Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2011, 15:23   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Anyone here fully or partially off-the-electric-grid?

Here are some other Team-BHP threads that might help you:

A greener home

Solar Water Heater

Alternative Power Sources
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 23:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
I emailed the guy appreciating him for putting all the information up on eBay and got a response with two attachments. The attachments make an interesting read and recount his frustrating experience with the Indian market and his current debt running his business.

There is a news article about him, too: http://asiancorrespondent.com/205/lu...plant-on-ebay/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf r&d - as on solar store website.pdf (122.1 KB, 750 views)
File Type: pdf General Public Letter.pdf (218.9 KB, 561 views)

Last edited by hellmet : 31st October 2011 at 23:49.
Old 1st November 2011, 13:39   #18
BHPian

I got to know that one of my friends is working in a power electronics company which designs inverters & stuff like that!

They have a solar power station in their product list! see the brochure!

According to my friend, the cost per watt of a hybrid system would be around Rs 100/- & that of a standalone system would be 1.5 times that!
Old 8th November 2011, 10:02   #19
BHPian

Hey Hellmet! Nice intent there.

Hope this is not too little too late.

Cost:
As mentioned earlier, 1 kW system should cost you @ 1.2 lac.

MNRE (Ministry of New and Renewable energy) has capped cost of 1 kW of power pack without battery backup at Rs 1.9 lac. MNRE provides subsidy to the extent of 30% of this benchmark cost. Availing this subsidy may not be easy. If you have "connections", it can be done faster.

There is also a provision of claiming accelerated depreciation (@80%); but since you are a residential user, I am not sure how much it holds true for you.

Output:
A typical 1kW power pack will give you not more than 4-4.5 kWh a day (on sunny days). Thus extending you payback.

Payback:
At Rs 6 per kWh and with a capital subsidy of 30%, your payback turns out to be 8.5 years. And this is w/o battery backup. As mentioned, unless you consume this during the day, your payback extends further (if you run w/o batteries).

If you opt for system with battery, you'll need a storage space either on the roof or in your apartment. If you opt to store batteries on the roof, you will need a room like structure (which may not be possible) and also be wary of the fact that with increasing temperatures, battery life comes down. Expect to replace batteries every 5-6 years. All this will add to your costs.

Ideally, with current costs, a metro is not a place to install these type of systems; unless you really really want to "go green".

Alternative:
There are smaller systems available. Refer attached file. SPV.pdf

Check with NEDCAP http://www.nedcap.gov.in/, they will be able to give you details of some suppliers.

Last edited by prateek99 : 8th November 2011 at 10:13.
Old 11th December 2012, 14:05   #20
BHPian

Reviving an old thread. Photovoltaic prices crashed over the last year and most of the PV manufactures in Germany and US went bankrupt. This is mainly due to large increase in PV production from China. Current PV prices are at 80 US cents for 1W.

Rough calculation for a 2kW PV system with storage-
PV 2kW -1600 USD
Hybrid inverter- 1200 USD
Storage-(150Ah x 48V)- 720USD
Total- 3520 USD (INR 193,600)
[FONT=&quot]So there is huge potential for solar home systems in the coming years.[/FONT]
Old 31st October 2016, 11:22   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

What type of LED bulbs can be used with such systems ? What is the 'base' design of these bulbs ?

I am looking to replace the current CFL bulbs with LED bulbs. Can I directly swap the CFL bulbs with LED bulbs ?
The PV lighting system is by SELCO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks