Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2006, 16:49   #1
DRC
BHPian

Virus on Bluetooth mobiles

friends,
This happend to me yesterday night while driving back from home...
In the middle of the road, I recieved a message on my mobile, from some one called "Bandi", through Bluetooth. When I tried to open it it seemed to install something into my phone. Quickly I aborted the installation. Mostlikely it is a virus or a trojan(spell?).

What I am wondering is how come the message reach me if I had not paired a device? Still a mistery... But guys, do take care. Especially when you use your computer in association with your mobile and it could be dangerous for your valuable data.

Hmm... Tellya these days, even you can't mind your own business, still you are vulnerable. Blame it on technology.
Old 16th February 2006, 17:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
What I am wondering is how come the message reach me if I had not paired a device? Still a mistery...
You left your mobile in discoverable mode...easy meat. You should set up a list of trusted devices which would be the only ones that are allowed to 'discover' your device.

You can also get Spybot S&D for mobile devices (freeware) which helps you protect your device. There is also a host of antivirus and firewall software available for various mobile platforms.
Old 16th February 2006, 19:12   #3
BHPian

If you are using nokia series60 phones,there is a virus called caribe.An infected phone automatically switches on its BT and sends the install file to any nokia series60 BT enabled phone.
This virus is a Very big pain it finishes of all the battery very fast...
Best way to get rid of it IMO is by packing up all messages and contacts to sim or MMc and then entering *#7370#
The phone gets reseted to factory condition.
Old 17th February 2006, 05:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Make it a point to switch your bluetooth off when not needed.
Its happened to me several times in crowded public areas such as malls, I forget to switch my bluetooth off after gettin out of the car coz i used the bluetooth handsfree while driving and random ppl try and send files
Old 17th February 2006, 15:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Keep an eye on this link - they're adding support for Series 60 (your 6600) soon:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/symbian/index.html
Old 18th February 2006, 12:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

symantec and trend does have AV's for mobile. And some virus ( like roadwarrior) get itself installed via mms.
Old 18th February 2006, 12:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
symantec and trend does have AV's for mobile.
DONT talk about Symantec. The worst security solution in the whole wide world.

Resource hog with multiple processes running in the background, it has so many problems that you get frustrated and try to uninstall it and THEN find out that it wont uninstall properly!

Of all the PC security software I have used, Zone Alarm is the ONLY one that works quietly in the background, does not hog system resources, updates itself quietly and NEVER EVER gives a problem. I swear I will never go back to any of the McAfees, Nortons or Trends ever again.

BTW all that ranting is OFF TOPIC - I get really pissed off when I hear Symantec or Norton.
Old 18th February 2006, 22:10   #8
DRC
BHPian

Hmm interesting,
I never had this problem in My earlier Motorola, as it used to switch of BT itself to save battery. I thought that was a pain because i had to take pain of switching on every time.

But this one has a different set of pain
Old 19th February 2006, 00:54   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
BTW all that ranting is OFF TOPIC - I get really pissed off when I hear Symantec or Norton.
I was big fan of Peter Norton and all the Norton products, I learnt assembly language using his book. Once Symantec bought Norton Inc, it has been downhill all the way. I don't know why Peter Norton still allows Symantec to use his name. He was a brand in early 90s, now nobody really knows about him.

Regarding bluetooth, WiFi, etc. I don't know why these powerful technologies are developed without much security considerations. When WiFi first came, anybody could park in front of the office building and browse the office LAN. The security is added later like an afterthought.
Old 19th February 2006, 01:06   #10
BHPian

Turn off the bluetooth when not needed..... esp. when u go to public areas such as malls, sport centers, etc.
Old 19th February 2006, 02:14   #11

guys there is a good free site to d/l softwares including antivirus www.mobango.com
Old 19th February 2006, 15:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

There is a commwarrior virus in nokia series 60 devices, it is sending mms to the saved names in phonebook automatically,and if you dont have gprs activated then mms will be deferred in outbox.
if you have bluetooth off in commwarrior infected mobile still it is sending commwarrior to other bluetooth switched off device. near by phone receive a msg like so and so is sending you a file if you click yes then process will automatically stops you cant get any idea what happened but commwarrior
infected your mobile. here is removal tool of commwarrior.

http://rapidshare.de/files/4912766/f...rrior.sis.html

any series 60 devices also get cabire virus. to remove this virus either you have to reset factory setting or you have to use removal tool. i have the removal tool.
so here is the link..

http://rapidshare.de/files/1033663/F-Cabir.SIS.html

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

Most Viewed