Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 15:15   #106
BHPian

Re: The Travails of a Cyclist in Indian Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
For those advocating cycle lanes, please have a look at the cycling lanes that were marked in Jayanagar in Bangalore sometime back. The lanes are used as car parking lanes in many places or as a license to encroach upon the road.

More than the infrastructure, its the attitude towards cyclists/cycling that needs to change in India.
I have seen this in Jayanagar (which I suppose has a decent cycle track all throughout?) and it pains me no end. For once the authorities came up with such a good idea and the people rubbished it

I remember when the track was marked at the beginning and if people parked their cars on it - newspapers duly reported it. Now is has been reduced to just one of those meaningless lines on the road.
So what are the authorities doing about it? Zilch. Why dont you simply fine all the cars? I am sure that money is the only thing that bothers us now. What about a 500 buck parking charge per incident?

I absolutely agree that its the mindset that needs to change first. If we acted like sane and educated people on the road, half the problems would be gone.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th August 2013 at 16:02. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 19th June 2013, 15:18   #107
Mik
BHPian

I dabbled with cycling to my office in gurgaon (Unitech Infospace) and boy was i some sort of "item". A little bit of attention is ok but when a Honda City driver moves over to your side boxing you in and clicks a pic, or the cabbie irritatedly blares out his horn and you have to trust God blindly when crossing the road - it is simply not worth it. Nope - nothing to do with education. Even at the entrance i was stopped for my I card and the irritated car wallah(obviously an employee) behind me started honking mindlessly.
Me using blinking rear lights, "alien" helmet and smarty goggles only contributed to the melee around me. I have left the thought of cycling to office.
Old 19th August 2013, 22:24   #108
BHPian

Irresponsible article in The Overdrive

Dear Friends,

I read this article on The Overdrive website written by the executive editor Vikrant Singh & I felt ashamed at his attitude towards the growing cycling community.

http://overdrive.in/opinions/cycle-t...here-but-here/

If his idea was to give cyclists a lesson in safety he should have done more respectfully & not disdainfully - just not expected of a publication of the stature of The Overdrive.

Everyone had equal right to this earth (& to the man-made roads thereon) - be it four-wheeled in overdrive or a bicycle or just two feet. And to politely remind Sir Vikrant Singh, statistically there are more errant motorists on Indian roads than there are cyclists. (I know this forum is closely watched by automotive industry / publications . . . or should be).

I request fellow members to urge The Overdrive to be more respectful of the human-powered vehicles.

Regards

Sanjay
Old 19th August 2013, 23:25   #109
BHPian

Re: The great Indian Car Magazine war.

Here's an Overdrive opinion piece that's taking on the cyclists:

Has managed to raise a storm in the comments section there.
nareshov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 00:24   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
What an appalling piece.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 20th August 2013, 08:02   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post

Has managed to raise a storm in the comments section there.
I think the author tried a Jeremy Clarkson on the cyclists. And clearly it didn't go according to plan.
Old 27th August 2013, 22:08   #112
BHPian

The Travails of a Cyclist in Indian Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post

When I cycle in Delhi, I always have an SUV driving behind me to protect me from these idiots.

I feel scared to ride my bike, my passion in my country.
I drive up to the highway and then start riding because I'm too damn scared to ride within the city of crumbling roads and moronic drivers. And I love my bike too much to subject it to Bombay's "roads".
Some great cycle tracks were constructed in Delhi prior to Common Wealth Games. One of them is over 15 Kms long, running from Red Fort in Centre Delhi to Madangir in South East Delhi along the Lala Lajpat Rai Marg. I cycled down this track last Sunday for a reality check.

The Travails of a Cyclist in Indian Cities-20130825-08.24.20.jpg
Much of this track is still in good shape and frequented by commuting cyclists.

The track connects a number of tourist spots and is a great way to explore Delhi, particularly in winter.

The Travails of a Cyclist in Indian Cities-20130825-08.39.25.jpg
For convenience of tourists Planet Green Bikes have made available cycles on hire at nearly 10 locations along this track. These are available at Rs 10 for 4 hrs - A most economical way to get around.
Although I see these cycles parked here, I don't think there is much patronage. Even the web site of Planet Green Bikes seems to have closed down.

Its only a matter of time before the cycle track is overrun by illegal occupants.

The Travails of a Cyclist in Indian Cities-20130825-08.02.13.jpg
I could already find rows of cars parked on the cycle track by residents of DDA Colony at Madangir...

The Travails of a Cyclist in Indian Cities-20130825-08.22.28.jpg
...and a contractor fabricating, what looked like a possible bus stop, on the cycle track.

Its a shame that such a good facility is going waste and deteriorating due to public apathy.

Last edited by rajcs : 27th August 2013 at 22:11.
Old 10th September 2013, 14:55   #113
BHPian

wait! they have banned cycling in Calcutta?!

http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2013/08/...is-banning-it/
Old 28th October 2013, 12:31   #114
Team-BHP Support

A nice video. It explains itself.

Old 24th February 2016, 13:52   #115
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone used this T Shirt while cycling

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00W...apparel&sr=1-1

or

http://www.amazon.in/Swim-Shirt-Sun-...8-2fbf8de647b3

These are with
Sun Protection: PROFILTER UPF 50+ component. Protection even when wet. Blocks min 95% of UV rays.

I commute to office by cycle about 2 days a week. This year the summer seems to be really cruel.
Old 25th February 2016, 01:47   #116
BHPian

Guys,
anybody here has experience riding a cycle on the WEH in Bombay? I have just purchased a cycle and would want to take up cycling in the mornings probably around 7
am in the mornings.

regards
dieseltuned
Old 11th January 2023, 21:09   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I commute to office by cycle about 2 days a week. This year the summer seems to be really cruel.
By 2017, the number of days went to 1.
By 2019, went to almost 0.
By 2022, fully 0.

The reason was the increasing traffic and the speed breakers that came on this route.

From 40 mins to work, the time became 1:10 of exhausting traffic.

Which is why I am so excited about this new dedicated cycle tracking coming up on my route.

It starts about 2 kms from my home and will give me 10 kms of protected space.
The Travails of a Cyclist in Indian Cities-c1.jpg

The Travails of a Cyclist in Indian Cities-c2.jpg
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 21:51   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Which is why I am so excited about this new dedicated cycle tracking coming up on my route.
This is beautiful! Kudos to the planners for implementing this. This is how a bike lane should be, not just a painted line on the road.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 23:52   #119
BHPian

Every day I sneak on Scolarian and Fuji websites aching n dreaming about owning their single speed bikes.
Urban Mumbai has become hyper congested and a nightmare for even walking forget about a fast ride. It is unsafe and stressful to ride a fast road bike. The hundreds of redevelopments and urban infra work has made cycling impossible.
Yet every day I hope for a miracle to happen to Mumbai and cycling to become fun, safe and exciting again….

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks