. This comparison from Edmunds' might help

Old 29th December 2009, 22:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

I take it you are in the US. My sis owns a Maz3 which I drive off and on.... and its an absolutely classy car. Civic feels like a tin can in comparison. Her only complaint is that FE is poor...23 mpg only.

Also check out the newly launched 6th gen Golf. Its a killer deal for the Audi like interior at 17K.

the video shown in post3 is the old Maz3.

Last edited by Mpower : 30th December 2009 at 00:01.
Old 29th December 2009, 23:30   #5
BHPian

In 2004, I was cross shopping between the Civic and a Mazda 3. Instead I got hell of a deal on a new Mazda 6i - It actually worked out to be a couple of grand cheaper than the Mazda 3s. I got a larger car with the same engine as the 3s - a 2.4L 165 bhp 4 pot. Urge you to check out the 6 as well as it is a slow mover. Personaly I thought the 6 handled better than the 3.

Cheers,
V
Old 29th December 2009, 23:39   #6
oss
BHPian

It's a no-brainer - go for Mazda3.
Old 30th December 2009, 00:33   #7
BHPian

I chose Civic over Mazda 3 in 2008 for two reasons -

1. Transmission - I needed an automatic and Mazda came with a 4 speed then. The civic was much smoother. There were reliability concerns with the 4 speed tranny too.

2. Rust issues - there were a lot of rust issues reported with Mazda. I live in the snow belt and the car is practically coated in salt for 3-4 months.

I would still pick up a manual mazda3 over a civic any day.
Old 30th December 2009, 06:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
I havent considered Jetta - anyone have any inputs on this car?
My cousin drives a 2000 model year Jetta (base model with stick shift) - bought new in 1999. No problems so far.
He's covered around 110,000 miles on regular maintenance - oil and fluid changes.

The Civic and the Mazda3 are pretty evenly matched.

ps. Didn't know you were still around in the US.
Have you moved out of NJ now? Didn't catch you on the last drive.
Old 30th December 2009, 10:18   #9
BHPian

@ Sids.
Here in UAE what we get is a Mazda 3 with puny 1.6 Ltr 4 speed Activematic and Civic with 1.8Ltr 5 Speed Paddle shifters.

Still I'd choose Mazda 3 over Civic. Feature rich, Stylish dash, FTD, although not as fast as Civic on a straight road, throw it around the R/A or corners, and see how it handles.
However, M'3 2.0ltr FE is not known. Mazda's depreciate faster than Honda's though (in UAE). Contrary to normal perception, M'3 hatchbacks are pricier than Sedan version!

The M'3 shares same platform and some mechanicals with Ford Focus. Hence the handling prowess.

I'm also on a look out for a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6. Since I get better deals in Mazda 6, I might got for that.
Old 1st January 2010, 22:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
PS: Where do you stay man?
@Vibhanshu - Apologize for not being clear - I am in Richmond, Virginia..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
In 2004, I was cross shopping between the Civic and a Mazda 3. Instead I got hell of a deal on a new Mazda 6i - It actually worked out to be a couple of grand cheaper than the Mazda 3s. I got a larger car with the same engine as the 3s - a 2.4L 165 bhp 4 pot. Urge you to check out the 6 as well as it is a slow mover. Personaly I thought the 6 handled better than the 3.

Cheers,
V
@vcash - I actually was looking at the Maz3 Sport which came with 2.5 Ltr engine of Maz6, but the deals arent coming thru on that yet. I was to squeeze it all in 20k USD incl. taxes and registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
My cousin drives a 2000 model year Jetta (base model with stick shift) - bought new in 1999. No problems so far.
He's covered around 110,000 miles on regular maintenance - oil and fluid changes.

The Civic and the Mazda3 are pretty evenly matched.

ps. Didn't know you were still around in the US.
Have you moved out of NJ now? Didn't catch you on the last drive.
@aah78 - hmmm, Jetta does look enticing now that I looked at the spec sheet of the engine!!

And yes, really missed the drive last time, was preoccupied with a lot of stuff and could not get a breather. I have just moved to Richmond VA (so far away from a quick Tri-State drive :-( now....). But I do really hope to catch up on all the fun stuff now I have some sense of stability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
However, M'3 2.0ltr FE is not known. Mazda's depreciate faster than Honda's though (in UAE). Contrary to normal perception, M'3 hatchbacks are pricier than Sedan version!

The M'3 shares same platform and some mechanicals with Ford Focus. Hence the handling prowess.

I'm also on a look out for a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6. Since I get better deals in Mazda 6, I might got for that.
@Dhar - Mazda depreciation is probably the same here in US, Hondas are known to retain their value everywhere! But feature by feature, I am getting better deals on a Mazda with known FTD factor, which is enticing to me, and dont mind sacrificing a couple thousand dollars in depreciation for that!

@All, I am getting much better deals in NJ instead of VA, so spending the new year weekend shopping for cars here! I am hoping I would be a proud owner of a car before 4th of Jan, which is the last day of year end deals.

If that doesnt work out, I would get a cheapo pre owned corolla

Oh and By the way - Have a Very Happy New Year! May this year brings more performance cars in affordable category and may the Bikers back there in India get the best of the international stuff at edible prices!!
Old 1st January 2010, 23:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

my current car:

JDM Honda Civic 2006

KMs on the clock> 162000kms, still going strong.

major expense or part changed> the left side engine mount.

does Mazda3 comes with a rotory engine or conventional engine?

i would always choose honda over a mazda!
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes high end Maz3 are overlapping with the 6. Happens all the time.

Quote:

@vcash - I actually was looking at the Maz3 Sport which came with 2.5 Ltr engine of Maz6, but the deals arent coming thru on that yet. I was to squeeze it all in 20k USD incl. taxes and registration.
!!
THe 2.0 is also a great engine, but not sure if it comes with sport suspension package.

Keep in mind the Maz3 for some reason is terrible in snow. Winter tires are a must if you live in hi snow areas.
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK Team-Bhpians!

I need these from my car; in the order listed!

My budget is 20K USD (taxes and registration included), and since I am getting good low APRs on new cars, I would rather go with a 2010 model.

My Car shopping has revealed these two cars with the bells and whistles that I need;

1. 2010 Honda Civic EX Sedan (Moonroof/Audio controls on steering and Vehicle stability control etc.)
2. 2010 Mazda 3 Sedan (Moonroof/Bose 10 speaker system, VSC/TCS etc.)

Does anyone here own any of these cars?

Now the Mazda 3 (2.0 Ltr) comes with 148 HP@6500 (Torque - 135@4500) while the Civic (1.8 Ltr) has 140 HP@6000 (Torque - 128@4300).

Clearly, Mazda trumps in pure power figures, but the Civic returns a much better mileage (36 vs 33) which can be credited to lighter curb weight of the Civic (almost 100 Lbs lower than Mazda).
Thanks!
@sids911
How about the Nissan Altima 2010? I see you have not checked it out as it does not find mention anywhere in your post.

The base model comes with a 2.5L, 175 bhp & 18 kgm of torque on the 16 valve 4 cylinder base engine complete with Xtronic CVT with a manual mode and a Bose sound system. Mileage figures are 23/32 for city/highway. Starting price is $19,900 and the Nissans in the US hold their value far better than either the Honda or the Mazda.

The Nissan is a much more fun to drive car than either the Civic or the Mazda 3 and is considered to be a man's car whereas Mazda's are considered more a womans car. Compared to the sculpted lines of the Altima, the new Mazda3 is a funny looking car like a circus joker with a huge grin and the new Civic ia an ugly duckling any which way you look at it. Let us know once you have TD the Altima.

Last edited by khoj : 2nd January 2010 at 00:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks