Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2006, 15:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

how to trace your stolen gsm cell phone

guys ,
just came to know that when u press "*#06#"..u get the serial number of your GSM cell phone ...if at all the cell gets stolen ...this serial number will help you locate the cell phone even if teh sim is changed ...
dunno how true is this...

anybody having any clue??????
and this applies to gsm cell phones of any make.
Old 31st January 2006, 15:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is useful only if all operators co-operate to combat cellphone theft. Unfortunately, this isnt happening in India today. Your only chance is if the thief uses the same network as you do - then it may be possible to track him down - IF and only if your network is willing to help you.

This is possible because eveyr call record contains the serial number of the handset used, IF AVAILBLE. With many of the earlier phones it was possible to change or even erase the serial number, so if the thief has sold it to a reseller that person may have overwritten or erased your serial number.

Last edited by Steeroid : 31st January 2006 at 15:53.
Old 31st January 2006, 15:52   #3
Team-BHP Support

The existing networks are so understaffed i dont think you are going to get their cooperation with this.
Old 31st January 2006, 16:40   #4
BHPian

This is in reality not of much use. Thousands of mobiles phone get stolen in Europe and they are then carried to Asia/Africa. Even if they don't work in Europe once their IMEI is blocked, they will work fine elsewhere. And more often than not, the hackers alter the phones' IMEI numbers (illegal, but who cares?)
Old 31st January 2006, 16:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

The IMEI number can always be changed and this is what 'professional' cellphone thieves do. The stolen mobiles which land on 'used mobiles' dealer for half their value is immediately assigned with a new IMEI number and is sold.Nothing can be done. :(
Old 31st January 2006, 16:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
This is in reality not of much use. Thousands of mobiles phone get stolen in Europe and they are then carried to Asia/Africa. Even if they don't work in Europe once their IMEI is blocked, they will work fine elsewhere. And more often than not, the hackers alter the phones' IMEI numbers (illegal, but who cares?)
IMEI tracing is useful, if done within a few hours of the phone being stolen.

Most of the phones that go to Asia/Africa from Europe are in reality not stolen, but reported stolen by distributors. The subsidised handsets from operators then get shipped out to other countries where their SIM locks are taken off and IMEI's erased or overwritten.

Mind you, the newer handsets have IMEIs that are more secure and hence cant be erased or overwritten as easily as the older ones have been. This is on account of pressure from the GSM operators on handset vendors to increase security.

Last edited by Steeroid : 31st January 2006 at 16:50.
Old 31st January 2006, 18:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

i got my o2 from alfa which is unofficial.i cant install any ROM upgrades on it due to the IMEI number which helped the company to identify grey market pieces and not provide any support to thse pieces
Old 31st January 2006, 18:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
i got my o2 from alfa which is unofficial.i cant install any ROM upgrades on it due to the IMEI number which helped the company to identify grey market pieces and not provide any support to thse pieces
Muhuhuhuaaaa!

Go to www.xda-developers.com - you dont need no manufacturer support to upgrade XDAs. This site has been providing better support, tools and solutions than any manufacturer. Upgrade, downgrade, change roms, swap roms do what you want with your pocket pc phone.

Enjoy!
Old 31st January 2006, 20:48   #9
BHPian

you can trace the cell phone through the IMI number provided the cops and the network providers co operate jointly.

however, the cops are indifferent and the network providers are not very helpful..for example if you have a prankster troubling you, the network provider will not help you unless you get an FIR which is a pain...

also, if you buy your phone in the grey market, the imi number is useless

best would be to insure your phone against theft, only then you can rest assured

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks