Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2014, 18:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: IT - Contract to Hire / Contract 2 hire jobs ? Beware.. Don't even think about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
*Bumping up an old thread*

I got an offer from a company Bristlecone and I was told that I will have to work at their client's XYZ (very reputed client) location. I asked them, whether its a contract position, they said no, its not a contract position, you will be a permanent employee of Bristlecone, not XYZ. Your shift allowances and transport would be paid by the XYZ. Bristlecone is a CMMI Level 5 company and are they playing with words and actually offered to hire me for a C2H position?

P.S:- I did not accept the offer.
I dont think it is a C2H offer - my current company have many associates deployed at client locations - they will be hired by my company and they will be permanent employees of my company, but their work location will be at client office. I think it is almost a standard practice now, and I know few other very reputed companies following this format.

--Anoop
Old 12th September 2014, 20:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: IT - Contract to Hire / Contract 2 hire jobs ? Beware.. Don't even think about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
I got an offer from a company Bristlecone and I was told that I will have to work at their client's XYZ (very reputed client)
Its not a C2H, you'll be an employee of Bcone and work at XYZ. The contract is only between Bcone and XYZ, not between you and XYZ.

My wife was working in a similar model, where she was using XYZ's transportation.
Old 12th September 2014, 21:40   #33
BHPian

This is nothing but a contract job and this is how a contract job industry in India works. You will be a permanent employee of Bristlecone and a contract employee of the actual employer (agreement will be only made b/n them). I am not sure whether they have an inhouse career option for you, else the employment will be valid till the client has the requirement and you will be on bench till another client need your service.
Old 12th September 2014, 22:04   #34

Firstly, with over a decade of experience of working, hiring and career planning of subordinates, my strong advice - Never get into contract job in India (except may be when you have no choice). Contracts give you a "job", not a "career". A career in any decent company pays off on the long run by enhancing your skills & provides you with decent value. I, as a manager, never liked to hire contractors as I find no interest in investing in their learning simply because they may quit any day when my top management replaces them with permanent positions.

Even jobs where X company hires to place in Y company are temporary, unless X has a strategy to move the project slowly to its own centers.

Only exception to accepting contract job that I could think of is - you have no choice when you must move to some particular city and also when you have little experience and kind of have to accept what's at hand.
Old 13th September 2014, 00:09   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
So read the details and scan for some fine print somewhere!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I dont think it is a C2H offer - my current company have many associates deployed at client locations - they will be hired by my company and they will be permanent employees of my company, but their work location will be at client office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Its not a C2H, you'll be an employee of Bcone and work at XYZ. The contract is only between Bcone and XYZ, not between you and XYZ.

My wife was working in a similar model, where she was using XYZ's transportation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
This is nothing but a contract job and this is how a contract job industry in India works. You will be a permanent employee of Bristlecone and a contract employee of the actual employer (agreement will be only made b/n them).
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchi View Post
Firstly, with over a decade of experience of working, hiring and career planning of subordinates, my strong advice - Never get into contract job in India (except may be when you have no choice). Contracts give you a "job", not a "career".

Only exception to accepting contract job that I could think of is - you have no choice when you must move to some particular city and also when you have little experience and kind of have to accept what's at hand.

Thanks guys. I have anyways decided not to accept the offer. And it looks like they are finding it hard to hire, I got calls from 3 different people from there trying to convince me to join. Most candidates get turned off when they say that you have to work from client's location.
Old 13th September 2014, 00:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

If the client is good and is reputable, speak out to them and tell them why you are hesitating. The offer letter cannot be from the client directly, but from the company that you are hired from. This letter would say, "You are contracted to work with" the client company.

You can use all the services (food, transport) of the client company as well.

You may have people working on the client company (friends or here on this forum) whom you may reach out to know this relationship.

There are quite a few successful relationship between these companies that i know of.

Only thing to keep in mind is, the client company should hire you for their own in house work and not be contracted to another client. (i.e it should not be a third contract)
Old 13th September 2014, 01:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear your woes & hopefully I'm not late in seeing this. Xerox is having zillion opening for various positions. The work location revolves around Bangalore, Kochi & Madras. If you're interested, you can pick one to suit your skills for time being to keep your EMIs, if any, and catch up with other financial needs.

Please let me know if you're interested & I can see what can be offered to you.
Old 13th September 2014, 02:05   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

This can have strange implications if you are registered with multiple C2H firms.

In 2008 I interviewed a person for a critical onsite role that my company was not able to fulfil internally. He was OK, not great, and I put him on standby while I continued to interview other candidates. Maybe a couple of weeks later my offshore counterpart scheduled an interview with another candidate. It was from another subcon and I started the interview. About 3 minutes in, I realised it was the same guy I had interviewed from the other company 2 weeks before! I asked him as much and here's the funny thing- HE DIDN'T REMEMBER. I recognised his voice, his name (it was spelt differently and a common name but same last name as well), his experience was the same etc. I started laughing while the poor guy sweated (figuratively) at the other end of the line. Finally I told him, dude I had shortlisted you and you would probably have got the job based on your last interview but now I'm not so sure! Told my offshore counterpart later and he told me this was a common practice and that we should just reject the candidate (both candidates )
Old 4th August 2017, 16:54   #39
BHPian

Re: IT - Contract to Hire / Contract 2 hire jobs ? Beware.. Don't even think about it.

Bumping up an old thread as I am in same boat now.
I am a permanent employee of one of India's BIG 3 IT ( lets say A) comps and our client is an IB.
Now I have resigned from A as I have an offer from another IB (permanent position). Now my current client wants to retain me but on contract position, and promised to hire permanently after a year. I do trust them, but I am confused , please share your views.

B/w I have 9 years of experience in IT and never worked on contract roles.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th August 2017 at 17:07. Reason: corrected typo
Old 4th August 2017, 17:50   #40
Oxy
BHPian

Re: IT - Contract to Hire / Contract 2 hire jobs ? Beware.. Don't even think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
I am a permanent employee of one of India's BIG 3 IT ( lets say A) comps and our client is an IB.
Now I have resigned from A as I have an offer from another IB (permanent position). Now my current client wants to retain me but on contract position, and promised to hire permanently after a year. I do trust them, but I am confused , please share your views.

When you have worked 9 years on permanent rolls, why would you take up a contract position now?

It's a no brainer. Take the permanent role that you have been offered.
Old 4th August 2017, 18:18   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Not from IT field, but can suggest from my 15 of industry experience, do not take a contractual role after so many years of permanent service. I am also very wary of taking up a counter offer from my current employer after I have resigned but then that's my way of looking at the things.
Old 4th August 2017, 20:48   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Contract work isn't widespread in Indian IT, primarily because it's seen as an 'unstable' option and 'contingent labor' is predominantly considered a negative thing. It's a perception issue, not completely based in facts.

That paradigm is shifting now, 'permanent' is no longer safe either because workforce needs are shifting quicker than they used to, budgets are under increased pressure and spending scrutiny is higher that ever, so nobody wants to keep talent on-hand that cannot be utilized and is ultimately sunk cost. If an organisation doesn't see RoI, employment type won't matter in the separation decision. It's easier to get rid of contingent labor, but that works both ways.

With more and more organizations/industries focusing on core strengths, contingent labor is going to become a larger part of the workforce; people with specialized skills that are important but required for shorter periods, or at least provide decision-making flexibility in a dynamic scenario.

I won't recommend either option, that's a call you need to make based on what makes most sense to you in your specific situtation, but I'd suggest you don't consider 'permanence' as the sole deciding factor. Job permanence is passe, and it's not coming back.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th August 2017 at 21:15.
Old 4th August 2017, 22:20   #43
BHPian

Wow. Never knew such a thread existed.
I agree with chetan_rao. A friend of mine, who is very senior to me, has started working only on contract. He has around 12 years of experience. While talking to me, he mentioned that contract Jobs pay higher and don't have any strings attached. There will be 1 week notice but that doesn't matter. He works 6-8 months in a year and makes more than what permanent employees make. Note that he doesnt have any niche skillset. As he says, he is always at right place at right time

PS :networking plays a big role for this kind of a job
Old 4th August 2017, 23:06   #44
BHPian

I never knew about this thread but then here I go with my queries. I am in US currently through a big name Indian IT company. I have 2 years or H1B left and I want to get my GC done here. I know that one option is to shift to a consultancy which offers job with some other big name company or a US company and I would be a contractor with that consultancy. These consultancies in US usually also do your GC but after 3-6 months.

As of now, for me, this seems the only option to get my GC done as I don't think my own big name Indian IT company will do it for me. Also since now premium filings are closed for H1, shifting to another consultancy is not really possible since here we usually start working for them on the basis of H1 transfer acknowledgement (not approval) but usually approval comes in under a month so it is kind of safe. But with no premium risk is more and also I believe the consultancy will open up more once premium processing is allowed again.

Does anyone know of any reputable consultancies in US whom I can count on with getting H1 transfer and subsequently GC done ?
Old 5th August 2017, 11:56   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Unless they put something in writing, they have nothing to offer. Take on the new role and if the client offers something permanant, consider it

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Wow. Never knew such a thread existed.
I agree with chetan_rao. A friend of mine, who is very senior to me, has started working only on contract. He has around 12 years of experience. While talking to me, he mentioned that contract Jobs pay higher and don't have any strings attached. There will be 1 week notice but that doesn't matter. He works 6-8 months in a year and makes more than what permanent employees make. Note that he doesnt have any niche skillset. As he says, he is always at right place at right time

PS :networking plays a big role for this kind of a job
A good position to be in as long as you are not bothered with climbing corporate ladders.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks