Team-BHP - Buying a Pune-registered car in Mumbai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Buying a Pune-registered car in Mumbai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/87314-buying-pune-registered-car-mumbai.html)

Hi folks!

I'll be upgrading to a new car this January. Currently, waiting for Linea launch & shall be posting again when the choices get narrowed down.

For the time being, the question is about place of registration.I have following options:

1. Punjab : My home town

2. Noida : Currently living here in own house

3. Delhi : We stayed in Delhi for about 15 years

4. Gurgaon : My place of work

Documentation etc. can be managed for all locations. My current car bears Delhi registration no.
With Punjab & Gurgaon regn. some money can be saved. For me, Noida is least preferred.

BTW, I frequently travel to Punjab & Himachal.

So, pl. share your views!

I sale in the same boat, and have gone in for Punjab registration.
I suggest you do the same.
Its better to have registeration at a place where you actually live.
for me its noida or Pb. So in your case it will be the same.

This is a question targeted at Puneites who have bought a new car from a Mumbai dealership. I assume there are several, since all the luxury brands may not have dealerships in Pune.

Anyway, for reasons of my own I want to take possession of my next car in Mumbai and then drive it to Pune. Checked with dealer if this is possible and he says yes, except that it will cost 9K more (than the Thane price) since they have to take it up and down to Pune for registration. I let the topic drop since my purchase is still some time away. But thought it over and this is what I think:
1. I don't want to take possession of a car that has already been "up-down" to Pune- that would be at least 300 km on the odo :eek:
2. I don't want to pay 9K more, period!

Thinking a little more, I realised I have absolutely no idea how the supply chain works. For example, this particular manufacturer's plant is located in Pune. So why the "up-down" in the first place? Can't they register it first and then get it down to the showroom in Mumbai? Or can't I take possession on a TC plate and then get it registered in Pune?

And yes- there IS a dealer for this manufacturer in Pune as well. But Mumbai is comvenient for me since the dealership there is right outside my place and I spend a lot of weekends there anyway! And yeah I'm a lazy *** stupid:

Veterans please advise!

Quote:

Can't they register it first and then get it down to the showroom in Mumbai? Or can't I take possession on a TC plate and then get it registered in Pune?
If I am correct, dealers have been instructed not to sell unregistered cars.
Octroi, taxes etc need to be paid since you are buying from the Mumbai based dealer and these are paid after th car is delivered to dealer who must these before registering car.
Quote:

And yes- there IS a dealer for this manufacturer in Pune as well. But Mumbai is comvenient for me since the dealership there is right outside my place and I spend a lot of weekends there anyway
Decide which tips your cash payout/ laziness balance

Check with a sub dealer. Tell them upfront you would do the registration yourself. 99% they would give you the car after Temporary registration & you can drive it to pune & get it registered there.
Easier option is to buy the car in pune & get it registered before driving down to mumbai.

^ ^ ^

He is so lazy that he dont even want to come down to Pune to book the car.

And you are expecting him to run from pillar to post a dozen times in Pune to register that car personally !

I have done this several times. Car gets picked up on TR plates from showroom depot at thane. Pay octroi at the naka on your way in or later. Registered in pune and it stays there. No up-down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDM007 (Post 2032279)
^ ^ ^

He is so lazy that he dont even want to come down to Pune to book the car.

And you are expecting him to run from pillar to post a dozen times in Pune to register that car personally !

Nope you got that wrong- I live in Pune.

I think self-deprecating humour is lost on some people. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 2032327)
I have done this several times. Car gets picked up on TR plates from showroom depot at thane. Pay octroi at the naka on your way in or later. Registered in pune and it stays there. No up-down.

Thanks Sahil- that's what I figured. Just want to make sure I'm informed enough in case the dealer tries to pull that on me again.

All things considered, it looks as if paying octroi, self-registering the car etc. is going to involve effort/money from my side. Would rather leave it to the dealer and pick up the vehicle from Pune and then drive to Mumbai as some of you have suggested.

Hi Noopster - what did you finally do ( realise the thread is over a year old).

Am in a similar situation now. I live in Mumbai and have a Pune address too. While booking the car in Mumbai, the dealer mentioned that the car ( Jazz) can be registered in Pune and delivered in Mumbai. The cost saving is aroung 25K (after taking in the extra 7K for handling charges). Only issue is that the car will be driven from Vasai to Pune for registration and back to Mumbai for delivery.So will basically get the car with 300 km on the odo..

Any advice would be helpful..

Quote:

Originally Posted by sraye (Post 2496383)
Hi Noopster - what did you finally do ( realise the thread is over a year old).

Am in a similar situation now. I live in Mumbai and have a Pune address too. While booking the car in Mumbai, the dealer mentioned that the car ( Jazz) can be registered in Pune and delivered in Mumbai. The cost saving is aroung 25K (after taking in the extra 7K for handling charges). Only issue is that the car will be driven from Vasai to Pune for registration and back to Mumbai for delivery.So will basically get the car with 300 km on the odo..

If I were you, I would approach a Pune based dealer and take the delivery in Pune.

Quote:

Only issue is that the car will be driven from Vasai to Pune for registration and back to Mumbai for delivery.So will basically get the car with 300 km on the odo..

During this 300 km drive, who is liable for any untoward incidences [God forbid] like accident, theft etc.? Will the insurance co issue a cover note before the car is registered? In case you do decide to follow the path mentioned in your post, please get the insurance coverage part clarified from someone [not the dealer!!] who is knowledgeable about it.

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:

Why would you want to do that? Why not get the car registered in Mumbai if you are planning to use it right away. if you are not planning to stay in Mumbai for long, then you might book & register the car in Pune and use it in Munbai for the time you are there. No point in getting 300 kms on odo with a lot of risks involved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDP (Post 2496572)
If I were you, I would approach a Pune based dealer and take the delivery in Pune.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2496707)
Why would you want to do that? Why not get the car registered in Mumbai if you are planning to use it right away. if you are not planning to stay in Mumbai for long, then you might book & register the car in Pune and use it in Munbai for the time you are there. No point in getting 300 kms on odo with a lot of risks involved.

I work in Mumbai, and go to Pune over weekends, as my parents live there. Booking in Pune, would firstly result in me losing my place in the queue ( delivery already being quoted as sept end, and for new bookings its 3 months). Also,if I book in Pune, a PDI can only be done on a weekend, car delivery when it happens would again have to be delayed for a weekend.
The second issue is the cost. All said and done 25K is not a small amount, and hence the fact I am even considering the option. if it was a matter of 5K-7K , would have booked in Mumbai directly.
So it boils down to 25K saving, an element of risk (even thoughthe dealer has assured me that the car is insured for the drive), and the fact someone else drives the car before me versus booking in Pune, and probably getting the car in Dec. Also, not being in Pune, severley limits my interaction with the dealer, ability to push him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 2496610)
During this 300 km drive, who is liable for any untoward incidences [God forbid] like accident, theft etc.? Will the insurance co issue a cover note before the car is registered? In case you do decide to follow the path mentioned in your post, please get the insurance coverage part clarified from someone [not the dealer!!] who is knowledgeable about it.

Cheers,
Vikram

Thanks for the input. I have shot off a mail to the dealer, asking for confirmation on insurance. I was verbally told over the phone, that the additional 7K handling charges are towards the driver cost and insurance for the trip. I have opted for the insurance provided by the dealer/Honda and had not looked too carefully into this. Will also ask around for a second opinion on Insurance.

@SDP, Vikram, Ghodlur : thanks for your inputs.

Noopster : sorry for hijacking your thread. Could not find a more suitable thread to post my query in.

LOL: no worries mate. I had unsubscribed from this thread and only realised it was bumed when I did a thread search!

As you may have guessed, I took the easy way out and booked in Pune, taking delivery right there. Had to wait 3 months and experience an indifferent pre-sales experience at VW Pune as a result but more peace of mind for me.

In your case, I suggest you go ahead and do as your dealer is suggesting. If he's getting it registered in MH12 and delivering it to you in Mumbai what's the issue? Make sure you confirm with him that the risk is HIS till you actually take delivery- he should be agreeable to this.

You save 25K plus you get to do PDI etc. at your convenience. Also, I have never been stopped in Mumbai for an MH12 registration- I don't think you should face any problems. But do watch out for cops near where you live (on weekdays)- they may see a pattern and decide to crack down!