Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2010, 22:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Advice needed on Buying new car and selling the old car

Hi Bhpians,

I am looking out for a reliable and performance oriented sedan within budget of 10L.

We are still contemplating if we should trade the i10 (just 9 months old) or the Swift (Stage 1, but 3.5 years old)

I want you advice for both selling the old car and buying the new car

Dad wants to sell the swift, because he usually wont like keeping the car for more than 3-4 years.
I don't want to forgo the swift, as its Stage 1 ready and i am very very sadly accepting to let go of my i(CE)10. What is the resale value of i10 as of today (my car is 6.5K km done)
I like good music as well as great performance, and i am in dilemma because of this. Please help me arrive at a decision

As far as the new car is concerned, the criterias are,
  • Its should be Petrol sedan
  • Decent A.S.S
  • Very enterprising to drive
  • Safety features - prefer Airbag + ABS, but atleast ABS should be there
  • Decent rear seat comfort and space
  • Multimedia Expandability (i am an Audio freak!!!)

My Initial impressions shortlist were the following cars

Rank 1: ANHC
Rank 2: Cedia sports
Rank 3: Fiesta S
Rank 4: SX4
Rank 5: Altis 1.8J

Budget maxim expandable to 11L (but kinda stretch)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Mi10 : 5th June 2010 at 22:43.
Old 6th June 2010, 13:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you want to sell one of the 2 cars then sell your Swift as it is already 3.5 years old. You'd get a good price since you are based in Chennai.

You'd get about 3 or so for the swift.

As far as the cars you have listed I'd go for the ANHC and if the budget allows then the Altis with eyes closed.

Do not sell the i10 as it is only 6.5k done. It is almost brand new and you'd take a bigger hit in resale. Not worth it. Also its a damn good hatch and you already have so much of equipment in it.
Old 6th June 2010, 14:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
If you want to sell one of the 2 cars then sell your Swift as it is already 3.5 years old. You'd get a good price since you are based in Chennai.

You'd get about 3 or so for the swift.

As far as the cars you have listed I'd go for the ANHC and if the budget allows then the Altis with eyes closed.

Do not sell the i10 as it is only 6.5k done. It is almost brand new and you'd take a bigger hit in resale. Not worth it. Also its a damn good hatch and you already have so much of equipment in it.
Just visited the Honda, Zuki, Mitshi and Ford Showrooms.

The ANHC is no doubt a brilliantly engineering car. The Corolla however wont fit in my budget i think.

I am pretty much confused now. Will be test driving the mentioned cars from tomorrow.

Guys any info on the Octavia 1.8 Tpi ?
I am well aware of the A.S.S issues, but the turbo petrol is just making my mouth water.
Any idea how good it is a car (apart from performance). How about mileage and rear seat comfort ?

Last edited by Mi10 : 6th June 2010 at 14:04.
Old 6th June 2010, 20:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

My first question will be, do you really have a necessity for a sedan? Well, considering from the finance/economical point of view, selling both the cars (hope both of them were bought new) is not advisable as you loose money. Anyway, those are from financial point of view. Again from this perspective, if you aren't going in for loan & don't mind losing money, then you can consider selling off i10 as you fund more money for the sedan rather than Swift. Hope you got the point.
Old 7th June 2010, 13:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have to second aargee here. Do you really need a sedan when you have two competent hatches. Are you planning a lot of highway drives where high speed stability and boot space is needed?

The Fiesta 1.6S is not a car you buy when back seat comfort is a priority. It's a purely driver oriented car. With a 11 lac budget, the Cedia should be on top of your list if you plan to hang on to the car for a while. It has everything that you need including good back seat comfort.
Old 7th June 2010, 14:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
My first question will be, do you really have a necessity for a sedan? Well, considering from the finance/economical point of view, selling both the cars (hope both of them were bought new) is not advisable as you loose money. Anyway, those are from financial point of view. Again from this perspective, if you aren't going in for loan & don't mind losing money, then you can consider selling off i10 as you fund more money for the sedan rather than Swift. Hope you got the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I have to second aargee here. Do you really need a sedan when you have two competent hatches. Are you planning a lot of highway drives where high speed stability and boot space is needed?

The Fiesta 1.6S is not a car you buy when back seat comfort is a priority. It's a purely driver oriented car. With a 11 lac budget, the Cedia should be on top of your list if you plan to hang on to the car for a while. It has everything that you need including good back seat comfort.
Yes Aargee and Gilead, What you both say is true.
We are in need for a Sedan as my dad is planning quite a lot of Highway trips to Trichy. Earlier we used to make 1 or 2 trips a year in Swift, but rear seat was so cramped and anybody who sat in rear will begin cribging about legspace, shoulder space etc.. And Whenever we come back from my Native place we used have a lot of luggage and how we miss the sedan!!. Now Dad anyway would buy a car (for business purpose - read depreciation benefits). Initially we were planning one more Hatch, but we thought it would be better if we can go in for a Sedan than getting the third hatch!!

Old car selling update:
Swift is a 3.5 year old car with about 24K on Odo, but i love its handling and character. Already spent some $$$ on stage one mods.
On the Other hand i10 thought a very very quick car is a bad handler and to add to that the rear seat is too bumpy for long drives. The ICE $$$ spent here can always be moved on to the new car. But the car's not even an year old!!
Dad wants to sell i10, but Wife wants to sell Swift!! Me caught in between

New car buying update:
Test drove the Cedia today. To be honest didnt seem like a 2L engine pumping 115 BHP in low revvs. However, cross the 3K RPM and it races ahead in full vigour. But how often can we cross the 3K RPM in City??? Handling semed good (didnt have a chance to check this in detail). Rear Suspension is soft hence ride in back seems good in low speed. Any idea on the mileage ?
Checked out the ANHC in showrooms, i think my dad fell for it. I am yet to test drive this, so not passing any comments for now
Same with Fiesta, Just checked in Showroom. I am more interested in 1.6 S whereas my dad is more interested in 1.6 Sxi. Any idea on Mileage of 1.6 ?
Any ideas on the Octavia 1.8 Tpi ?

Last edited by Mi10 : 7th June 2010 at 14:47.
Old 7th June 2010, 14:58   #7
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1924807

Check on this thread , for 10L and below sedans and the near future launches , my suggestions would be
1. ANHC - toogood
2. Ford Fiesta - Occasional 2times a week trip back home from my office (company car) not that great when compared to ANHC
if you can shell out a little more checkout the civic or corolla .
Old 7th June 2010, 15:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi_seln View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1924807

Check on this thread , for 10L and below sedans and the near future launches , my suggestions would be
1. ANHC - toogood
2. Ford Fiesta - Occasional 2times a week trip back home from my office (company car) not that great when compared to ANHC
if you can shell out a little more checkout the civic or corolla .
Thanks for the Link Prithivi.

I think there is a whole lot of new cars awaiting thier dawn !!!
This is making me think. Well, i can afford to wait on the purchase till September'10.

Toyota Etios 1.4 and VW Vento 1.6 is what i am waiting before i decide.
Any news on upgraded Cedia ? / New versions from Mitshubishi ?
Old 7th June 2010, 15:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Dad wants to sell i10, but Wife wants to sell Swift!! Me caught in between
Sell the i10. You can keep modding the Swift in the future.

Quote:
Test drove the Cedia today. To be honest didnt seem like a 2L engine pumping 115 BHP in low revvs. However, cross the 3K RPM and it races ahead in full vigour. But how often can we cross the 3K RPM in City???
The Fiesta has much better low end pull than both the Cedia and ANHC. Cedia city mileage should be 9. Check with RajaTaurus.

Quote:
Same with Fiesta, Just checked in Showroom. I am more interested in 1.6 S whereas my dad is more interested in 1.6 Sxi. Any idea on Mileage of 1.6 ?
9-10 in the city. 14-15 on the highway.
Quote:
Any ideas on the Octavia 1.8 Tpi ?
Forget about this car. It's time has passed.

Quote:
Toyota Etios 1.4 and VW Vento 1.6 is what i am waiting before i decide.
Etios looks like a Logan in the pics. And will probably be boring to drive as well going by Toyota's character. The Vento might be worth the wait.

Quote:
Any news on upgraded Cedia ? / New versions from Mitshubishi ?
Not happening any time soon. HM is focused more on the Evo launch at the moment.

Last edited by Gilead : 7th June 2010 at 15:18.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:34   #10
BHPian

If you are doing a lot of highway trips then a diesel makes sense, if yes, then look at the Optra Magnum 2.0 LT, it would give you wicked power yet still make you smile at the gas station. Since you are buying on company why care about depreciation?
Old 7th June 2010, 15:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Many Thanks, Gilead.

I read somewere that the 1.6S has a stiffer suspension than the 1.6 Sxi. Is it true ? Also the OTR price for 1.6 S is 1.2K lesser than the 1.6 Sxi (Not sure why!!)

Dad not prefering Diesel. The reason is although there will be lot of highway runs, total KMs per Month will be lesser than 1500 KM. However, we did visit the Chevy Showroom. Cruze was georgeous, but out of Budget. Optra Magnum was not there in Display - Need to see before deciding.

Last edited by Mi10 : 7th June 2010 at 15:56.
Old 7th June 2010, 16:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
If you are doing a lot of highway trips then a diesel makes sense, if yes, then look at the Optra Magnum 2.0 LT, it would give you wicked power yet still make you smile at the gas station. Since you are buying on company why care about depreciation?
That's a good one but I am not sure if it is available for 11 OTR. It should be more.

Quote:
Many Thanks, Gilead.

I read somewere that the 1.6S has a stiffer suspension than the 1.6 Sxi. Is it true ? Also the OTR price for 1.6 S is 1.2K lesser than the 1.6 Sxi (Not sure why!!)
Price of SXi and S should be identical. At least it was when I bought mine. Might be some printing mistake. These are the differences between the S and the other variants.

- Stiffer rear suspension (better handling)
- Different exhaust set up. Chrome end can (awesome growl after 3K RPM)
- Different ECU map. (better mid range power delivery)
- 195/55/R15 tires and wheels
- Full bodykit with sports spoiler
- Black, gray and silver interiors. Lots of soft touch materials.

This car doesn't hold the lap record at Chennai for nothing. It does have some negatives like hard ride for back seat passengers on bad roads and the interiors are not as spacious as other cars in this segment. It does have a nice big boot though.
Old 7th June 2010, 19:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

And we would love to see another 1.6S for the next track day!
Old 7th June 2010, 20:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
And we would love to see another 1.6S for the next track day!
Arun, dont tempt me man! S is simply a drool material, every time i see a Aquaris Blue, my jaws drop!!. Already the 60K off on Fiesta S is playing piano in my mind, I am really trying my best to keep off the S, but honestly i am not able to do this so far. (and i am no Ford fanboy either !!)
Old 7th June 2010, 20:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arun, dont tempt me man! S is simply a drool material, every time i see a Aquaris Blue, my jaws drop!!. Already the 60K off on Fiesta S is playing piano in my mind, I am really trying my best to keep off the S, but honestly i am not able to do this so far. (and i am no Ford fanboy either !!)
Aquarius is not available any more so you have one reason for not getting an S. But I saw one in Paprika Red the other day and it looked equally hot. BTW have you even TD-ed it yet or going by its looks alone?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks