Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2012, 09:27   #91
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

@Sgiitk, & Mazdda4life
Thanks.They are Reliance(2),SBI Magnum,Birla Sun Life,HDFC(2) and ICICI . Would it wiser to invest in PPF first,and then in all these SIP? I am a medical personnel and am no way knowledgeable in the money market. Thanks again
Old 22nd January 2012, 10:00   #92
BHPian

A website called "www.myiris.com" allows you to create your portfolio. Thereafter you get the CMV of the entire portfolio automatically by logging on to the site. There is no need to maintain a spreadsheet and update it with the NAVs of all the funds/shares, for which you have to find each NAV from the Internet.

This saves a lot of time. If anyone is interested in knowing how to set up your portfolio on myiris, I will be happy to explain.
Old 22nd January 2012, 20:12   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
@Sgiitk, & Mazdda4life
Thanks.They are Reliance(2),SBI Magnum,Birla Sun Life,HDFC(2) and ICICI . Would it wiser to invest in PPF first,and then in all these SIP? I am a medical personnel and am no way knowledgeable in the money market. Thanks again

you seem to have invested in equity based MFs. It is natural that NAV of such funds vary with the share market's fortunes. Right now, the markets are very down - and depending on the specific scheme you have opted for, your investments are bound to have lost value.

Speaking for myself, I am in a "buy" mode for equities. Whether to invest in the sepcific schemes you are investing in, is a different question altogether. You hae named only the fund manager - not specified the scheme.

I follow this link for daily NAVs:-

http://www.amfiindia.com/spages/NAV1.txt

That link is updated every day.
Old 23rd January 2012, 08:26   #94
BHPian

Quote:
@Sgiitk, & Mazdda4life
As explained by others the portfolio that you have is highly skewed towards equities ( nothing wrong per se ) .... but would urge you to look at balancing with a medium risk/assured return component in your portfolio to offset the high risk / high return of equity based instruments. End of the day, have a returns percentage (target % ) and manage your portfolio.
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:19   #95
BANNED

Quote:
@Sgiitk, & Mazdda4life
as for a debt goes conventional wisdom has it that first use up the first exhaust the PPF before moving elsewhere. 8.5% there adds up to 12+% on taxable debt instruments, so unless you vector in Indexation they may not.

You can expect Equity to yield 10+% Tax Free so the logic still holds.
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:08   #96
BHPian

Sectoral FMCG Equity funds

While I'm aware that the sectoral funds are the riskiest amongst the various equity flavors of mutual funds, whats the take on the FMCG sectoral funds? FMCG (along with pharma) is a defensive sector in investing, and I came across the ICICI FMCG fund somewhere and found very consistent returns over 1, 3, 5 years. Have a look:

The Mutual Funds Thread-fmcg.jpg

Is it okay to include the FMCG fund for a portfolio (comprising of balanced and MIP funds) for a 3 year time horizon?

I own stocks of ITC, for example, and it hardly falls much, even during the past year.
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:32   #97
BHPian

Re: Sectoral FMCG Equity funds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
While I'm aware that the sectoral funds are the riskiest amongst the various equity flavors of mutual funds, whats the take on the FMCG sectoral funds? FMCG (along with pharma) is a defensive sector in investing, and I came across the ICICI FMCG fund somewhere and found very consistent returns over 1, 3, 5 years. Is it okay to include the FMCG fund for a portfolio (comprising of balanced and MIP funds) for a 3 year time horizon?I own stocks of ITC, for example, and it hardly falls much, even during the past year.
IMHO you can include a small portion but in the next three to five years the defensives will not lead the rally. They are good when the market is not performing. Under such circumstances you should stick to large cap / mid cap diversified funds like HDFC equity.
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:55   #98
BHPian

Re: Sectoral FMCG Equity funds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
IMHO you can include a small portion but in the next three to five years the defensives will not lead the rally. They are good when the market is not performing. Under such circumstances you should stick to large cap / mid cap diversified funds like HDFC equity.
Thanks. I'm staying away from large-cap, multi-cap for this 3 year goal, for lesser risk - any downturn in the markets leads to total drop in these funds. So a bit of capital protection is my goal. Hence the MIPS, balanced funds in the portfolio.
Old 25th January 2012, 12:51   #99
BANNED

A bit of chest thumping may be in order. The CRR cut was predicted by me.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 13:43   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

My biggest problem is I dont keep track of the fund growth or its returns.

But, its nice to see HDFC equity Fund giving a return of 30%+ in a 3 year period.

I started a SIP in that fund about 6 months ago.
Old 25th January 2012, 13:55   #101
Senior - BHPian

MF experts,

Need some advice here.

I have been doing SIP for the past three years since 2008 when the markets had crashed. Intially when the market recovered I had made some profits which slowly were wiped off during the last 6 months. I have a mix of MF in which I am SIPing. I have query regarding one fund Tata P/E equity fund. Although this fund gave good returns in the first year, now the returns are -ve. I am thinking of moving out of this fund once I recover the amt invested into a 5* rated Balanced fund. Is this a good idea and if so which fund should I go for?
Old 26th January 2012, 09:03   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have query regarding one fund Tata P/E equity fund. Although this fund gave good returns in the first year, now the returns are -ve. I am thinking of moving out of this fund once I recover the amt invested into a 5* rated Balanced fund. Is this a good idea and if so which fund should I go for?
Instead of waiting for your existing funds to be positive you can start new SIPs.

Without knowing about your financial goals the following are my general recommendations:

You may consider IDFC Premier Equity A (growth), HDFC Equity, and Birla Sun Life Frontline Equity - A (G).

Of the three recommendations BSL Frontline Equity is a Large Cap fund, IDFC Premier Equity A (growth) is a Mid Cap fund and HDFC Equity is a diversified fund.

IMHO you should not look at balanced funds at this point of time since equity markets would be on their way up in the next two to three years. After the said period of rise you may consider a balanced fund.

However if you still need the balanced fund you may look at HDFC Balanced Fund. However divide your investments over 3 to 4 funds.
Old 26th January 2012, 19:17   #103
BANNED

@ghodlur; Take a look at Valueresearchonline.com
Old 28th February 2012, 14:58   #104
BHPian

I wish to invest around 10000 per month is SIP. I am too confused on the mutual funds.
It would be great if anyone here could guide me as to which ones should I opt for and in what proportion - with reasons if possible.
I am new to MF investments.
Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 15:59   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My biggest problem is I dont keep track of the fund growth or its returns.
You can do what I have done. Two options-

1. Create a portfolio on valueresearchonline.com. It allows up to five accounts to be created. Then you can log in any time and see. You can enter SIPs etc. as well.

2. Create a spreadsheet with the information. Then you can set up camsonline.com to send you the NAVs (I prefer once a week). Remember, while CAMS covers almost all fund houses, it does not cover all (most notably Franklin Templeton). These are houses which it manages accounts for and includes DSPBR, Fidelity, IDFC, HDFC, HSBC, Pru-ICICI etc. Then you can update information in the spreadsheet and see.

My own view is that the markets may not have much of a downside left (unless election results mess it up) and remember for best returns buy at (or rather near) the bottom. At the moment debt is the way to go. As interest rates soften the returns will go up. I remember crossing 14.5% at one stage! Always remember that you need a mix of equity and debt. I assume you have a five year plus horizon.

Last edited by sgiitk : 28th February 2012 at 16:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks