Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2010, 21:31   #1
BHPian

Optra Magnum LT @ 10.48 lakhs OTR or some other car or wait longer

I had bought an i10 recently after much discussions here. It is serving me very well and am completing 1000 kms tomorrow. I am not really on the look out for a new car in a hurry, but a new diesel sedan needs to be bought in the next few months. I am in the look out for good deals on the cars in the market. Was eagerly waiting for the Vento, but am not too satisfied with the overall package.

I had seen a recent post here about Optra Magnum being given under massive discount in Mumbai or so. Cant find that post though. Anyway, I went into Deedi Motors Trivandrum for checking out if something similar is available in Kerala.

I had a very warm welcome to the showroom. Within minutes a sales consultant was with us. He had a price list with him. Our discussions started with the price list. To my surprise and utter delight, the Optra Magnum had a huge discount on it, almost 1.5 lakhs. This discount is valid from the 15th of Sep 2010 to 30th of Sep 2010. Prices of the Optra Magnum TCDi is as follows - LT - 10,48,243 OTR and LS - 9,48,534 OTR. Max was on the price list but we did not talk about it.

I am keen on the LT as safety is primary concern. Delivery time was told as max 15 days.

I have read number of reviews on tbhp about the Magnum. I had test driven the Magnum in 2006, I think, and was amazed at the performance of the car. To me this was the only car which could replace my Elantra CRDi, which I had to sell in a hurry, when I had to leave for Germany 2 years ago. I have no doubts about the performance of the car. Did not buy it as the LT was way beyond my budget until this current discount.
If not the Magnum, I would only buy a sedan towards early 2011, after seeing the new possible entrants in the market. Need valuable suggestion from tbhp so that I can decide in the next few days.

All this apart I still need the expert opinion of team bhp about the following question.
Is it worth buying the Optra Magnum now?
Is it too old a car now?
Is it too under equipped now?
Are there any other comparable cars in the market now at similar price point? I know the Vento is similarly priced (few 1000 rupees more for the Highline Diesel, to be precise)
Is there any chances of the price going further down for the Magnum?
Would parts be a problem if at all Chevy decides to stop this car?
Would the Ford Fiesta Diesel top end be comparable, if performance and lack of bhp can be ignored, on a practical perspective? (wife thinks Fiesta ould be a more practical car)

Please contribute your valid suggestions on the decision to buy or not buy the Optra Magnum. I need to take a decision in the next week or so. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 18th September 2010 at 21:42.
Old 18th September 2010, 21:52   #2
BHPian

i really feel you should avoid spending 10.5lacs on a car that is well past its prime and that has a good chance of being shelved in the near future.
you would loose heavily on the already poor chevy resale value.

i totally agree with you on the fact that it is a hoot to drive and that powerful surge from the diesel motor is addictive but still at this price point you have much more and frankly better option like the vento.

the fiesta though a class below the optra is very practical option and i think you can lap up a pretty good deal on it, making it an even more attractive option.

but if your heart is set on buying the optra looking for a near new, low mileage car with intact service history could be well worth the money spent and you can make the poor chevy resale work for you.
though this does involve the tedious job of scouting a good car but if you can find a decent example it would be a great buy.
Old 18th September 2010, 22:44   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

@basilmabraham

The optra magnum is an excellent car. If you are the sort of person who keeps his cars for a decent amount of time say 7-8 years then I'd really suggest the optra magnum itself. It's comfortable, handles decent with a good set of tires and well the engine is simply a gem. Once past the first oil change, it's virtually turbo lag free. Plus with the discounts you are getting it's a pretty neat deal I'd say.
Old 19th September 2010, 01:10   #4
BHPian

If you want the car for self drive then this the car to go for in diesel this side of 12L. Cost of ownership is also very low.
Old 19th September 2010, 01:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

If I were personally in the market right now for a diesel sedan the Magnum is what I would buy. The fiesta and the Vento are a size smaller and the rear seat in both will be cramped compared to the Magnum. The engine size is different too this is a Detroit Diesel 2.0Ltr theirs are 1.6 or thereabouts. Plus you get all wheel independent suspension, automatic air conditioning, disc brakes all around, ABS +EBD, nice big boot + GM's 3 year maintenance & warranty programme + up front cash discounts.

BTW there is another thread with the same query that was started a few weeks ago. MODS could merge this with that and you can read views from more people. That however could confuse you more, so just buy the car and enjoy.
Old 19th September 2010, 09:50   #6
v&v
Senior - BHPian

basilmabraham,

I would suggest wait for 2011, as there Kizashi coming, Maruti could launch diesel option too. Ever thought why is GM giving such huge discount ? I feel either there is a face-lift coming or this model being discontinued. Just check the sales chart of GM Magnum is been selling under 150 car monthly.

My pick if you can stretch you budget pick Cruze its more complete car in every aspect.
Old 19th September 2010, 10:09   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

My views in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Is it worth buying the Optra Magnum now?New not recommended new,but definitely worth having a preowned one
Is it too old a car now?yes,it's been around three years+
Is it too under equipped now? not really,but it's been around long
Are there any other comparable cars in the market now at similar price point? I know the Vento is similarly priced (few 1000 rupees more for the Highline Diesel, to be precise) Vento Highline is a good option,but be prepared for fat maintenance bills(I go by my bro's experience on his Passat in UAE)
Is there any chances of the price going further down for the Magnum?
Would parts be a problem if at all Chevy decides to stop this car?No
Would the Ford Fiesta Diesel top end be comparable, if performance and lack of bhp can be ignored, on a practical perspective? (wife thinks Fiesta ould be a more practical car)
My recommendation to you would be the Altis diesel if you're a mile cruncher and are also "statement" conscious.

Else,you could check out the Manza Quadrajet Aura ABS-it is simply fantastic and excellent value for money(I rode in it yesterday and was simply blown away)
Old 20th September 2010, 10:13   #8
BHPian

Is the 1.5 lakh off on the ex-showroom price? If you choose the Magnum, pick the LT, don't compromise on safety.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

My single advice would be is to avoid the Optra at any cost. This car is well past its prime, has very very bad resale value and no bang for buck

A quick visit to any used car dealer will tell you what I am talkinh off. You will be surprised at the low price this car is bring offered for in the market. I have come across several 2006 - 07 cars LT, from 3-3.75 Lacs. It suffers very high depriciation.

Look for any thing else in this range, Your choice is quite wide at that budget
Old 20th September 2010, 13:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
My single advice would be is to avoid the Optra at any cost. This car is well past its prime, has very very bad resale value and no bang for buck
The OP is considering the Magnum TCDi with a 2.0 L 'Detroit Diesel' engine with 121 hp and 314 Nm of addictive torque and not the 104 hp, 148 Nm petrol.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:52   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As some others have posted, the Optra is long in the tooth. Honestly, it's way past its sell by date and feels terribly outdated today. If you really like the Optra, look up a pre-owned example. 1 - 2 year old cars (showroom condition) exchange hands for 5 lakhs in Mumbai.

On the other hand, your 11 lakh rupees could be much better spent on a new Vento diesel or a used Sonata Embera.
Old 21st September 2010, 12:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
@basilmabraham

The optra magnum is an excellent car. If you are the sort of person who keeps his cars for a decent amount of time say 7-8 years then I'd really suggest the optra magnum itself. It's comfortable, handles decent with a good set of tires and well the engine is simply a gem. Once past the first oil change, it's virtually turbo lag free. Plus with the discounts you are getting it's a pretty neat deal I'd say.
+1 to that

How about the Verna CRDI? Although, it is quite a plain looking car on the inside it may still continue to be in production for longer than the Optra (only if reselling is a serious consideration).

Just a personal view; the Optra Rorale looked muuch better than the Magnum.
Old 21st September 2010, 12:45   #13
BHPian

Optra is well past its prime and even though the TDCi engine was a gem during its time, I didn't really like the suspension dynamics of this car.

Just as GTO mentioned, a used Sonata Embera/Transform or Tucson or a new Vento would be my pick if I were you.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:19   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

My story was slightly similar.

I too own an i10 Kappa and when i was changing my primary car, Viva CRDi which was < 4 years old, had a budget of 10 Lakhs.

I was in market for a fast diesel saloon with a budget of 10 Lakhs and Verna was only one that falls in that category and due to owning several hyundais in past and not too happy with Verna's handling and its new shape.

Then I happen to check out the Optra and fell in love with it and would have bought it but, for the thought that it was a good product albeit an old one and with a bit of coaxing from wifey, a thought came if i can spend 10+ lakhs, why not stretch more and buy the Cruze LT.

If you can also afford to go the same way, trust me you will not regret it
Old 10th December 2010, 15:56   #15
BHPian

Re: Optra Magnum LT @ 10.48 lakhs OTR or some other car or wait longer

Thank you all for the awesome responses. I am more or less convinced to avoid the Optra, even though the OTR for LT now is reduced to 10.10 lakhs.

My heart still wants the Optra Magnum. But, thinking with the head and looking at some savings on the day to day running costs, the Fiesta TDCi SXi seems more VFM. The 40K INR odd discounts available until 13th Dec makes the deal even sweeter.

I know Fiesta is also a dated car, but the interiors look much better put together than the Optra. Also day to day running in the congested city roads would be much better on the Fiesta. What do you all think?

Other part of my head wants me to wait for a few more months and see the new launches before I take the plunge. The price hike and uncertainity of the launch dates of the new Verna, new Fiesta and SX4 Diesel is not helping at all. Also, I may end up being one of the guniea pigs for one of the new launches.

Another aspect is that the new cars would most probably cost more than the current offer rates of the Fiesta and may not as much be FTD as the Fiesta. Thoroughly confused. Please help.

PS: I have been wanting to own a new Diesel for some time now, I cant wait much longer, so a decision is to be taken asap. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks