Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2011, 01:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bag for office/weekend/biking

Hi All,

I was loyal Wildcraft bag customer for last 7 years but one i had for 5+ years had better build and quality than new wildcraft i recently purchased . new ones zip is already gone and i am using my good old bag. so planning to buy a new one now.

Any suggestion for reliable rugged and looking cool bag for weekday to office and weekend journey to home town? 1.5 to 2K range is okay for me.

also which brands team-bhpian bikers/office goers prefer in bags. any links pics of same please.

PS: mods, tried searching but dint find similar thread. kindly merge if similar thread already exists!
Old 5th June 2011, 01:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bag for office/weekend/biking

I've been using Swiss Gear Maxxum (Amazon.com: Maxxum Swiss Gear by Wenger Notebook Backpack Blue: Electronics) for quite long time,almost 5 years now and still as good as new. No problem with stitching/zipper etc. If I have to buy a new bag in the future then it would again be a Swiss Gear only. And surely quality is still the same as some other friends mine also bought Swiss Gear bags recently(1.5 years) and I don't see any difference. But not sure if you get it in India though.
Old 5th June 2011, 09:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

Eight years back I spent 5 hours to Internet research and buy a very heavy laptop, the IBM Thinkpad G40. The size and weight: 13" x 11.1" x 2" @ 8.9 lbs. I wanted a general purpose bag than a dedicated laptop bag, so I started looking for a backpack that can hold this super heavy laptop. It took me 30 hours of Internet research get the bag.

It was a $99 eBags brand bag from eBags - Largest Selection Of Handbags, Backpacks, Luggage & More - eBags.

It has traveled everywhere since then, including many offroad trips in my Jeep. After 8 years, a small tear has shown up on the fabric at the bottom. I must have kept it on a sharp edge in some trip. Now I am thinking of giving it a honourable retirement for all these years of service. What can replace it, that's a thought bothering me.

There are some bags in eBags website that have 25 years warranty, imagine that confidence.
Old 5th June 2011, 09:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

Is Timberland available in India? They have some great casual office bags (laptop backpacks), which is extremely durable and goodlooking.
Old 5th June 2011, 11:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

How about Targus and Kingston? I think they are available at select shops.
Old 5th June 2011, 12:07   #6
BHPian

I was using a RL Polo Sport bag for like 5 years. i used it as a school bag and even in college. It travelled quite a few miles (States,Goa,Singapore,Kerela,Rishikesh). Finally last year the poor thing gave up. :(
I bought a Jansport then. A basic one with a non padded laptop sleeve. Its not even been even one year and its started to show wear and tear. They dont make them like they used to anymore.
Targus and Swiss millitary bags are a little heavier and with all the padding, they cant really carry stuff for a weekend getaway.
Belkin has a ultra light laptop bag for around 3k. Black, sleek.
OT: Timberland has an outlet in Delhi.
Old 5th June 2011, 13:22   #7
BHPian

I'm using a Outbound backpack which i purchased 6 years before and still going good. It's now part of office life.
It costed me 150 Canadian dollar.
BTW mostly i use it while going on motorcycle and zym.

Last edited by akas_chauhan : 5th June 2011 at 13:23.
Old 5th June 2011, 13:53   #8
BHPian

Boll has good options. Few retailers in India for them though.
Targus is again what you can have a look at, Targus | Cases | Notebook | Backpacks

Swiss bags, another option.
Old 6th June 2011, 08:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bag for office/weekend/biking

Last weekend, i saw American Tourister laptop bags @ brand factory (near nimhans) for less than 1K. (They had 40% off on MRP and MRP was about 1.2K, IIRC) They seem to be sturdy, though I do not have experience with the laptop bags from American Tourister. May be you can check them out and see if it fits your needs.
Old 6th June 2011, 09:49   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How about Targus and Kingston? I think they are available at select shops.
I have a Targus knapsack that I have been using as my laptop bag and occasional overnighter for the past 3 years. It has amazing quality of material and zippers (all still original). I got it free with a Canon printer/scanner that I bought in Singapore, MRPP then was quoted as $80 (approx INR 2800). Worth every penny.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Last weekend, i saw American Tourister laptop bags @ brand factory (near nimhans) for less than 1K. (They had 40% off on MRP and MRP was about 1.2K, IIRC) They seem to be sturdy, though I do not have experience with the laptop bags from American Tourister. May be you can check them out and see if it fits your needs.
I am using American Tourister as my office laptop bag for 2 years now and I am very happy with the way the bag has held-up. Their zippers are of good quality despite the abuse it goes thorough in the hands of my office security who rip it open every day. It also has an international warranty.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I've been using Swiss Gear Maxxum
+ to Wenger. This is the best one from them. I got this for my friend in 2008, much better than the TARGUS I am using.
Amazon.com: MAXXUM from SwissGear by Wenger Computer Backpack Red: Electronics
Old 10th June 2011, 01:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

thanks people for all the inputs. Yeah i really liked this swiss brand. but need to be bought from US. its quite expensive to ship it :( costs almost 6K according to india times shopping. People coming from US will be always full no looks like i have to find a US project go there and buy
Old 10th June 2011, 01:46   #14
BHPian

If you are a biker and want something for daily+weekend trips, I would suggest you try out the Cramster Laplace. I have one for almost 3 + years. It has a nice Helmet holder (which you can also use to cary oversize stuff). Takes a lot of load. ( have carried my Dell Lat D620+Bike spares+other stuff+full face helmet). It is not very expensive, looks good and is highly water resistant.
Old 10th June 2011, 06:47   #15
BANNED

I used to use a lot of big name/imported brands like Eddie Bauer, Timberland, Jansport, Samsonite, etc. Had been a Samsonite loyalist for a couple of years now, and feel they offer very good, long lasting, albeit slightly expensive prodcuts.

Last year, when I got a new laptop, decided to get a new bag, and happened to try out a VIP backpack. Very reasonably priced, very very good finish, and has been extremely durable. Abused it to the same extent as my previous Samsonites, and I must say it has held up surprisingly well.

It might not have the bling factor, but do check out VIP, a great Indian choice offering excellent VFM products.

Cheers.

Ride Safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks