Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 14:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

2004 Ford Ikon 1.3 (63k) at 1.25 lacs or another car?

One of my team member at office needs help in deciding which car to buy. He and I have had several discussions on Figo, WagonR etc. however today he told me that he's also considering second-hand cars and has recently been offered a 2004 Ford Ikon (63k on the odo) for 1.25 lacs . This car was driven (home-work-home only) by a lady whom he knows personally and he had in fact helped her sell it to another guy for 1.35 lacs (odo-59k) around 4 months back. Now the other guy needs to sell off the car due to some financial constraints he has. So now my friend here has the option of going for this car for 1.25 lacs.

I don't have much market sense when it comes to second-hand cars and specially when it moves up a segment from hatchbacks (sedans/SUVs) so need your opinions to help him make a wise choice.

Points to consider:
1. He needs the car for only about 2 years.
2. The car would be driven in city (New Delhi) only i.e. home-work-home strictly
3. No long trips would ever be planned on this car
4. He owns an M800 already
5. Doesn't have to be a sedan, hatchback would work equally well
6. Budget - Since he's already been offered Ikon at 1.25 lacs he would want to stick nearby only.
7. Sedate Driver, rarely drives above 90 kmph

When he mentioned all these things the only thing I recommended him was that he should stick to a hatchback only and since that boot is never going to be used why opt for a bigger car, a second-hand zen maybe.
Old 17th December 2010, 14:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2004 Ford Ikon 1.3 (63k) at 1.25 lacs or another car?

Not a 2004 model. If you want only an Ikon, then go for something newer.

Else, there are other makes to consider. Either way, get something newer.
Old 17th December 2010, 19:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not a 2004 model. If you want only an Ikon, then go for something newer.

Else, there are other makes to consider. Either way, get something newer.
Is it a problem only because its 6+ years old or anything else?
Old 17th December 2010, 19:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ikon is a good car and buying a used one is the most tempting deal you will ever get for an sedan BUT ownership cost will leave a deep hole in the pocket.

There is a reason why you get Ikon's so cheap in used car market.

I would say stay away from Ikon and consider either a used Hyundai or Maruti.

Last edited by HammerHead : 17th December 2010 at 19:13.
Old 17th December 2010, 19:18   #5
BHPian

Having owned and sold an ikon let me tell you that the Ikon is a Fantabulous car in terms of build Quality and high speed stability the only thing that let this magnificent product down is Most pathetic A.s.S experience of ford and the Spares cost a bomb. Now the spares are cheaper than before but the Service centre will always try and replace instead of repair.

Now Coming to the Issue at hand Firstly That car IMO Should sell for a Max of 1.15 No nore! A dealer would probably offer about 80 grand for it.
Considering the fact that your friend plans to sell in 2 years and knows the history of the car ask him to buy it for not more than 1.15. Even if he sells after 2 years he is bound to get atleast 80 odd plus he gets to enjoy a Sedan at a price where u would get a decent Alto which wont be as Fun to drive as the Josh Machine
Old 20th December 2010, 16:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to few other friends of mine and almost everybody advised against going for a 2004 Ikon. They are also of the opinion that the spares or any other repair would be way costly and one of them had a very bad experience with his Fiesta (Ford's after sales) so he strongly advised against going for this old Ikon. I too have recommened my friend against this particular car and have advised him to go for a Maruti (zen specially) or Hyundai (Santro) cars.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks