Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2011, 07:52   #61
BHPian

Re: Does it make sense to retain petrol cars, considering the frequent fuel hikes?

I do two tank fulls every month for regular usage of my Alto, even after the hike, i will continue to use my alto.

With the increase in petrol price, that is Rs 3.2, for me every-month of 60 liters consumption i spend Rs 192 extra which is not a big deal for me (or at-least for me )

End of the day even if the petrol prices hit Rs 100 in couple of months, i will just reduce the two tank fulls per month to one tank full and be a happy petrol head
Old 17th September 2011, 08:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does it makes sense to retain petrol cars, considering the frequent fuel hikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
For those who have cars outside your warranty period, try after market LPG kits. I have been using a closed loop LPG kit 4 years back for 18K from PKY Works (Pandian is among the best in this business). You get to enjoy the fun of driving a petrol car without worrying about the rising petrol cost.
The southern part of India has abundance of Auto LPG filling stations.
As sgiitk said, "Diesel is also due for a hike, sooner rather than later"

We get a fuel efficiency of petrol at diesel price, which is really good considering the price diffrence of Rs.30 between petrol and LPG in Bangalore. LPG is easily available in many parts of South India and Bangalore easily. Whenever we try to suggest somebody with LPG, they come up with lame excuses its not safe, pickup is less, engine wear and tear is high. Try the new generation LPG cars or LPG conversion kits and you will not have a second thought about your decision. LPG can be the only saviour for a common man in the coming years.
Old 17th September 2011, 09:22   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does it make sense to retain petrol cars, considering the frequent fuel hikes?

Well i think many has missed the main point here, the concern wht i had is with regular hikes in petrol does retaining the petrol car does it makes sense? this hike may not have had too much effect on many but what when the prices touch 100bucks or more...which i think wont be long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
I do two tank fulls every month for regular usage of my Alto, even after the hike, i will continue to use my alto.

With the increase in petrol price, that is Rs 3.2, for me every-month of 60 liters consumption i spend Rs 192 extra which is not a big deal for me (or at-least for me )

End of the day even if the petrol prices hit Rs 100 in couple of months, i will just reduce the two tank fulls per month to one tank full and be a happy petrol head
Old 17th September 2011, 09:32   #64
BHPian

A couple of years ago - when I bought my i10 Kappa - I used to drive ~ 1000 km/month (That to mostly with light Traffic) - However, a change in the work environment has increased my driving to nearly 2500 km/month - Am I considering trading my Car for a diesel? Heck no !! - doing the research on an LPG kit, might succumb to one (good installers in delhi/gurgaon?-suggestions please)

Apart from the fact that it makes no financial sense - I'd probably spend atleast 1.2 Lakhs on a swap to get a comparable car with a diesel heart -I'm not sure I'd be happy driving a diesel in rush hour traffic (I'm comparing with the swift diesel here - sure a fair bit of the experience is due to size/visibility rather than just the engine). And just because I'm posting on Team-BHP - I must acknowledge that the rush of a high revving petrol engine overshadows a diesel by some margin - though it's a rarity for me to rev to the limit, but knowing the ability exists is a joy in itself
Old 17th September 2011, 09:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well i think many has missed the main point here, the concern wht i had is with regular hikes in petrol does retaining the petrol car does it makes sense? this hike may not have had too much effect on many but what when the prices touch 100bucks or more...which i think wont be long.
As i have already told, when the price touches 100 bucks, my terms will be reduce the usage to half.
The next thing which i might do is, even though people tell you to keep the petrol car for weekend and diesel car for weekdays, But how many people can offer to maintain two cars
So the most practical idea would be to use your petrol car till it reaches the 5 year mark, then sell it off and get a decent Diesel car like swift.
Having two cars just for the sake of having a weekend petrol head drive is not wroth it, at-least for me.

And does it makes sense to retain your petrol car --- the answer is a big yes if your car is less than 5 years old

Last edited by jp2u : 17th September 2011 at 09:37.
jp2u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 09:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

true!

but in my case is a twist its a 2002model and am way above 5year mark

Am planning to run the car till i get signs of its vital organs giving up...

Am also thinking of considering a used swift vdi but wary about the maintenance of a used car....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
As i have already told, when the price touches 100 bucks, my terms will be reduce the usage to half.
The next thing which i might do is, even though people tell you to keep the petrol car for weekend and diesel car for weekdays, But how many people can offer to maintain two cars
So the most practical idea would be to use your petrol car till it reaches the 5 year mark, then sell it off and get a decent Diesel car like swift.
Having two cars just for the sake of having a weekend petrol head drive is not wroth it, at-least for me.

And does it makes sense to retain your petrol car --- the answer is a big yes if your car is less than 5 years old
Old 17th September 2011, 10:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

I own one petrol car with one more along the way, and while I did think of switching over to the dark side, I won't. This fuel hike translates to about Rs. 750 extra if I were to stick to the current pattern of consumption, and in all fairness the running on my i20 will drop substantially once the Jazz arrives. So I'm not too fussed.

There's the feel good factor too that has been touched upon so often. Petrol cars are just more fun to drive, period. The Cruze is one car for which an exception springs to mind, but it's way too expensive for me right now and I don't want to walk through life making compromises. So no, not a chance of me switching over to a diesel car in the medium term. Long term, not a clue.

Besides, there's a certain joy that comes with driving a redline happy petrol car. You can't put a price tag on that, so why subsidize joy?
Old 17th September 2011, 10:23   #68
BHPian

@lohithrao : My humble advice, never go for used Swift VDI, unless its a known source.
Old 17th September 2011, 22:01   #69
BHPian

Two things worse than the high petrol prices are fuel quality and the condition & saturation of our roads.

Fuel quality @88 octane? is abysmal. Taxes build up fuel costs and oil companies under recover (after taxes). Govt calls it subsidy.

Most fuel is wasted in man made traffic jams and not in travel. Condition of the roads are appalling and apart form wasting fuel, damage our cars.

I wonder how much the Govt raises in taxes from car excise, purchase tax, road tax, fuel tax(es). Does anyone have the figures?

The trouble is we the common Car & Bike men are not organised enough to lobby for our rights.
Old 17th September 2011, 22:02   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Reason : I love to drive, and (to me) the sheer pleasure of high-revving a petrol, using those additional rpms in corners and enjoying my early morning / late night drives is more important than the cost of fuel. I've said it before and said it again : Nothing beats the sheer joy of revving the nuts of a smooth, silky, redline-happy petrol engine. With diesels, the fun is over even before it starts.
For those who happen to own a petrol car by choice or compulsion, I'm rephrasing GTO's post for the petrol-head....

GTO'S TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR A PETROL-HEAD:

1. The sheer pleasure of high-revving a petrol.

2. Ability to use those additional RPMs in corners.

3. Enjoying drives is more important than the cost of fuel.

4. Nothing beats the sheer joy of revving the nuts of a smooth, silky, redline-happy petrol engine.

5. With diesels, the fun is over even before it starts.

6. A nicely tuned free flow and resultant aural symphony just adds that much more to the pleasure quotient of sweet petrols.

7. Clattery diesels? No comparo.

8. The smile on one's face is more important than the weight of one's wallet.

9. When a person has lived, the person should know that he/she lived like he/she wanted to.

10. Prefer the sight of the RPM counter to the fuel gauge.

PS: I'm planning to print this list and I hope to keep one copy in my I10 and Alto. This list should make me feel better when I pay ever-increasing rates to refuel my cars at a pump.

Last edited by misquitas : 17th September 2011 at 22:08.
misquitas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 22:07   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
For those who happen to own a petrol car by choice or compulsion, I'm rephrasing GTO's post for the petrol-head....

4. Nothing beats the sheer joy of revving the nuts of a smooth, silky, redline-happy petrol engine.

6. A nicely tuned free flow and resultant aural symphony just adds that much more to the pleasure quotient of sweet petrols.

9. When a person has lived, the person should know that he/she lived like he/she wanted to.

You forgot one:

POWAAAARRR!

Clarkson would approve!

Petrol is meant to be burnt, IMO. So even if it is 20 bucks, or 50 bucks, 70 bucks or even a 100, it WILL be burnt. And burnt by me! Always!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 22:40   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post

PS: I'm planning to print this list and I hope to keep one copy in my I10 and Alto. This list should make me feel better when I pay ever-increasing rates to refuel my cars at a pump.
And you know what - We petrol heads are doing our bit to save environment too. No smoke whatsoever from our car's exhaust. Petrol cars are less polluting when compared to diesels.

Add this important point to the list also.
Old 17th September 2011, 22:52   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
And you know what - We petrol heads are doing our bit to save environment too. No smoke whatsoever from our car's exhaust. Petrol cars are less polluting when compared to diesels.

Add this important point to the list also.
True, we should all collaborate in compiling a list on the benefits of a petrol car. The exercise could be rewarding, financially and psychologically, to us petrol heads.

Having said that, there are some who would argue that diesel cars emit less of certain types of noxious gases. Not sure who is right in this debate.

Last edited by misquitas : 17th September 2011 at 22:54.
Old 17th September 2011, 23:15   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

In other words, to the OP, who asked the original question....
you asked the completely wrong set of people here!!!

Petrol currently is the most expensive fluid I buy, and guess what, its second on the list of most consumed per month!!!
Old 17th September 2011, 23:24   #75
BHPian

Logically, if you plan to keep your vehicle with you for over 8-10 years and are going to driver her for more than 800 Kms per month, then it makes practical sense to opt for a diesel. Else the 1,00,000 Lakh premium that you will pay over a petrol model will never recover.

I'd do a part time job/business to get more cash flow to fund my petrol bills and stay happy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks