Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2006, 10:22   #1
BHPian

City Hang outs!!!!

This thread is for your people who wanna talk about the places that rock in the place you live and the places you've been too. This could be informative to people who travel as well as those who are new to the cities we live in...

I am from Bangalore and We (a group of 4 to 8 guys) in one or two of our cars go to a lake near the outer ring road, its sort of a no man's land with very few people moving about, pick up enough to drink et munchings, blast music, watch the moon, drink till death!!!, eat at Koramangala Imperial or Empire (this place is open till the wee hours of the morning) reach home by 2:00-3:00 in the morning. Usually do it Saturdays. This is something I look forward to every week after going thru heaven n hell at work all week.

Goa
9 Bar in Vagator beach for some party time. Martin's corner in Betalbatim, for some exotic goan food.
So what do you guys do for fun in your city n keep 'em coming

Last edited by anarchist : 17th February 2006 at 10:23.
Old 17th February 2006, 10:24   #2
BANNED

Hey,

Good suggestion. I will contribute a bit later as I have to leave for work.

Viper
Old 17th February 2006, 10:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Dude either you are crazy or have no nasal receptors . Is the lake your are talking about is "Belandur Lake". Thats where all the sewage from bangalore goes!
Old 17th February 2006, 11:02   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Our hang out places :
1. LCD (Lavelle Road Coffee Day) ..
2. Bhagini at marathalli ..
3. Grand Ashoka ..
4. Ring Road where the drags happen ..
Old 17th February 2006, 11:45   #5
k36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist
drink till death!!!,
Hope its not by drunken driving
Old 17th February 2006, 11:58   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist
This thread is for your people who wanna talk about the places that rock in the place you live and the places you've been too. This could be informative to people who travel as well as those who are new to the cities we live in...

Goa
9 Bar in Vagator beach for some party time. Martin's corner in Betalbatim, for some exotic goan food.
So what do you guys do for fun in your city n keep 'em coming
Hey, where on Vagator beach is this 9 Bar ?? I'm staying at the Sterling Resort on Vagator so if this Bar is real kewl let me know .. I'd like to check it out !!

Delhi ... Elevate, Orange Room ( Ashoka Hotel ), Ricks ( Taj ), Buzz ( Saket ) and Turqoise Cottage on Wed nights !!! For food , after alcohol the Parantha guys in Yousof Sarai ..

Goa .. I luv Club Cobana ... !!!

Cheers
Old 17th February 2006, 12:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Dude either you are crazy or have no nasal receptors . Is the lake your are talking about is "Belandur Lake". Thats where all the sewage from bangalore goes!
The stench is only near the entrance to the lake from the ring road side and not all over
Old 17th February 2006, 12:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Hey, where on Vagator beach is this 9 Bar ?? I'm staying at the Sterling Resort on Vagator so if this Bar is real kewl let me know .. I'd like to check it out !!
Ask around dude, you will get the directions to the place. This place is facing the sea over a hill with a nice view of the beach, you into Rave, hard core techno this is the place to be...
Old 17th February 2006, 14:06   #9
BHPian

Nice thread! Well, As I have lived in both Delhi and Hyderabad I think I will take the liberty of mentioning places which I liked in both.

Hyderabad:
Well, for karting, We have this place called Runway 9 on the way to shamerpet.
We have a pretty big (atleast much bigger than the ones in Delhi!) Barista and CCD at madhapur on the way to hi-tech city.
For shopping we got malls like Shoppers Stop, Lifestyle (both in Begumpet), Central in panjagutta, and numerous branded stores all over banjara hills.
For movies we got mulitiplex's like Prasad's IMAX and PVR in Central. Or one on a low budget could just have fun at Sangeet (best place to catch the night show!)
For eating, well, there are so many, I'm pretty sure i'm missing out many of them. If you like to sit by the lake and eat, we got this place called Eat Street on Necklace Road, like this place, but can get pretty crowded so tend to aviod going there. Eat street's got everything from subway's foot longs to biryani, and you have the option to take your food up on to the terrace and eat. Best at night.
Talking about lakes, if you game for a long drive, you could also have a picnic at gandipet lake, but dont know how many people still do that. On the way back you can stop at this resort called alankrita for dinner.
Other good restaurants are KFC at MG Road (parking is a horror though), the food court at Central, Spice Republic at Somajiguda, our very famous Nanking for chinese, all the 5-stars like Grand Kakatia, The Taj hotels, etc, Ohri's, Paradise (it's biryani is world famous!!!), the numerous Pizza Huts and Pizza Corners, and so many more which I can't recollect at the moment. Other Hyderabadi's can add to this list.
For people who like to party, there are the pubs which are open till 12:00 'officially'! All the pubs have different nights dedicated to different topics, like retro night, rock night, ladies night, etc. There is Ten Downing Street (Aka 10D, TDS) in the lifestyle complex. Highly recommended is their lunch menu's of steak and beer!!!
Dublin in Grand Kakatia, Underdeck, Touch, Bottles and Chimney, Shisha, Liquids, Cinnabar Redd, Ahala to name a few. For the bikers is this pretty cheap and popular place (with good music!) called Easy Riders and a place with another good and cheap deal (esp. for heavy drinkers and people who go in groups to drink and are generally low on resources!) is Club 8, having a 50% off on drinks scheme from 12:00 Pm to 8:00Pm.

Delhi:
My favourite places for hanging out were GK-1 M-block Market, Saket (which has the PVR multiplex), Priya's (has a PVR in it), The Centrestage Mall with it's multiplex and hoards of eating places in and around it at Noida, Metropolitian Mall at Gurgaon, and the one opp it called DT. Dont much care for Ansal's Plaza.

My fav eating joints and pubs/discos were Elevate in Centrestage mall (entry a lil expensive but then the music is good and the crowd is great), Moccha at GK (absolutly adore the place, great food, hooka, and the drinks are pretty neat too...caution: you might have to wait atleast an hour to get entry into this popular place :P), the Ego Restraunts in New Friends Colony (Ego Thai is fabulous!), TGIF aka Thank God It's Friday, Tgi Friday (both in saket and priya's), Turquoise Cottage in hauz kauz (like khaddu said, on wednesdays when bands play there), Steel, Village Cafe (used to be my personal fav!!! awsome music, bean bags to sit on, great crowd, esp if you were a regular there like how I was), Chor Bizzare in Noida, DV-8 (another good place when bands are playing) in CP, Dublin, F-Bar (a little expensive, but the crowd is hot hot hot!), the Big Chill (in east of kailash and khan market<this one i liked more>) and Flavors for awesome Itialian food (both these places make pastas, steaks, and for desserts,their mississippi mudpies (only Big Chill) and cheezecakes which are to die for!), The Mezz (rock music on certain days, live bands sometimes, great place to eat and drink, or you can do what I usually did, grab a beer and go play pool at the table there) I highly recommend the Mezz!!!, The Lodhi Garden Restraunt (I think it's called that)..very picturesque with loads and loads of greenery around...absolutly stunning and looks very english (pretty steeply priced though), Ruby Tuesday (liked it but found it pretty similar to TGIF), QBA (the menu may be small but the food is good), the restraunts at India Habitat Centre (you have to be a member to have access to them, but the place is good, for non-members there is always this place inside the IHC complex which I cant remember), and ofcourse another favourite place of mine inside IHC, which is accessable to everyone 24/7 is the All American Diner and it is the best place where you can get american style breakfast. They serve the best ever pancakes, scrambled eggs on toast all day/night long!, Oriental Octopus in Gurgaon, Panjabi By Nature (aka pbn), Oxygen, Pyramids. There is this pub in Vasant Vihar which I used to frequent a lot, but I can't recollect its name at the moment. Another must try is the Great Indian Kabab Factory at Noida and in Gurgaon (on the way to the airport), The Supper Factory, Red Snapper for their fish. There are few other places I liked but don't really remember about at the moment!!!

Phew! I hope that was helpful! Looks like I had more of a ball at Delhi than in Hyd!

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 17th February 2006, 14:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Alok, quit your job and join Lonely Planet!

BLR: Rice Bowl, Coffee Day, Barista, Corner House, Empire, Kaati Zone, KFC, The Only Place, Hyderabadi Biriyan House (brilliant and authentic), Spinn, Purple Haze.

BTW, Alok, I'd still pick Convenio and Satkar over all the other places!
Old 17th February 2006, 15:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Our hang out places :
1. LCD (Lavelle Road Coffee Day) ..
2. Bhagini at marathalli ..
3. Grand Ashoka ..
4. Ring Road where the drags happen ..
can you tell me more about ring road and other places where these drags and races take place....where do people usually hang out to show off their rides??like in bangalore i read somewhere that on saturdays on mg road you will find many e-zens,b-zens and modded balenos....any other such places?
Old 17th February 2006, 15:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider4385
Talking about lakes, if you game for a long drive, you could also have a picnic at gandipet lake, but dont know how many people still do that. On the way back you can stop at this resort called alankrita for dinner.
looks like you got confused between Shamirpet and Gandipet lakes..
you get Alankrita on road to Shamirpet .. Drive on Shamirpet road is very relaxing and beautiful .. there are lots of resorts on this road ...
you got almost everything in Hyd ..
Hyderabad has very good roads outside the city to drive on .. normally on saturdays or sundays , me and my friends just go roaming on Vikarabad road or to Shamirpet road and get onto Medchal road which has lots of Dhabas open late in night .. normally end up driving around 150 kms in night ..
There is a lake near HiTech city called Secret lake or Durgam Cheruvu which has a beautiful Driveway ..
KBR park parking is another major hangout .. we can get to see imported bikes and cars being shown off there ...
On tankbund there is a place called BadeMian restaraunt, we can sit and eat in Car only, where they serve the best of Kebabs you can ever get to eat ..
Old 17th February 2006, 17:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
BTW, Alok, I'd still pick Convenio and Satkar over all the other places!
Ahhh... sorry to break the news to you bro, but convenio's been broken down because of the road widening and new flyover work going on there. They've even taken away land from school to widen the road!!!
And I think satkar's gone too.. sigh!!! good ol' days huh?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haryan
looks like you got confused between Shamirpet and Gandipet lakes..
you get Alankrita on road to Shamirpet .. Drive on Shamirpet road is very relaxing and beautiful .. there are lots of resorts on this road ...
Yikes!!! Now how in the world did I manage to confuse the two of them?! Good that you noticed and pointed it out haryan! Another place I forgot to mention is sinikpuri. Filled with lovely quaint houses and parts of it are pretty green. I have my farm house there and I think the drive through the lanes to get to many of the farm houses is pretty good. Though the road before sinikpuri is a terror!!!!

Correct me if i'm wrong but isnt secret lake in jubilee hills and not hitech city which is near madhapur.
Secret lake or Durgam Cheruvu used to be an almost private place where there was a rumour that ladies used to go there to sun bathe in their 'birthday suits' . But then now it's been turned into a disc cum multi-function place. There is another relatively unknown lake called lotus lake. Really nice place but cops will give you hell if they catch you there, and if you don't have contacts to get them off your back.
Another thing about KBR park. It's the best place to go for an early morning or late walk, or a romatic stroll , and the last time I went there, it looked like a mini forest reserve! Yes, that is one of the best places to go car watching.

After hitech city near cybergate is where all the drags take place on weekends at around 1:30 or so in the morning. But it's not a place where everyone is allowed. You might find it hard to believe but, because of the influence of the parents of the kids who drag, sometimes cops actually flag off drags there!!! I did'nt believe that when I heard it the first time too! LOL...take about bureaucracy[COLOR=#0000cc] [/COLOR]working for you!

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 17th February 2006, 17:43   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrow
can you tell me more about ring road and other places where these drags and races take place....where do people usually hang out to show off their rides??like in bangalore i read somewhere that on saturdays on mg road you will find many e-zens,b-zens and modded balenos....any other such places?
Discussing such things on a public forum will tend to make it really problematic .. And i think we could end up loosing out on the fun entirely .. For further details u can either PM me or try and make it to the weekend meets .. Cant reveal anything , but all i can say almost every pimped ride in town it out there showing off during the weekends..
Old 17th February 2006, 19:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider4385
:

Correct me if i'm wrong but isnt secret lake in jubilee hills and not hitech city which is near madhapur.

After hitech city near cybergate is where all the drags take place on weekends at around 1:30 or so in the morning. But it's not a place where everyone is allowed. You might find it hard to believe but, because of the influence of the parents of the kids who drag, sometimes cops actually flag off drags there!!! .
Secret lake is exactly at the Border of Jubilee hills and Madhapur .. just two Kms away from Hitech Phase II
Lane that goes into CyberGateway leads you staight to Secret lake ...

and i seriously doubt about the drag races happening there ... Seriously ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks