Team-BHP - Planning on a new sedan, but which one?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Planning on a new sedan, but which one? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/82161-planning-new-sedan-but-one.html)

After three years of the Swift VDI, I am planning to move into sedan category. As is customary, I am putting down my needs and wants, and want both newbies and veterans to comment on what is best for me. So read on.

Its best if I say what made me change course from continuing with Swift before I dwell further, so that one can understand why the sudden need. I live in Bangalore used to drive 40km daily to work (back and forth) and partly signal laden and partly signal free roads of this distance. After a change in job, I drive about 5-6km one way to work now. Some weekends longer within city, and say once in six odd months a longer trip of anywhere between 150-200km one way.

Though the swift did not let me down in terms of engine, here is what I sorely missed after seeing newer cars and after the long drives put forth the same:

The master reason why I am changing my car is because it rattles. It rattles on windows, doors, dashboard, in my head, everywhere.

Having said this, my swift would fetch somewhere close to 4 lakh now if sold, and I can plonk in another 4-5 lacs. The need is for a sedan with the following features:

In the quest for all this, I ended up spotting Linea, Corolla Diesel, Innova (yes though its a different segment, it still had what I wanted at my price more or less), and the yet to be launched Etios Sedan and Polo Sedan.

I did consider some petrol vehicles like the Honda City, Fiesta petrol, but these did not meet my criteria mentioned above. Verna was outdated in design, so did not consider this and I have also heard this car gives you more power than you can manage and one has to be careful with this while driving.

Optra magnum diesel does not appeal to me as I want something refreshing. Honda city does not have climate control for a very high price at that.

So in the end I am left with an underpowered Fiat Linea (where I have to put with the underpoweredness, and TATA for servicing), an Innova which is a strong contender (except parking space and manouvering) and the Polo Sedan - I just hope they launch it with all bells and whistles like Linea albeit with a more powerful engine. The corolla is out more or less since diesel will be 14+ and thats not what I can or need to afford.

The only reason for looking for a Honda or Toyota is reliability and peace of mind which becomes essential when you plonk in huge amounts of money on this. Also the ownership is atleast 7 years from now. Yeah, I don't intend to change again honestly. Fiat is great, but they have a perfect knack of giving you the creeps when it comes to servicing. Efforts are great, but end results still lacking. I mean how often have you given your TVS bike to a bajaj service center? Sounds a bit off the beaten path for me atleast.

Have i considered old petrols or diesels (civics, crv's?) oh yea I have but just that I am all the more confused on this golden investment which brings me back to the value I get out of the money I pay (old or new) as per priorities listed above.

So as usual I am asking all of you to suggest me what my money can buy. An yes I do have the time, time to wait until the polo sedan is launched and perhaps the T-jet linea and corolla diesel all due by july and perhaps a couple of months more. If its innova, I will make a deal in december and avail depreciation benefits.

So let your thoughts hit me hard and fast, even if I get black eyed. :D

I have an innova with the climate control - however a few observations.
[quote=GeekSrik;1902516]

Quote:

climate control - though A/C was great in yesteryears, i have a problem with just A/c, me and my wife sneeze a lot if the temperature is not properly maintained. So there is now a need for precise cabin temperature
Just a slight twist of the Temp control knob / slider should give you the right temperature

Quote:

defogger - its a pity that for a 6-lac car i did not have this feature, and when it rains, no matter what all people have suggested and what all I have tried as well, the windows fog up horribly to an extent that I cant see anything to my sides. With hurricanes blowing in Bangalore, its time for a proper defogger
You can use the AC and the rear window would clear up in a minute-again, set the temperature according to your needs using the temp control knob and you will not miss the defogger..not unless it SNOWS.

Quote:

good visibility on side windows - the swift is horrible at this and I have faced problems umpteen number of times where I felt this could have been a lot lot better.
Quote:

more than reasonable rear seating - Of late this is becoming a pain point in swift, and its time I get good seating space at the rear as well.
  • abs/ebd
  • airbags - These are not there in my car, and I feel these are of paramount importance for my next car.

Agree completelyOf all the cars you suggested - you will get a good amount of the things you wish in the Innova - great visibility apart from the bad A Pillar, climate control, ABS, Airbags, MID, Rear defogger etc etc but the cost of the correct variant would we 12-15 lakhs depending on where you live.

It is reasonably rattle free as well though the engine wont be as peppy as the swift and the car will be a little less fun to drive but certainly more comfortable on long journeys.

i think you should buy the linea. it would fit your needs perfectly. it has all the gadgets that you want, MID and bluetooth, controls on the steering. if its the diesel i dont think the 90ps unit is really underpowered, of course its not very quick. the t-jet linea might be launched soon.

oh yes and its built pretty solidly so you wont get rattles and noises.

If you absolutely MUST buy a car right now, I'd say the Linea is the only one with all the bells & whistles you desire. To the best of my knowledge, Punto, Linea & Figo are the only cars this side of 10 lakhs which offer Bluetooth.
Its good to know you're giving safety its due importance too.
But, overall, the interiors of the Linea, its MID, power-to-weight ratio, a.s.s, & lack of adequate rear headroom disappoint.

My personal view will be that a sedan will offer much more enjoyment than an Innova considering your kind of running.

If you're ready to wait:
1. Hyundai Verna Transform - It'll take off from where the i20 ended & am expecting it to be packed with tech to the brim with Hyundai CRDi to boot. Would give it serious consideration if i was you
2. Polo sedan - no specs really out there yet & i'm unsure if it'll actually hit the markets in the next year
3. Linea T-jet - overcomes the issues with power but the remaining flaws are still pretty much there

I have to say looking at your lists of requirements (which cannot be labelled unreasonable by any means), i truly felt an unmet need of a good diesel sedan less than 10L that should satisfy the criteria. I'm hopeful the new entrants will do it or at least come close

LINEA suits your needs PERFECTLY!

My other option would be the New 2010 Ford Fiesta.

My money would be on either the Linea or the Optra Magnum with that stonking diesel under the hood. Honda City offers too little for the money, Verna is too soft and wallowy for the engine power.

Ford Fiesta is a pretty good buy but then when you know that new one would be out soon, you may want to wait.

Linea, Optra Magnum Diesel or wait? The choice is yours.

Currently, the only option you have seems to be the Linea or the Innova. But if you're willing to sacrifice the climate control, the Manza has everything else. And it is more drivable than the Linea. It has the best back seat comfort, has safety features and Bluetooth.

I think the Swift ZDi also has all the features except bluetooth. Though the Bluetooth issue can be solved with a car kit from Nokia, the rattles cannot. Also the SX4 has climate control.

The top variant of the Mitsubishi Cedia also has climate control, though no Bluetooth.

[quote=Buffetfan;1902612]I have an innova with the climate control - however a few observations.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekSrik (Post 1902516)

Of all the cars you suggested - you will get a good amount of the things you wish in the Innova - great visibility apart from the bad A Pillar, climate control, ABS, Airbags, MID, Rear defogger etc etc but the cost of the correct variant would we 12-15 lakhs depending on where you live.

It is reasonably rattle free as well though the engine wont be as peppy as the swift and the car will be a little less fun to drive but certainly more comfortable on long journeys.

innova top end is 10.64 lacs, which i can get for about 10 lacs at year end deals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 1902627)
i think you should buy the linea. it would fit your needs perfectly. it has all the gadgets that you want, MID and bluetooth, controls on the steering. if its the diesel i dont think the 90ps unit is really underpowered, of course its not very quick. the t-jet linea might be launched soon.

oh yes and its built pretty solidly so you wont get rattles and noises.

whilst i agree completely with you on linea - this is really one car which I drive out and just enjoy as it is all the way upto safety and tech and alloys, the servicing options give jitters to me considering i already owned a palio when it launched and was with sundaram at that time. at 9.3 OTR, the only issues with linea are perhaps its power and service nightmares. at about 1 lac more there is innova.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicmaker23 (Post 1902690)
If you absolutely MUST buy a car right now, I'd say the Linea is the only one with all the bells & whistles you desire. To the best of my knowledge, Punto, Linea & Figo are the only cars this side of 10 lakhs which offer Bluetooth.
Its good to know you're giving safety its due importance too.
But, overall, the interiors of the Linea, its MID, power-to-weight ratio, a.s.s, & lack of adequate rear headroom disappoint.

My personal view will be that a sedan will offer much more enjoyment than an Innova considering your kind of running.

If you're ready to wait:
1. Hyundai Verna Transform - It'll take off from where the i20 ended & am expecting it to be packed with tech to the brim with Hyundai CRDi to boot. Would give it serious consideration if i was you

when is this coming? i ve seen no articles on this yet in ACI or overdrive?

2. Polo sedan - no specs really out there yet & i'm unsure if it'll actually hit the markets in the next year

according to ACI its coming in june

3. Linea T-jet - overcomes the issues with power but the remaining flaws are still pretty much there

I have to say looking at your lists of requirements (which cannot be labelled unreasonable by any means), i truly felt an unmet need of a good diesel sedan less than 10L that should satisfy the criteria. I'm hopeful the new entrants will do it or at least come close

I am at the same point now. the perfection levels still leave a lot of basic things to yearn for.

GeekSrik; If not please follow http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-ranking.html

very informative post

the innova top end will definitely be more than 10.64 lacs especially in bangalore. am i missing something here?please:

these are costs for the last but one model in terms of price in bangalore (ex showroom of course)

2.5 GX (Diesel) 8 1,030,042
2.5 GX (Diesel) 7 1,026,071
2.0 GX (Gasoline) 8 965,577

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekSrik (Post 1902944)
these are costs for the last but one model in terms of price in bangalore (ex showroom of course)

2.5 GX (Diesel) 8 1,030,042
2.5 GX (Diesel) 7 1,026,071
2.0 GX (Gasoline) 8 965,577

aaah, but the gx is missing alloys, airbags, audio controls on the steering and the MID.

The VW Vento and Fiat Linea 1.6MJD are the cars to wait for.

If you cannot wait:

Linea in its current form is a nice car, the only disappointment is the average performance, if you are not among the ones who revv and race all the time the Linea has very good driveability. A visit at Fiat ASC every 15,000kms won't be that painful, trust me i own a Punto i have to rarely deal with Tata Fiat ASC guys because of the long 15k kms service interval and very well engineered car.

Verna no doubt has an excellent engine but most of other things are not as good, if you wish to use rear seats avoid this car, not due to space issues but due to the terrible bouncy suspension. I hate to sit at Verna's rear seats. This car does not come with Airbags in any variant.

Fiesta again has just average performance and feels outdated, but the Ride, handling and steering is really good. This car is not as spacious as Verna or Honda City. Fiesta does not have a Climate control system.

Going by your requirements, linea and innova will be suitable for you. You've stated that you are going to keep this car for seven years. So, reliability factor comes in and out goes the Linea!! I'd say better not to take chances with Linea's A.S.S. If you can afford a 12 - 13 lakh car, get the Innova V. Dont give much importance to the bluetooth feature. It can be retro fitted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anand123 (Post 1903035)
reliability factor comes in and out goes the Linea!!

What makes you think that Linea is an unreliable car?