Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2006, 13:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Roll on figures for Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI?

I tried searching for this information, but couldn't get it on T-BHP. What are roll on figures for Octy 1.9 TDI? If you are wondering why am I asking this question, please read on.

I encountered a nice red Octy on Karad-Satara stretch yesterday. In my ownership of Petra since last 1.1 year, this is the *first* time I had to push my car to pull away. No, I don't mess with Accords or Mondeos, though have successfully flirted with Elantras/CR-Vs quite a few times. On highways, I mostly drive in 5th gear and cruise along at ~110. If and when required, I push bit harder on gas to overtake at 130-140 in 5th. In nutshell, I am not used to downshifting to overtake.

So, I met this Octy at toll booth and let him pass. While it was moving ahead, my father was showing "that nice red car" to my daughter and casually asked me what car is that. I knew it was 1.9 TDI, but wanted to double check it, so I thought of catching it, so pushed on gas, but hey, it was pulling away rapidly. I had hit the pedal completely and still it was moving away. I was surprised and started wondering if that was 1.8 TurboPetrol. I downshifted to 4, but it still kept moving away, so to my own surprise, I downshifted further to 3rd. The engine roared and my car now started catching it rapidly. Being sedate driver, my car never was redlined earlier, though was revved hard a few times. I now contently shifted to 4th and pulled even closer, engine RPM somewhere between in 4-6K. Finally, caught up and overtook that "nice red" Octy comfortably(?).

But, I was amazed at the way that "90bhp and heavier" car accelerated. I never found elantras that quick though they are much more powerful. (May be the elantras were not driven that hard). Whatever the case may be, I have a new found respect for Skoda Octavia.

So back to the question: What are roll-on figure for Octavia? Being a diesel, does it produce huge torque in 60-140 kmph range?
Old 6th March 2006, 13:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Source: ACI

Speed / Gears 2nd / 3rd / 4th / 5th
20-40: 2.6sec / 5.6sec/ - / -
40-60: 2.4 / 3.4 / 10.5 / 7.7
60-80: - / 3.9 / 7.5 / 7.7
80-100: - / 4.3 / 7.3 / 7.0

20-80 (3rd gear): 12.9 sec
40-100 (4th gear): 25.3 sec
Old 6th March 2006, 13:38   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

RX,

When me and Robin had some drags (Vtec vs Octavia TDi), the Vtec was hardly ahead by a car length. In the roll-on, there was no competition. The TDi is fast enough to shame a couple of petrols, no doubt.

However, it could also be the 1.8 Turbo. But then, the red colour was never available in the rider and I am sure you could easily tell an RS from a regular Octavia.

GTO
Old 6th March 2006, 14:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

GTO, you are right. When I caught him before overtaking, I did check that 1.9 TDI badge on its rear. Boy, that car sure has some torque.
Old 6th March 2006, 16:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have always maintained this. Skoda TDi has awesome torque.. been travelling in my friend's Octavia for about an year now, and the way it pulls, just thrilling!
Old 6th March 2006, 17:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
RX,
However, it could also be the 1.8 Turbo. But then, the red colour was never available in the rider and I am sure you could easily tell an RS from a regular Octavia. GTO
Red is available for the 1.9TDi Rider if i'm not misteken. Actually u get all the colours, but i think u might have to wait for a really long time for it.
Old 6th March 2006, 18:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Oh well. Nice situation you have put forward RX. I have never been in a situation like that. I have always blasted past Octys in 5th. Never have had to play catch up. Will be careful now.

P.S. For a moment, I thought you were replacing your car.
P.P.S. If I do, it will be an Octy in anycase.
Old 8th March 2006, 02:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
However, it could also be the 1.8 Turbo. But then, the red colour was never available in the rider GTO
Nowdays ,the red color is available only in two varients ,the rider and the RS .. Skoda India has stopped offering "corrida red" in any other varient and has launched a new color "flamingo red" ,which is totally different from the actual red ...

Yup, the 1.9 tdi does have fantastic initial accelaration and as GTO said ,it puts some petrol cars into shame .. Tht reminds me that i was amazed when i first drove it in 2002 and had to literally ask the driver to open the hood ,to believe/confirm f it was a diesel ...
Old 8th March 2006, 10:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
I encountered a nice red Octy on Karad-Satara stretch yesterday. In my ownership of Petra since last 1.1 year,
btw RX,

do u own a petra 1.6 or 1.2 ?

~A
Old 8th March 2006, 11:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

I own Petra 1.6. But why did you ask? I don't think Petra 1.2 can *ever* drag against an Octy. Simply no match!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks