Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2015, 22:55   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help me decide: Automatic Car under 20 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Another option I was thinking about is Vento TSI. The money saved on a Diesel AT, may work out lesser than the price difference.
With the kind of running you are talking about, a petrol AT may hit the pocket hard. If going for a Vento, may as well go for the Vento Diesel DSG. Only concern will be the iffy after sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post

Of course, the Fortuner automatic is the perfect car for him (and an easy sell too, I might imagine) but it is well over his budget. Maybe it's worth stretching for because it will give complete peace of mind and he's clearly already a fan of Brand Toyota.
+1 to this. A good option to look at considering he will always be on the move and reliability is a big factor. Problem is, I don't think the ride of the fortuner is very good and considering the health problems, the harsh ride may aggravate it more (No personal experience, comment based on just reading about it), it will also mean stretching budget ( I assume it will be 25/26 Lakh On-Road).

EDIT: If I am not mistaken, the Cruze also comes in diesel AT. May be available at good discounts

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 4th May 2015 at 22:59.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 23:44   #47
Team-BHP Support

Replacing an Innova is a very difficult proposition. None of the sedans like Octy or Jetta will match the robustness and abuse taking nature of an Innova.

If you can stretch the current Innova, then wait for the all new 2016 Innova to come out. There are strong rumours of an Automatic Innova Diesel.

Else as iliketurtles mentioned, the XUV500 AT is expected this year and so is the Hyundai iX25 compact SUV.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 06:43   #48
Team-BHP Support

If he can wait a year, the next gen innova most likely IS coming with AT. That should do very nicely particularly given that it'll feel noticeably up market in its all new iteration.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 07:10   #49
D4D
BHPian

Quote:

Couple of options considered:
- VW Vento
- Skoda Rapid
- Skoda Octavia
- VW Jetta

Am I missing any automatics in this price range? Need help!
Options you're misssing/not conisdered:
1. Hyundai Elantra AT
2. Chevy Cruze AT (Has low GC though)

I would pick Any of the above over the german cars as they have better reliability(compared to the DSG) and will be easier on the pocket w.r.t ASS.

Doubt any of the sedans can take handle roads like the Innova does.

I think waiting a year(if possible) is a better option as:

1. There are rumours of an XUV 500 AT launching with the facelift
2. Seeing the trend of customers preferring ATs, it's probable that the next gen Innova should have one
3. I suspect that the hyundai ix-25 may get an AT, even if it's not at launch.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 10:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Over and above the usual suspects, I'd say wait for the XUV 500 automatic that is slated to arrive later this year.

1,50,000 in 3 years is a lot of running. The XUV isn't totally niggle free just as the Jetta/Octavia have a few (very few) question marks about their long-term reliability, but your cousin's requirements spell out an SUV perfectly. Except for the fact the XUV won't handle as flat as the German sedans, it ticks off every other box.

Of course, the Fortuner automatic is the perfect car for him (and an easy sell too, I might imagine) but it is well over his budget. Maybe it's worth stretching for because it will give complete peace of mind and he's clearly already a fan of Brand Toyota.
Hope the next gen XUV is a lot better in terms of reliability. Service concerns apart, I believe it may be better than Innova in terms of ride and handling and features.

New Fortuner AT is well out of his budget. There is a (barely) used one available here in Thrissur for a decent price. But he is not comfortable with the Fortuner's ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
With the kind of running you are talking about, a petrol AT may hit the pocket hard. If going for a Vento, may as well go for the Vento Diesel DSG. Only concern will be the iffy after sales.

+1 to this. A good option to look at considering he will always be on the move and reliability is a big factor. Problem is, I don't think the ride of the fortuner is very good and considering the health problems, the harsh ride may aggravate it more (No personal experience, comment based on just reading about it), it will also mean stretching budget ( I assume it will be 25/26 Lakh On-Road).

EDIT: If I am not mistaken, the Cruze also comes in diesel AT. May be available at good discounts
Cruze is worth a look. I have asked him to take test drive of the same. He has traveled in it and felt the ride good - of course in comparison with Innova. GC could be an issue though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Replacing an Innova is a very difficult proposition. None of the sedans like Octy or Jetta will match the robustness and abuse taking nature of an Innova.

If you can stretch the current Innova, then wait for the all new 2016 Innova to come out. There are strong rumours of an Automatic Innova Diesel.

Else as iliketurtles mentioned, the XUV500 AT is expected this year and so is the Hyundai iX25 compact SUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
If he can wait a year, the next gen innova most likely IS coming with AT. That should do very nicely particularly given that it'll feel noticeably up market in its all new iteration.
Exactly! Toyota and Innova has spoiled him too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Options you're misssing/not conisdered:
1. Hyundai Elantra AT
2. Chevy Cruze AT (Has low GC though)

I would pick Any of the above over the german cars as they have better reliability(compared to the DSG) and will be easier on the pocket w.r.t ASS.

Doubt any of the sedans can take handle roads like the Innova does.

I think waiting a year(if possible) is a better option as:

1. There are rumours of an XUV 500 AT launching with the facelift
2. Seeing the trend of customers preferring ATs, it's probable that the next gen Innova should have one
3. I suspect that the hyundai ix-25 may get an AT, even if it's not at launch.
If his health issue does not bother him too much for the next couple of months, he plans to wait for the new Innova AT. I have warned him that it may cost close to 25 lakhs though. The current top end Innova costs close to 20. So with an AT, there are high chances of the new one costing 25. Right?
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 17:00   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If his health issue does not bother him too much for the next couple of months, he plans to wait for the new Innova AT. I have warned him that it may cost close to 25 lakhs though. The current top end Innova costs close to 20. So with an AT, there are high chances of the new one costing 25. Right?
I have no reliable basis for this but my gut feel is this:

- The all new Innova in top of the line & A/T combo guise could cost as much as 23 to 25 lakh on road (existing Z version is ~ 18 lakh on road in Bbay), on the basis that in their eyes this car is bigger and a bit more premium.

- In order to continue milking as much volumes as possible, Toyota may sell a single more basic version of the existing Innova to cater to the taxi segment closer to the existing low to mid variant price range. Something like what the Swift Dzire does with the Dezire Tour edition.

I think the new innova should be a great product and it is in some sense quite unique too in its lack of bulk (aka Fortuner, Endeavour, Pajero etc) and yet the space it offers unlike all other smaller offerings (Mobilio, Ertiga etc). Worth the wait IMHO. With an A/T option and more refined interiors, the package will be complete!!

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th May 2015 at 17:05.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 01:40   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

I recollect a conversation i had with my cousin who is working with BMW.
Quote from his conversation with one of the first buyers of the newly launched i8 (4+ Crore on road) was that the i8 was more for special appearance in high off social gatherings and page 3 events and if it was for any regular need, he still has his trusty 3 yr old Innova which he found to be the most comfortable.

I guess that in itself is an evident note that Innova is a vehicle hard to replace. Unless toyota comes up with a new Innova up grade, preferably with an automatic transmission, which is already present for the fortuner.
Old 5th March 2017, 18:55   #53
BHPian

I learnt driving when I turned 26 and bought my first car (a i20 Asta diesel) around that time. I'm still driving it. I love premium hatchbacks (or crossovers as some of them are called these days). During that time the options were between the Jazz, Polo and the i20.

I was a huge lover of the first generation Jazz. Despite its infamous MPV looks, the kind of space and premium interiors wowed me. Alas, when I was deciding to buy a car, Jazz was soon going to be discontinued. Not wanting to be stuck with a obsolete car, I decided to take a look at the "Korean" Hyundai i20. With a closed mind, I went to look at the car and when I sat in the drivers seat, th premium interiors, the blue dials, the space on offer bowled me over. Without taking a test drive (I had just started driving and did not relate to any of the petrol head terms. Interestingly, the day I booked the i20 Asta diesel and came back home, there was news that diesel pricing has been deregulated. Anyways, I stuck to my booking as I really wanted that powerful 1.4 crdi engine and riding that wave of torque. Polo was ruled out as it felt smaller and driving position felt a bit claustrophobic (I am 6'3). Duster was out of the budget and EcoSport was yet to be launched.

4+ years and 48k km later, I am actually in search of a new car. I thought I'll keep the car for 3 years and then upgrade to a better car. Plans changed as I got married and other priorities took over. I did take test drives in between but always felt at home in the i20 and felt that i20 is all the car I ever needed. I still do.

But the lure of status for a bigger and better car has taken over and to throw in the company car lease related benefits. I'm in the market for a worthy upgrade from the i20. Now, it is important to note that I do not need a car albeit want one. And, wants have no color or shape. We stay within 3 km of our offices and use the cab aggregator services on a daily basis, what with the parking troubles. Wife also has a Chevy Beat, which has been parked at her folks place in hope of some running around.

As you can see, we don't really need a car rather lust for one.

Given this and after loads of reading reviews of majority of the cars within the budget bracket I have come to the conclusion that I cannot conclude on a new car. Hence, this call out for help and advice.

Listing my must have and good to have items which I have gathered after a lot of introspection. Idea is simple, a worthy upgrade to i20, which I believe is a terrific car.

Must have features (which i20 doesn't)

- Cruise control
- Lumbar support
- Balanced suspension at lower and higher speeds
- Good ground clearance
- Responsive steering and driving dynamics

The car should continue to carry over the good attributes of i20 I.e., engine, quality of materials, class leading equipment and ease of parking all of which adds to the whole 'driving experience'.

Good to have

- Ventilated seats
- sun glass holder
- Chuck ability factor
- Sun roof

Other points:

- Looks and engine are important to me as well as the feel good factor

- Neutral between petrol and diesel (whichever offers better performance)

- Usage would be city and few weekend trips (but I'm no adventure seeker)

Budget is anywhere till 20-22 lakhs. Resale value and fuel efficiency is not the decision makers.

Over to you

Last edited by wordsworth : 5th March 2017 at 18:56. Reason: Grammar corrections
Old 5th March 2017, 19:00   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth View Post

Listing my must have and good to have items which I have gathered after a lot of introspection. Idea is simple, a worthy upgrade to i20, which I believe is a terrific car.

I was writing this reply before the thread was deleted, so I'll just paste this here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem
Few or Most of your shortlisted cars are not south of 20L [Elantra, Tucsan, Hexa, XUV500 ] OR not going to be south of 20L [Civic]. May be, you achieve to get if you are settling for the basic variant.
I have no idea about Kaptur's segment. Is that the compact SUV from Skoda? If so, forget it to be south of 20L.

Prem.
No, thats from Renault. Will suppossedly sit above the Duster, AFAIK.

@ Thread starter

You seem to have mentioned almost everything except Driving dynamics and build quality. (Well, TBH, since you were/are happy with the i20, I dont really think you care too much about the former. No offence to owners, but its not the most dynamically accomlished car.)

My advice to you would be to get either an Elantra or a Tucson. You seem to be pretty happy with Hyundai, why change?

The XUV or the HEXA shouldnt even be on your shortlist unless you need 7 seats.
HyperRetard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 19:21   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post

You seem to have mentioned almost everything except Driving dynamics and build quality. (Well, TBH, since you were/are happy with the i20, I dont really think you care too much about the former. No offence to owners, but its not the most dynamically accomlished car.
Please read the last point on my must-have - it clearly says driving dynamics. As for as build quality goes, i20 has the right balance and if not a tank it's certainly not tinny. No offence, but Hyundai builds the most balanced cars of all and is a market benchmark in well rounded products.
wordsworth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 19:39   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth View Post
Please read the last point on my must-have - it clearly says driving dynamics. As for as build quality goes, i20 has the right balance and if not a tank it's certainly not tinny. No offence, but Hyundai builds the most balanced cars of all and is a market benchmark in well rounded products.

It wasnt in that thread which got deleted.
Anyways if you think that the i20 has good driving dynamics, well, who am I even talking to. (Just to clarify, this gentleman thinks that the Hyundai i20 (not the elite i20, the one before that), has good driving dynamics. Just go through this review http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html and you'll see how much @S2!!! and co have slammed the elite's predecessor.)
As for the build quality, yeah, its kind of allright. Not exceptional, though.

No. Hyundai builds the most feature-packed, city-oriented non-petrolhead-ish cars.
HyperRetard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 20:03   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
It wasnt in that thread which got deleted.
Anyways if you think that the i20 has good driving dynamics, well, who am I even talking to. (Just to clarify, this gentleman thinks that the Hyundai i20 (not the elite i20, the one before that), has good driving dynamics. Just go through this review http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html and you'll see how much @S2!!! and co have slammed the elite's predecessor.)
As for the build quality, yeah, its kind of allright. Not exceptional, though.

No. Hyundai builds the most feature-packed, city-oriented non-petrolhead-ish cars.
The bit about driving dynamics was there even in the deleted thread but no point brow beating on that. But, even in this post it is clearly mentioned that driving dynamics is a must have as the i20 does not have it. Now, you cannot argue with that.

My point in my latest post was only on the build quality and not the 'driving dynamics' !!

Please read every thread on premium hatchbacks and you will see that the GTO has heaped praises on the i20 (elite or not) as the quintessential benchmark in this segment.
wordsworth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks