Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 11:57   #1
BHPian

Goa water unsafe for bathing and fishing

Panaji: Here's a note of caution for all those tourists who head to Goa annually for a bit of sun and a splash in the sea - marine scientists have said the waters off the state's coast contain alarmingly high levels of coliform bacteria caused by the release of untreated sewage.
Goa water unsafe for bathing and fishing - *Green News - Article - MSN India

So Goa and Beach lovers, watch out.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 12:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Goa water unsafe for bathing and fishing

Untreated sewage water, eww thats disgusting, even scary considering the number of people visiting Goa. More so for the kids I see having all the fun in the water
Old 1st July 2011, 12:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
Untreated sewage water, eww thats disgusting, even scary considering the number of people visiting Goa. More so for the kids I see having all the fun in the water
You think elsewhere in this country we release only treated water out into the sea and rivers?
Old 1st July 2011, 13:23   #4
BANNED

Which other beach in India was tested? I m pretty sure that barring a few very virgin beaches, most would have had the same levels of pollutants/bacteria etc.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:32   #5
BANNED

LOL!!!.. This isn't new.

Whats with NIO now??

I am from Goa and I know how much polluted they are. I don't know who does these stories on pollution levels but whoever it is, does not like Goa.

Coliform bacteria does not like seawater and does not survive a little distance out in the sea. If present it would be more at the places where sewage actually meets the sea. Now which beach in Goa have you seen sewage water directly passing it on.

Sewage from Panaji flows into the Mandovi river and not into the sea at either ends of this city. If they have taken samples they are surely not from the sea. Like they have mentioned.

If the samples are taken from close to the tourist areas, yes it can be concern because of the hotels, shacks and other commercial establishments.

Also not all coliform bacteria is harmful and the one from human feces is harmful but not dangerous, heck we are carrying them anyways. Its like saying if the feces sticks to you or any part of your body you are dead. Now tell me how many who take a daily dump do that. Sorry for going gross here but this news so totally biased.

How many here who have been to Goa and taken a dip in the sea have had symptoms to this bacteria?

But having said that, yes a stricter watch on sewage treatment needs to be enforced. Not in Goa but all over.
Spitfire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 15:40   #6
BHPian

Maybe they should test the fish shipped in from Mumbai!
Anything of everything in excess is harmful to your health, except water! Today, contaminants are part of all food categories & products!
Overall, most of the bacteria do not survive the high heat on which the fish is cooked (it's mainly fried).
e.g. Pork is considered a filthy meat, but not so if cooked properly. Do you know pork meat helps constipated people? It's good for passing stool, maybe because of it's high fat content. On the other hand chicken is considered a clean meat, but too much of chicken & you block, you know what, because of the high heat in chicken meat.
Old 1st July 2011, 16:59   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

If Goa beach waters are unsafe, Juhu beach in Mumbai should be lined up with dead bodies every day. It's positively filthy! Yet so many people continue to visit it and make contact with the water. You have to take such stories with a big pinch of (sea) salt!
Old 1st July 2011, 19:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Anything of everything in excess is harmful to your health, except water!
Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I am not surprised. "Foreign" tourists are really that finicky about their water etc. They get upset stomach just by knowing that salad was washed in tap water.
Old 1st July 2011, 21:43   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Maybe they should test the fish shipped in from Mumbai!
Fish is the highest source of mercury, toxins and dioxins in the human food chain. Especially the ones caught closer to the shore.

Always buy deep sea fish species that may not be exposed to human/Industrial effluents near shore.

--Ragul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks