Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:37   #1
BHPian

Buying a used Skoda L&k

Hi,
I'm planning to by used skoda l&k. the car which i've seen are done around 40k to 50k and are 2005 model. after reading reviews from fellow members my mind says don't go for skoda but heart still says skoda. i'm liking the fuel effeiciency and also the features which make me feel that i should go for it. experts your advice needed on what should i do, should i go for skoda or not. and also if you all can help me getting the right price for used L&k 2005 model, done around 45k in mumbai.
Mod's i tried searching similar thread but couldn't find clear answers hence this post.
thanks in advance
saurabh
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:24   #2
BHPian

I love the used car market of Mumbai, its the best - you get variety, choice, and plenty of low age models and at the cheapest rate in India - so you should be able to strike a deal.

But... 50K is when you start to throw your good money on a bad Skoda, look for low mileage cars even if it means picking up a petrol (1.8T not the 2.0) you are better off with lower investment (thanks to pathetic resale) but a higher running cost (say Rs. 10/KM) than a higher investment (for the diesel) plus higher maintenance cost.

Last edited by AirWind : 3rd June 2010 at 14:32.
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

I know you've said your heart is set on a Skoda, but why don't you indicate some sort of a budget so we can also give you more options which can be more reliable in the long term / equally loaded in equipment list ? A five-year old Skoda is just asking for trouble, in my opinion.

EDIT : Oh you mean Octavia L&K? I thought you were looking at a Laura. Now that changes my perspective a bit. Octy's are known to be more reliable than the Laura / Superb, so you might get a good example. But on the flip side, now there are a whole lot of other alternatives that you could consider buddy.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 3rd June 2010 at 14:42.
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Saurabh, are you talking about the Octavia L&K or the Laura l&K?
The Octavia is much more robust than the Laura and I havent heard of too many issues with it. The Laura on the other hand, though a fantastic vehicle, has had some complaints especially after 50 K kms. Think well and hard before you decide.
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:25   #5
BHPian

the car is octavia l&k. nicely maintained with all gadgets in working condition. what should be the right price for it.
Old 6th June 2010, 16:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
the car is octavia l&k. nicely maintained with all gadgets in working condition. what should be the right price for it.
IMO around 5.max 5.5 if the car is really too good!
Old 7th June 2010, 15:10   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Laura is a big No-No in the used market. On the other hand, the Octavia is far more durable. Simpler construction and will serve you well for a long time to come. The engine is quick as well as fuel efficienct, while the ride & handling are still amongst the segment best. Poor utilisation of cabin space is probably the single largest disadvantage of the Octy. Some parts are expensive, thus you'd do well in sourcing them yourself (from after-market spare part shops or online).

You must get a pre-purchase-inspection on the car. The Octavia diesel ages so well that its not uncommon for 100,000 km examples to be convincingly clocked back to 50,000. Good luck with the deal!
Old 7th June 2010, 17:18   #8
BHPian

Octy L&K is a great car. If you know of a reliable service setup and a good after-market auto spare shop then there is no problem in buying a Skoda. 40k-50k is nothing for an Octy. They are proven long-haulers. However do buy something with an established service history. Like already mentioned an Octy's odo can be set back by 50k and nobody wouldn even notice that anything is amiss. Be extra cautious if picking up from a dealer.

Reg. the price itself - I own one (a 2005 model incidentally) and came close to selling it last year. I was quoted a price of 6l+ by a number of dealers (including Mahindra first choice). This in Delhi/NCR. I think the price for a prospective buyer would have been around 6.5l if the dealers were willing to pay me 6l+. Another thing to note is that I did not have service history - I get my car serviced outside at a trusted garage. Skoda A.** tried to take me for a ride in one of their servicings and I did not go to them after that. However my car is exceptionally well-mantained.

BTW I did not sell it - just like it too much to let it go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks