Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 09:56   #1

Linea mjd or Jetta tdi

Hi guys,

An NRI friend of mine interested in buying the jetta and asked my advice. I have a linea mjd and i havnt driven a jetta yet. I want to suggest him the linea but wanna know how better is the jetta over the linea as its priced much higher. What are the extra gadjets it provides etc.

Also in the running for him was the laura which i strongly adviced against thanks to all the horror stories on tbhp.

Does the jetta tdi justify its premium over the linea? Is it more upmarket and more comfortable? How good is the rear space?
Pls advice urgently as my friend arrives shortly.thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th May 2010 at 14:54. Reason: Please post in relevant sub forums, suggest you to go through Announcements section before proceeding. Thanks
Old 17th May 2010, 18:38   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Linea makes a tight case for itself at the asking price. It can easily match or beat the Jetta on equipment, ride & handling. On the other hand, the Jetta has more power (about 18 additional horses), impeccable fit & finish (Linea quality is below segment average) and an automatic gearbox (highly recommended) as an option. If he has the budget and is particular about "premiumness", he wont be happy with the Linea. If he's looking at value, he would do well by test driving the Fiat.

To answer your questions, yes the VW is more upmarket. No one buys a Jetta for rear seat comfort though. Space at the back is only average.
Old 17th May 2010, 20:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Linea makes a tight case for itself at the asking price. It can easily match or beat the Jetta on equipment, ride & handling. On the other hand, the Jetta has more power (about 18 additional horses), impeccable fit & finish (Linea quality is below segment average) and an automatic gearbox (highly recommended) as an option. If he has the budget and is particular about "premiumness", he wont be happy with the Linea. If he's looking at value, he would do well by test driving the Fiat.

To answer your questions, yes the VW is more upmarket. No one buys a Jetta for rear seat comfort though. Space at the back is only average.
the jetta is only available in manual as of now. the new DSGs are yet to be launched.
Old 19th May 2010, 13:15   #4
evo
BHPian

The Jetta and Linea feel very very different from each other. On a purely rational basis they can be compared, but otherwise, the Jetta is obviously in a different league.
Old 20th May 2010, 09:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Both cars are totally different in terms of segments. Although I really do not care for a segment as long as a car drives well.

I'd suggest he give the Cruze AT 6 speed a try or a look.
Old 20th May 2010, 09:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

He is looking at different classes here (or you are). Look between Jetta, Cruze, Skoda for diesels. Civic and Corolla for petrols.
Old 20th May 2010, 09:47   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by canon View Post
I want to suggest him the linea but wanna know how better is the jetta over the linea as its priced much higher. What are the extra gadjets it provides etc.
Why would you want to suggest a linea MJD to a person who can afford to buy a Jetta? IMO, he could look at cars like Chevy Cruze, Corolla Altis instead?

What are his requirements? Is it self driven? Does he look for brand value? Whats the usage per month? Such details could really add value to this thread.
Old 20th May 2010, 21:21   #8

Hi again.
he is not much bothered on class, driver appeal etc. a retiree he may use the vehicle mostly for his daily outings to his club for a peg or two. he thinks jetta cause he's been using one abroad thats all. well hell ya i know both are different class vehicles, but question is why pay so much when all he does is go out to his club.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

A going to the club car - well forget the Cruze.

Tell him to go for the Honda City. Good resale, Good Image and zero maintanance.
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canon View Post
Hi again.
he is not much bothered on class, driver appeal etc. a retiree he may use the vehicle mostly for his daily outings to his club for a peg or two. he thinks jetta cause he's been using one abroad thats all. well hell ya i know both are different class vehicles, but question is why pay so much when all he does is go out to his club.
The question itself is the answer. If you observe/survey the club goers and the Sunday brunch crowd at the 5 stars you will be surprised to know that 90% of them select their cars based on the image it projects. Upfront no one will admit it but a few club price drinks or free flowing magnums of cheap brunch champagne later it is all about keeping up with the Jones.

For that purpose the Altis should be the car of choice especially the AT as this vehicle combines the image + convenience of an autobox + price level + rear seat comfort + good resale + ease of maintenance = favourite of (retiree or otherwise) club members and the Sunday forenoon crowd here in the capital.
Old 24th May 2010, 20:33   #11

Thanks All

i guess let the old chap come home and decide for himself. as far as i understand from the replies hes spoilt for choice.
thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The question itself is the answer. If you observe/survey the club goers and the Sunday brunch crowd at the 5 stars you will be surprised to know that 90% of them select their cars based on the image it projects. Upfront no one will admit it but a few club price drinks or free flowing magnums of cheap brunch champagne later it is all about keeping up with the Jones.

For that purpose the Altis should be the car of choice especially the AT as this vehicle combines the image + convenience of an autobox + price level + rear seat comfort + good resale + ease of maintenance = favourite of (retiree or otherwise) club members and the Sunday forenoon crowd here in the capital.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks