Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2006, 16:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

What to see in Kerala?

In a hastily planned affair, I'll be visiting Kerala with friends and family next week. I was/am pretty much tied up with work and was not certain till a day back if I would be joining others Fixed itinerary is given below:

Panvel - Trichur - Guruvaur - Kochin - Munnar - Kochin - Trivendrum - Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari - Trivendrum - Panvel.

So fellow T-BHPians, pour in your thoughts on what is to visited and what should be avoided. Any help will be appreciated!

P.S.: Everyone at home unanimously defeated my proposal to take the car. Now, I have to enjoy coastal beauty by peeping out of train windows. Another big

Last edited by RX135 : 8th March 2006 at 16:11.
Old 8th March 2006, 16:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

You forgot Waynad in the north. And if travelling by train, take the konkan route
Old 8th March 2006, 17:10   #3
BHPian

Going to Gods own country!! Trust me you will remember this trip.
Remember to take a nice camera with loads of memory, you will need it.

Well I suggest if you are going to Trichur(my native place) in April, visit Vadakkunnathan Temple, you can see Trissur Pooram (Very famous) also 30 elephants procession, worth watching.
Also have lots of coconut water , very cheap, every house has atlest 3-4 coconut trees.For adrenalin boost, travel by the local private bus, in front seat if possible, every driver thinks he is Michael Schumacher, and his bus as his ferrari. Believe you will remember all your GODS, if lucky you will also participate in a race, if your bus happens to be in a race with another pvt bus.(I hope you got my piont), If you are not travelling in a Pvt bus and if your vehicle sees another bus please let him pass, you wont regret later.Now Trissur / Trichur just like (Mumbai/Bombay) is a paradise for people who like gold, lots and lots of gold jewellery showrooms in every corner .]Last time visited my native place was 4 years back, Born and bought up in Mumbai.If I have missed any thing , Mallus in this forum will help.
ENJOY

Last edited by Aditya : 30th March 2006 at 22:04.
Old 8th March 2006, 18:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Like Majo says, DONT miss a drive on a private bus, preferably sitting somewhere in front (they're ladies seats, though!). Travel from Trichur to Guruvayur by bus, and when you go to the bus station wait till you get two buses leaving simultaneously.

Get into any one of the two (preferably the one behind), and have the ride of your life.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th March 2006 at 18:35.
Old 8th March 2006, 18:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

When in Guruvayur, visit this place (i don't remember the name) cuz there are arnd a 100 elephants there. If u've got kids they'll love it.

And as Steeroid said, u'll can also get a roller coaster ride if u want on a private bus from Trichur to Guruvayur. I've nver been on one, but they've got a pretty good reputation to set speed records.
Old 8th March 2006, 19:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

First, thanks a ton for your help! I'll keep these tips in mind.

Getting on private bus seems unlikely since private vehicle is booked already for local transport.
Old 8th March 2006, 20:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Boss; a cruise on a house boat a must at Alapuzha ( Its b/w Kochi and Trivandrum) . I think its 5k for 24hr including food. Psstt. Toddy

Would you be staying at Tvm? How abt a meet?

And carry an umberalla. donno when it would rain.
Old 8th March 2006, 20:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
When in Guruvayur, visit this place (i don't remember the name) cuz there are arnd a 100 elephants there. If u've got kids they'll love it.
Punnathoor Kotta...Definitely worth a visit.
Old 8th March 2006, 21:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Its festive at most temples and you would be able to see a lot of elephants piggy riding in trucks etc.

And its always easy to track the route an elephant took.

@ Kochi :Food at Avenue regent and Avenue centre are excellent
Old 8th March 2006, 21:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Getting on private bus seems unlikely since private vehicle is booked already for local transport.
Let the family go by the private transport. You take the bus - every true BHPian must do so...

If you want a houseboat, let me know.

Maybe we can finally have that Kerala Meet...with a guest!
Old 29th March 2006, 14:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sincere apologies to Steeroid, jkdas, MalluDude, karthik247, major for being an impolite guest, by not calling up and not attending Kerala T-BHP meet. Especially to Steeroid!

I was supposed to be carrying my laptop with all contacts, which was junked at the last moment for baggage, and the travel was pretty hectic, which didn't let me even check my mails from any cyber cafe :( Alright, I am not giving any excuses.

But, I loved Kerala all over. I was anticipating it to be something similar to Konkan (coastal Maharashtra). Well, it sure is, but only much greener and cleaner. People were nice and cooperating all over. And yes, I just loved the roads. Rarely saw any potholes or patches on the road. I wish, Pune has even half as good roads. Here, politicians give crap like "it rained a lot, digging up roads". Hell, they should go and check Kerala roads then.
Old 29th March 2006, 16:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sincere apologies to Steeroid, jkdas, MalluDude, karthik247, major for being an impolite guest, by not calling up and not attending Kerala T-BHP meet. Especially to Steeroid!
No issues, pal. Its difficult to find time to meet people when you're a tourist, especially if you're travelling with family - we quite understand.

Quote:
And yes, I just loved the roads. Rarely saw any potholes or patches on the road. I wish, Pune has even half as good roads. Here, politicians give crap like "it rained a lot, digging up roads". Hell, they should go and check Kerala roads then.
Thank the Surface Transport minister Mr. Muneer. He's done some wonderful things to our roads over the last five years, with bridges being completed in record time, all roads being rubberized and even secondary and tertiary roads having smooth surfaces normally associated with highways. He is one of the reasons I want the current government to continue - I hope Kerala breaks the tradition of voting out the front in power everytime.

I assume you didnt get a private bus experience, then? You've missed something, but come to Goa and I'll give you a similar experience with a minibus - my dicor.
Old 29th March 2006, 17:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I assume you didnt get a private bus experience, then?
I am very sure, I am missing something, but I found road manners of Kerala buses more civilised than than the Volvos/luxury buses and state transport buses plying on our roads here.

I forgot to mention one more thing. Neatly maintained cars. I hardly found any badly maintained off-color car on road. This is true especially for Northen Kerala (Trissur, Kochin/Ernakulam).
Old 30th March 2006, 20:16   #14

Don't forget to visit wayanaad. You can stay in calicut or kalpetta; one or two days would be adequate. Have a nice time.
Old 30th March 2006, 20:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your suggestion, cus70, but I am already back from Kerala. It will be on my itinerary of next Kerala trip though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks