Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2005, 23:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Our Car Dilemma

I dont know in which section to ask this, so I am posting it here. My Dad has a Sept. 2004 Indigo GLS as a company car (registered in the company's name ). Now due to changing car policies of the company, he is now required to buy it from the company at the current market value of the car (Rs. 3.72 lakhs).
Now, the Indigo is a fine car, big and comfortable, if someone else takes care of the maintenance and fuel bills. Hence the reason we chose this car last year. It has less than 7000 kms on it and does not squeak or rattle (yet!). My question is , is it worth buying at the said price for use for long period (5 years atleast) ? Or is it advisable to sell the car as soon as we have the papers ?
What I was thinking is, sell the Indigo ASAP, and also our other car, a 93' 800 (75000kms), and buy a used OHC. For the above mentioned budget, can we get one ? I am thinking of the OHC as
1. Its a fantastic drivers car.
2. Its a Honda. So it will probably outlast me.
Amongst new cars, we have the option of going for either a Santro, Zen or Wagon R.
What could be the right course of action ? Keeping the Indigo, buying a used OHC or buying a new small car?

Last edited by sajo : 6th September 2005 at 23:10.
Old 6th September 2005, 23:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

I'd say if you can buy new...then dont go in for a second hand vehicle...

Keeping the indigo doesnt make much sense since its a petrol...but if your running isnt much...then it shouldnt be a problem even if you decide to keep it. Its a good car...only thing against it is the efficiency. So if you are ready to foot the fuel bills then keep this car.

Otherwise go in for a new small car.

Drifter
Old 6th September 2005, 23:42   #3
BHPian

Personally I feel you should keep the Indigo. Reason, you were using this vehicle earlier too, so you are sure that there was no misuse. Buying a used OHC is fine, but then again depends on how it was maintained. Buying a small car doesn't make sense, since you won't get the same comfort and space that you are habituated to. Just my 2 cents....let us know what you decide....

Cheers!!!
Old 7th September 2005, 00:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

You may want to stick with Indigo. If you have got used to space, reat seat comfort of Indigo, OHC will not make much sense. If your daily running is not much, FE should not be a big issue.
Old 7th September 2005, 19:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

One option would be to buy the Indigo from the company and then trade it at TATA for a Diesel version. Don't know about the price difference but if its not too significant then this option is better than the OHC, IMO!
Old 8th September 2005, 14:04   #6
BHPian

sajo, OHC is a tempting prospect I admit...but if FE is your buggest concern about the Indigo , how is the bigger engined OHC gonna be so much more fuel efficient ?

Honda reliability and the product is great but we are talking abt an used car here so some of that is an unknown to you while you know the current car is doing well enough on those counts...also I doubt a Santro, Zen , Wagon R should even be options if you are used to a much bigger car...

If driving fun is main requirement then OHC wins but if practicality is the thing maybe you should consider keeping this car or even going for a diesel sedan.
Old 8th September 2005, 14:15   #7
BHPian

if u dont actually need a "sedan" then the best thing for u to do would be to Sell off both ur cars, and buy a new SWIFT or GETZ,, (Getz more, if u can extend ur bugdet to its price...around 50k more than Swift) these cars will give u a good 10 years without any kinda problems in them! and well, maybe more too.
the Getz is more spacious than the indigo, icon or accent, for that matter, except for the boot space of a sedan!
Is boot space a requirement to u? then u hafta keep ur mind on the Sedan.

OHC is good, but then as u said, its good if someoen else pays the bills. OHC doesnt give problems, but when it does, its very expensive getting it done. compared to a Swift/Getz.

and well, todays traffic conditions, its better off buying a good Hatch, than a sedan!
Old 8th September 2005, 14:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

We had sold our crashed 8 months old Indigo Diesel LS, company owned, to a salvage vendor for 2.4 Lakhs. Got Rs.1.5L for the insurance vendor. The total cost we recovered for it is Rs.3.9 Lakhs.

I understood that salvage buyer could sell that car after making up in the range Rs.3.75-Rs.4L. Considering the sale value of the above mentioned car & the place of sale, the value you pay for the petrol vehicle GLX (Rs.3.72/-) seems to be on the higher side. Please verify for the current market rates over there. Also I understood we can't do much negotiations on these deals.

If your'e comfortable with the car, you can retain existing INDIGO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
. OHC doesnt give problems, but when it does, its very expensive getting it done. compared to a Swift/Getz.

and well, todays traffic conditions, its better off buying a good Hatch, than a sedan!

100% I agree with Insane Devil on this. None of the owners are willing to part with OHC until it gives trouble. Once it starts to give problems, you have lot of headache with that.

If you choose Swift, you will end up with delivery problem. If budget is not an issue, may be you can go for Getz. ( You hate Zen, once you take your seat either in Swift or Getz)
Old 8th September 2005, 18:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys.Having used both an Indica2000 and an Indigo, we decided to keep the Indigo for the time being , as we are used to the spaciousness. Though a big boot and good FE are not immediate requirements, they are an added bonus. Maybe after a couple of years, Dad may decide to go in for Japanese,when hopefully, we have a wider choice.
Old 8th September 2005, 18:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Considering the sale value of the above mentioned car & the place of sale, the value you pay for the petrol vehicle GLX (Rs.3.72/-) seems to be on the higher side. Please verify for the current market rates over there. Also I understood we can't do much negotiations on these deals.
Last month's ACI or Overdrive (dont remember which), carried a guide to buying used Indigos. The indicated price for a 2004 Indigo was 3.80 Lakhs in Mumbai. But will still verify with other car dealers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks