Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2006, 09:55   #1

Opnions needed

Hi all,
Nice to be here. I'll get straight to the point. I'm thinking of buying a new car. Lemme give you guys the list of what I've driven lately:

1. Accent CRDI
2. Honda City VX (new ver)
3. Scorpio DLX

4. Esteem DL
5. Indigo
6. Indica
7. Zen
8. Swift

At present I own a 2001 model Indica, which was later converted to a 5-speed gearbox and V2 suspension setup. I'm thinking of upgrading to a sedan. I've driven all the cars above (esp. 1-3), and in terms of sheer engine performance nothing even comes close to the Accent CRDI. So I'm kinda stuck here. What should I go in for? The Accent CRDI, or the Scorpio CRDe, which costs the same. To tell you the truth, I want the best bang for my buck! I've heard that Hyndai might be pulling the plug on the current Accent CRDI, and maybe tame it a little, any news on this? The Scorpio has road presence and it make sense to drive a vehicle like that, considering the state of most of our roads, but I haven't driven the CRDe ver so I dunno. The DLX was good, though bouncy, but great for a long exploratory drive!
I haven't driven the Optra, so any comparison with the Accent CRDI would be appreciated.

Last edited by ehud : 16th January 2006 at 09:59.
Old 16th January 2006, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Since you want to buy a Sedan, Accent is defintly the best choice. The engine is a bit noisy, but that said, the performance is quite good. You can also look to Fiesta TDCi if you dont mind a little lousy highway performance. Its the most modern diesel this side of 10 lakhs.

As for the new Accent, its not going to replace the old one, rather it will be sold alongside at a higher price tag, just like the Laura(Octavia II) is sold alongside Octavia I.

Forget about Esteem D. Its a terribely outdated car, and not sold in Metros now. Swift, Zen are not Sedans. Indigo is a bit lazy is lower gears, but overall a good Value for money Package.
Old 16th January 2006, 12:54   #3
BHPian

mite, u gotta decided u want petrol or Diesel first! If diesel, then forget the optra.

Between the Accent CRDi and Scorpio CRDe, well 2 years back i had to make the same choice, either the Accent CRDi or hte regular Scorpio, and i am very happy i took the Scorpio than the ACcent.
The Scorpio is very spacious, sporty and nice compared to the Accent. Mileage vise, the Accent CRDi will give u more than the Scorpio..a lil bit. but then, not everyone is happy driving around an SUV in the traffic, so u decide ifu have any problems with an SUV for daily use. if u dont have any problems with that, then just go for the Scorpio CRDe! its a great car, and spares are very cheap too, and no maintenance problems!

Regarding Accent, yes Hyundai is soon launching the new shape, around mid year, and will hopefully increase power
Old 17th January 2006, 06:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

as you already have had a tata car, try a mahindra. wait for a month until they fix the lotus suspension that is the only major gripe with the crde scorpio.

as you hav driven a car, a suv/muv would be a refreshing change

for a petrol I would suggest optra 1.6 instead. Its not really great to drive if you want to make sprints but on the highways its a breeze and also bigger,more luxurious and better looking than the NHC.
Old 17th January 2006, 08:34   #5
BHPian

well as far as i know accent gives a FE of 16Kmpl and Scorpio gives below 10.(i heard 7-8 max) from 2 of my friends who are using Scorpio a bit more then a year...
and stability is also one of the issue...
i too love Scorpio but if you go a lot on Highway Scorpio is not the car...
got feedback from them...
Old 17th January 2006, 09:15   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Diesel Fiesta is the Accent CRDi's direct competitor and beats it in a majority of attributes.

You seem to have an inclination toward ride quality and diesel engines. Pick up the Fiesta.

GTO
Old 18th January 2006, 05:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar
well as far as i know accent gives a FE of 16Kmpl and Scorpio gives below 10.(i heard 7-8 max) from 2 of my friends who are using Scorpio a bit more then a year...
and stability is also one of the issue...
i too love Scorpio but if you go a lot on Highway Scorpio is not the car...
got feedback from them...

accent giving 16kmpl can be possible for the crdi but I would assume it to be around 12-14.fiesta as GTO rightly put is really better than the accent crdi in all aspects except maybe FE.

for the scorpio the FE for CRDE is supposed to be 8-10 and with the new lotus suspension and modification mahindra has made sure that the skateboard handling of the scorpio is improved. Much has improved in the new scorpio CRDE with lotus suspension than what your friends have.

wait for a month for the new scorpio to be out in the market, test drive it and then decide

Most Viewed