Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2006, 00:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

American Top Gear

Due to the lack of popularity of Top Gear in the US, Discovery has decided to be involved in the production of a 'new' TOp Gear series. The format will be the same and will include features such as "star in a reasonably priced car" but all three presenters will be American. And instead of having an airport rinway and a hangar at their disposal, the american version will have access to a proper track.

Check it out: http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...ries/08/1.html

My initial reaction was a mixture of and :WTF: But after reading GTO's signature, i've decided to give this series a fair chance. Lets see what it'll be like but very honestly i dont have high expectations. NO ONE can match the british team of TG presenters.

What do you guys think of this?
Old 25th January 2006, 00:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Deeps your right, Nothing can beat JC, James May and Hammond, they are very good at it and have a good of sense of humour. Ofcourse we cant forget the Mitsu-STIGY.
Old 25th January 2006, 01:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely. Clarkson, May and Hammond are easily the best presenters of any auto show I've ever seen.
Old 25th January 2006, 02:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

top gear

i feel they should stick to telecasting the British Top Gear in Amrika.

Amrikan presenters are as useless as Indian auto-tv presenters.

they talk about and praise the " 'vette" and "viper" and " 'stang", and ofcourse Carroll Shelby. not that theres anything wrong with that. Shelby is well respected throughout the world and the cars mentioned are very exciting indeed.

what i mean to say is that their knowledge is limited to Amrikan automobiles. give them an old Pontiac GTO, or a Chevelle and they start salivating but are lost the minute you put them in an Alfa Romeo or even an Aston Martin for that matter.

Bentleys & RR's are glorified (degraded, actually with stupidly large alloy wheels, horrible sound systems, spinners, neons, you name it..) by run-of-the-mill musicians (called rappers and pop stars), and sports personalities who make billions because of the stupid billions who watch them perform their magic tricks to earn billions.

the presenters can't properly put down the pluses and defects of cars and test 1/4-mile and 0-60mph figures be it a minivan or a limousine (ala Motor Week, Car & Driver TV, etc.).

Hummer is the ultimate off-roader (and on-roader) for them (and fondly remembered is the 'old Jeep that served well in WWII but had to be replaced' why? no one can answer that).

if anyone from Top Gear is reading this - please leave Top Gear alone, do not Amrikanise it!!!

the Discovery Channel did good to broadcast the pervious season of Top Gear (though serverly edited and hurried through to fit the 1/2 hour slot reserved for it). don't understand why they have to ruin a perfectly decent program.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th January 2006 at 02:46. Reason: modifying content
Old 25th January 2006, 03:24   #5
BHPian

they will ruin top gear if there is no JC.. it will be like 100's of any other car shows that are there .. top gear will not be unique anymore ... too bad !!
atleast I know I wont watch it anymore..
Old 25th January 2006, 03:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
Absolutely. Clarkson, May and Hammond are easily the best presenters of any auto show I've ever seen.
agree with you man but didnt you see Namrata Barua's show on star TV couple years ago...that featured almost every new car in the segment with round ups and reviews of car making waves in the market...expert opinions and test driven final verdict on the vehicle..also had a special bike segment ..i was a regular viewer of that show..
Old 25th January 2006, 04:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

America does need a quality car show. There are plenty on tv but most are crap. I think they should just air the UK version here as most of the cars sold here and there are almost similar.

P.S - This maybe a dumb question but i wonder why they have kept the stig a mystery man. I have a hunch that stig hasnt been the same person over the years, by not showing his face they can change the test driver as and when they want so that he is not parmanent part of the show.
Old 25th January 2006, 04:42   #8
BHPian

yh right man! great show that TG was in the UK...yankees would have wanted a car to pay more attention to cup holders than cars actually..lack of popularity is a slight tiff between two nations esp not strong automobile relations ...lets c wat happens..
Old 25th January 2006, 08:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Topgear is simply not the same without JC. And now May and Hammond. Theirs is simply the best TV host combo in the world,IMHO (car shows).
@ambylimo : Wasnt the show called Top Drive or something? Was later turned into some holiday destination drive or something similar...
Old 25th January 2006, 10:32   #10
BHPian

stiggy rules. atleast they can;t replace the "STIG". anyways its for USA only. we'll still get to watch TG on BBC.
Old 25th January 2006, 14:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just what i expected...that BHPians would prefer the original no matter what!

aaah78, i totally agree with you on american presenters. whenever i come across the crap that americans call motorsports and listen to the commentary, i cant help wondering how far ahead european F1 commentary is in terms of quality.

Sahil, there's a hunch that the Stig is some British Touring Car driver.
Old 25th January 2006, 17:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

If the Stig changes you can come to know by looking at his height.

Quote:
agree with you man but didnt you see Namrata Barua's show on star TV couple years ago...that featured almost every new car in the segment with round ups and reviews of car making waves in the market...expert opinions and test driven final verdict on the vehicle..also had a special bike segment ..i was a regular viewer of that show..
Even i used to watch it wonder why they stopped it?? Now they host Top Drive gateways.
Old 27th January 2006, 13:55   #13
BHPian

true indeed..... the british are the best at this.... And top gear wouldn't be the same without the good old Clarkson.
Old 9th April 2007, 12:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Top Gear for AMERICA

The Sun Online - TV: Top Gear 3 set for USA show
Interesting post. Top gear will now also have an AMERICAN Cousin.

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks