Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2010, 09:09   #1
BHPian

Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI Vs BMW 320i

A few days ago, the Chandigarh BMW dealership offered me a "good deal" on the 320i hinting that it may be less than Rs 27 lakh ex-showroom. They may even give a better deal as they have called me several times. The 320i has all the "goodies" that the 320d highline has though to me the latter is the better car of one has the money for it.The 1.8 TSI costs under Rs 21 lakh on road in Chandigarh.

I was wondering what members have to say about the 1.8 TSI Vs the 320i?
ivar1951 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2010, 09:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Often, the mistake people make which causes the upgrade more atractive is comparing OTR to ex-showroom. On one hand you have the Superb at about 21 lac OTR. OTOH you have the 320i which (I'm not familiar with the road tax structure in CH) should be a good bit more than the 27L ex-showroom you've indicated. The difference, then, is about 7+ lacs, and you have to decide what more you're getting in the BMW over the Superb.

If you're chauffeur driven, both will be fine although the balance tilts in favour of the Superb because of the better ride quality and better rear legroom. If you're self-driven, even so both cars will be good options except that the Superb will feel like a big lazy aircraft carrier while the BMW will feel more like a focused submarine and will be an overall more rewarding experience.

What you have to decide, then, is whether the significant price differential is worth the badge, and the more rewarding driving experience.

Also consider that the Superb would ideally not cost you as much as the Beemer to buy+maintain for 4-5 years. The BMW is going to be one expensive maintenance proposition, unless you go in with BSI (not that that's cheap). FE wise, I think they should both be on par, infact I would expect the BMW to be a little more efficient inspite of the Skoda's DSG.

BTW, I suspect here that you're being offered '09 cars for both the Skoda and the Beemer. Check.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2010, 10:47   #3
BHPian

Thank you Flying spur for your comments.

I mostly drive myself. Although one owner in Chandigarh and a member on this forum have said that they do not find the Superb too long for self driving, I still feel that it is a bit long for self-driving.

The 1.8 TSI I know for sure is a 2010 model but I'll have to check about the 320i but I have my suspicion, as you, that it may be a 2009 model and that's why they are pushing hard.

Any idea if the 320i is being phased out?
Old 13th March 2010, 11:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

320i's dont move- either from the showroom or on the road - period. Hence incentives
Old 13th March 2010, 12:32   #5
BHPian

320i's were sold for an ex-showroom price of as low as 23 lacs in end 2009.

Bargain Hard !! There are hardly any takers for the 320i.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks