Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:33   #1
BHPian

Opel Astra Club - is it worthwhile now?

Hi guys,

I have a good offer from a friend of mine and hence the confusion.

The discussion is around an Opel Astra Club at sub 1L price. Its run about 50,000+ kms and is maintained very well. i do not have a car and this would be my city+highway driving car.

The confusion is that even though it comes loaded with goodies, is it a worthwhile buy in todays date? I was planning to go for a 1.6 GTX and have been on the lookout for a good GTX for about a month now.

the comparision:

GTX:
* more powerful
* Costlier
* More fun to drive
* smaller car so more comfortable in the city
* same mileage
* lesser issue of spare parts of the 2

Astra:
* Astra club, so is fully loaded
* ABS, safety bags, etc etc etc etc
* well maintained and much more comfortable
* problems with spare parts
* costlier spare parts

Which car should i go for? help guys?
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:01   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Agreed it may be a well maintained, carefully kept car.

You have yourself listed out the pros and cons of owning and having a car like this.

GM hasnt really covered itself with glory in terms of servicing these vehicles in the past. Now since the car itself is no longer in production, I wonder whether you will get spares and the question always remains at what cost.

Frankly only an enthusiast with access to more than one vehicle will invest in a car like this in todays times.

If I were you I would buy a more contemporary, easy to maintain, service, own and run kind of vehicle, in which case, frankly even the 1.6 GTX Palio is suspect!

It is after all your first car, and you intend driving it regularly in-city and on highways too. I would bear in mind potential risk of break-down/ service while driving on highways and for this reason alone, would opt for a more contemporary as well as more reliable vehicle.

Think on it and decide!
all the best
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Agreed it may be a well maintained, carefully kept car.

You have yourself listed out the pros and cons of owning and having a car like this.

GM hasnt really covered itself with glory in terms of servicing these vehicles in the past. Now since the car itself is no longer in production, I wonder whether you will get spares and the question always remains at what cost.

Frankly only an enthusiast with access to more than one vehicle will invest in a car like this in todays times.

If I were you I would buy a more contemporary, easy to maintain, service, own and run kind of vehicle, in which case, frankly even the 1.6 GTX Palio is suspect!

It is after all your first car, and you intend driving it regularly in-city and on highways too. I would bear in mind potential risk of break-down/ service while driving on highways and for this reason alone, would opt for a more contemporary as well as more reliable vehicle.

Think on it and decide!
all the best
I agree that the Astra would be a tough car to maintain, but a lot of Bhpians have hinted that Palio would be comparatively easier. Its just that the price of the car was shocking, hence the confusion.

And a correction to my last post is that this would be my second car. I already drive a M800 though it my dad's car.
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:23   #4
BHPian

i'd say avoid. While part may be available but not easily for sure. Astra's were known for niggles and guzzling fuel. Id say go for the Palio.
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:32   #5
BHPian

Maintenance is on the higher side. Err, very much on the higher side. Since you used Maruti for so many years, you will have to pay 2-3 times more for each servicing. I read somewhere in this forum about a member who went door to door to sell his Opel. And he said, atlast he fooled someone in buying it

Also, it will not have BS III, be a gas guzzler, etc. But if you are buying the car purely for gizmos, wait for some time and buy a Skoda 1.8 RS. But even that will be costly. So GTX should be the best bet, or say a lancer.
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Avoid it. If not, be prepared to shell out money & time for servicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Since you used Maruti for so many years, you will have to pay 2-3 times more for each servicing.
Jaiswal said that he does not have a car and this would be his city+highway driving car or did I miss something?
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
i'd say avoid. While part may be available but not easily for sure. Astra's were known for niggles and guzzling fuel. Id say go for the Palio.
Point taken Balenpower. Will avoid for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Maintenance is on the higher side. Err, very much on the higher side. Since you used Maruti for so many years, you will have to pay 2-3 times more for each servicing. I read somewhere in this forum about a member who went door to door to sell his Opel. And he said, atlast he fooled someone in buying it

Also, it will not have BS III, be a gas guzzler, etc. But if you are buying the car purely for gizmos, wait for some time and buy a Skoda 1.8 RS. But even that will be costly. So GTX should be the best bet, or say a lancer.
That itself says a lot. Will stick to looking out for GTX's for now
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Since its your friend offering the car, ask him where he got it serviced. If he could maintain it so well, then I guess its a place where they do have spares. The availability of spares is your biggest issue. The Astra costs more to run too, but this should be offset to a good extent by the initial price which is dirt cheap for most Astras.
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Avoid. For the simple reason that it will drain it completely in case of servicing and an occasianal breakdown or spare part issue. During these times, the goodies wont do any good.

I understand that Sunroof, alloys, boot spoiler, ABS, Airbags dual paint scheme and very very comfortable ride are highly desirable that too at sub 1 lak. Still, let the head rule over the heart.

Still not convinced - Go to the service center (or call them) and tell them you need to replace the entire front suspension assembly and need a time frame and quote for the same for your Astra.
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

A colleague of mine had bought a 6 years old 60k + done Astra way back in 2004 for 1.6 lakh and sold it off for 1 Lakh within 6 months. Reasons for selling it off so soon:
  1. Very high maintenance
  2. Fuel guzzler
  3. Spare Parts issue.
So if you have too much money and don't know how to blow it, I suggest you give me some
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

My 0.02c - if it is your primary mode of transport, avoid the Astra. I love the Astra Club, but had to keep away from it for the same reason.

Palio GTX, while a good choice, is again not the most economical option out there. Not sure about your budget, but why not a new Punto?
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Still not convinced - Go to the service center (or call them) and tell them you need to replace the entire front suspension assembly and need a time frame and quote for the same for your Astra.
Ha Ha, that will surely scare you off for good. If it was so good a deal, why would your friend want to part with it so cheap? These are white elephants, look good but damn difficult to maintain. My advise would be: Avoid this car !!!
Old 4th February 2010, 10:23   #13
BHPian

Thanks Mclaren, Bipin, Milecruncher, Phoenix, lalvaz for your comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Since its your friend offering the car, ask him where he got it serviced. If he could maintain it so well, then I guess its a place where they do have spares. The availability of spares is your biggest issue. The Astra costs more to run too, but this should be offset to a good extent by the initial price which is dirt cheap for most Astras.
Daily commute in the car would be good but as you mentioned spares would be a problem. He is in Coimbatore and wants to upgrade to a Diesel car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Avoid. For the simple reason that it will drain it completely in case of servicing and an occasianal breakdown or spare part issue. During these times, the goodies wont do any good.

I understand that Sunroof, alloys, boot spoiler, ABS, Airbags dual paint scheme and very very comfortable ride are highly desirable that too at sub 1 lak. Still, let the head rule over the heart.

you got me totally convinced. I don’t need to call up the service center at all. Your confidence is enough for me to back out from the deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
A colleague of mine had bought a 6 years old 60k + done Astra way back in 2004 for 1.6 lakh and sold it off for 1 Lakh within 6 months. Reasons for selling it off so soon:
  1. Very high maintenance
  2. Fuel guzzler
  3. Spare Parts issue.
So if you have too much money and don't know how to blow it, I suggest you give me some
if I had too much money, I would cruising on the Leh Highway in a good 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
My 0.02c - if it is your primary mode of transport, avoid the Astra. I love the Astra Club, but had to keep away from it for the same reason.

Palio GTX, while a good choice, is again not the most economical option out there. Not sure about your budget, but why not a new Punto?
your 0.02 cents well taken. Punto is way out of my range now. I plan to use a second hand car for a year or 2 before the car wars begin. With so many cars lined up to launch in the year and a half, I think its better for me to wait around and watch the companies fight it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Ha Ha, that will surely scare you off for good. If it was so good a deal, why would your friend want to part with it so cheap? These are white elephants, look good but damn difficult to maintain. My advise would be: Avoid this car !!!
point taken.Have told my friend that I would not be going for the car
Old 9th July 2010, 22:49   #14
evo
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-review-3.html

Read this if you are at all considering an Astra Club.
Old 9th July 2010, 23:31   #15
BANNED

jaiswal for that money you can buy a better M800 and have peaceful drive.

My friend has bought a Opel Corsa Swing and he is now bleeding.

Mileage is 7-8,No availability of spares and if avlb its costly or you get a 2nd hand one which will not have any guarantee.

So avoid both the cars and go for a M800

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks