Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 18:22   #1
BHPian

SX4 automatic

Hi all,
I have a Honda CityZX with a manual gearbox. I am quite happy with it except that the clutch is quite hard and makes it annoying to drive around in dense traffic. The car has completed 35000kms.

I was thinking of buying the new Maruti SX4 which now features VVT engine and an automatic gearbox.
I have read that the SX4's auto box is only 4-speed and is not as good as the All New Honda City's 5-speed gearbox. But I am still interested in the SX4 as it is Rs 2 lakhs lesser than the City and has a better ground clearance.

I have contacted Maruti dealers and was told that that the SX4 automatic isn't in production until April '10.
Then I started getting the doubt that the auto box might be faulty.

The two main doubts I have are:

1. Is it worth replacing my CityZX with the new SX4 automatic? Is it a wise decision?
2. Is the SX4's automatic gearbox a reliable one? Or are there any defects in the design?

Thank you

Regards,
Vignesh G
vignesh.giridharan@yahoo.co.in
Old 30th January 2010, 14:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshg View Post
Hi all,
I have a Honda CityZX with a manual gearbox. I am quite happy with it except that the clutch is quite hard and makes it annoying to drive around in dense traffic. The car has completed 35000kms.
Next time you take your car for service, ask them to sort this out. They will probably bleed the clutch and you will find it much better.

Quote:
1. Is it worth replacing my CityZX with the new SX4 automatic? Is it a wise decision?
If you drive a lot in traffic, it makes perfect sense to buy an automatic.

Regarding which automatic, I recommend that you try Honda City, SX4 and Verna to see which one you like. You can't go wrong with a Honda however going over speed breakers is a pain.

Quote:
2. Is the SX4's automatic gearbox a reliable one? Or are there any defects in the design?
I don't think you should worry about the possible defect. IMO Maruti cars might have had small niggles like rattling sound etc but their engine and transmission have been great so if you want to buy SX4, go for it!

Also look at following threads

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-my-views.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...automatic.html

Last edited by hondadude : 30th January 2010 at 14:29.
Old 31st January 2010, 22:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshg View Post
No Reason for you to sell your car. A Honda at 35000 kms is nothing.

You should take it to a Honda Service centre and get it looked at. Should be in Warranty ?
Old 1st February 2010, 12:24   #4
BHPian

Thank you very much hondadude,
I will do the clutch bleeding.

Regards,
Vignesh
Old 1st February 2010, 12:28   #5
BHPian

Thanks very much vkochar,
I had asked my Honda dealer (Dakshin Honda, BLore) about the clutch being hard. He quoted me a price of Rs 19k for the whole clutch set and another dealer (Whitefield Honda, BLore) Rs 9k. for the clutch plate.
I was confused. Hence I was undecided.

Thanks
Regards,
Vignesh
Old 1st February 2010, 14:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Vignesh,

Please go through the following thread if you haven't already done so.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-overhaul.html
Old 10th March 2010, 15:27   #7
BHPian

Confused with the new SX4 automatic

Hi all,
I own a 2008 Honda CityZX with a manual gearbox. It has clocked 35,000km. Although, my father and I enjoy driving this car, my father who suffers from knee and ankle pain, finds the clutch too hard and finds it even hard to operate in dense traffic.
I suggested the idea of buying the new SX4 with the VVT engine and automatic gearbox. We have test-driven the car several times and we liked it.
However, we are still undecided between these options:
1.Retaining the City and replacing the clutch set so that the pain my father faces will vanish for a few years.
2.Buying the new SX4 automatic.

Although the SX4 is loaded and offers a lot of value, it is simply not as nimble to drive in city traffic as the City is. The steering is very tight and the car feels heavy.
The interior plastics too don’t match up to the quality of my current car.
Another thing that worries me is the fuel efficiency of the SX4 AT and it’s performance on the highway as it is equipped only with a 4-speed box.

We are confused and not able to make up our minds.
Please advise.

Thank you
Regards,
Vignesh Giridharan
vignesh.giridharan@gmail.com

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th March 2010 at 16:01. Reason: Please dont spam the forum with similar threads. If you want to modift title use report post. Thanks
Old 10th March 2010, 19:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you can afford to do so then sell the ZX and get the ANHC 1.5VAT OR you could try and get a pre owned Civic or Corolla AT. There are some really fine cars available out there in this segment.

I believe our physical discomfort should be attended to first and not aggravated as that can lead to further complications. DO remember there are no Human Genuine Parts available. If it helps you in any way we sold our ZX within 6 months of purchase thankfully we had retained our OHC so the decision was very quick and do read the thread below where the author sold his OHC Vtec to buy a pre owned Civic AT.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...nda-civic.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks