Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 22:52   #1
BHPian

Cyrus Mistry to head Tata empire

Source Global search reportedly on to find successor for Ratan Tata — Autoblog

Article :

Three years ago the retirement age for Tata's holding company was upped to 75. Although Ratan Tata is only 71, there is no obvious successor to take his place at the head of India's global conglomerate, so the search has begun for the leader of the next act.

Whoever that person is will take the conductor's baton and guide an orchestra of 98 companies and 357,000 workers. He or she will also need to deal with the twin anchors of Jaguar-Land Rover debt and Corus Steel debt, both of which were brought on by economic freefall after top-of-the-market acquisitions.

At this point it looks like the CEO spot will be taken by someone outside the Tata family for only the second time in the history of the company. And while Ratan Tata has said "It would certainly be easier if [my successor] were an Indian national," he is open to filling the position with a foreigner. The company has three years to conclude, with Tata expected to step down in 2012.

Last edited by NullRock : 1st December 2009 at 22:54.
Old 1st December 2009, 23:04   #2
BHPian

Few days back there was a news of a secret meeting between Ratan Tata and Carlos Ghosn of Renault-Nissan. Can we smell something here...
Remember, Ratan Tata is open to the idea of a Non-Indian successor for heading the Tata empire.
Old 2nd December 2009, 00:21   #3
BHPian

I would love to see an Indian becoming the successor instead of anybody else.
Old 2nd December 2009, 06:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

There was an article on the same issue in ET a few days back. The group is not averse to having a non-Indian to head the group. But I remember having read somewhere that Noel TATA was supposed to be the sucessor to Ratan Tata. Anybody knows what happened to that ?
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:25   #5
BANNED

Though it may not sound very realistic, I too would love it if an Indian suceeds Ratan Tata at his chair.

My next question may sound stupid but I was wondering, is the Tata Group not owned by Ratan Tata? I mean, it is usually somebody in the family who succeeds right? Like Mukesh and Anil after Dhirubhai?

I know I m ignorant about the Tata Group but it would be great if someone could enlighten me or show me the way towards the same. Thank You.
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
There was an article on the same issue in ET a few days back. The group is not averse to having a non-Indian to head the group. But I remember having read somewhere that Noel TATA was supposed to be the sucessor to Ratan Tata. Anybody knows what happened to that ?
That's right. Noel Tata is considered as a potential candidate and he was not declared as a successor for Ratan Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Though it may not sound very realistic, I too would love it if an Indian suceeds Ratan Tata at his chair.

My next question may sound stupid but I was wondering, is the Tata Group not owned by Ratan Tata? I mean, it is usually somebody in the family who succeeds right? Like Mukesh and Anil after Dhirubhai?

I know I m ignorant about the Tata Group but it would be great if someone could enlighten me or show me the way towards the same. Thank You.
While Ratan Tata also said that he would love to see an Indian at the helm, but when the group gets over 50% - 60% of their revenues from overseas, I see a great benefit of having someone from outside. This is my personal opinion, and I am sure that competent person would take over from Ratan.

Coming to the ownership, it is basically a trust that holds ownership in various group companies. And Tatas has always had this culture of having to earn the position rather than giving it to someone because they have the same last name.
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:48   #7
BHPian

Carlos Ghosn of Renault-Nissan. I am a fan of this man. I saw what he did with the Nissan GTR. I read somewhere that the reason that Ratan Tata said that the successor can be an anyone is because more the half the revenue of the Tata Group is now coming from abroad.
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:54   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Coming to the ownership, it is basically a trust that holds ownership in various group companies. And Tatas has always had this culture of having to earn the position rather than giving it to someone because they have the same last name.
So does that also mean that the Tatas do not have a majority stake in Tata Group? I mean, I m a bit confused here.

Are you saying that the Tata Group is a conglomeration of corporates led by any one corporate who is considered competitive enough to do so? Or is it a group of companies formed/acquired by JRD/Ratan Tata resulting in this group?
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Ratan Tata is one of the biggest shareholders but he owns a very small part of the conglomerate.There are not too many members of the Tata family alive. It's sad actually. One of the greatest families of India is on the verge of dying out.

Noel Tata is one of the people who was thought to be a potential successor, but it doesnt look likely now. See, with the Ambani, it was very clear. Dhirubhai had 2 sons who could take over. Ratan Tata in a bachelor.

family_tree.pdf

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 2nd December 2009 at 09:04.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullRock View Post
Source Global search reportedly on to find successor for Ratan Tata — Autoblog

At this point it looks like the CEO spot will be taken by someone outside the Tata family for only the second time in the history of the company. And while Ratan Tata has said "It would certainly be easier if [my successor] were an Indian national," he is open to filling the position with a foreigner. The company has three years to conclude, with Tata expected to step down in 2012.
Someone quick : How do I apply
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGolden View Post
Someone quick : How do I apply
Forget about how do I apply,

Tell me WHERE do I apply
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
Few days back there was a news of a secret meeting between Ratan Tata and Carlos Ghosn of Renault-Nissan. Can we smell something here...
Remember, Ratan Tata is open to the idea of a Non-Indian successor for heading the Tata empire.

That would be perfect man to head the TATA, and will give TATA much required Quality vision.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:51   #13
BHPian

Tata Sons

According to this website:

The shareholding pattern of Tata Sons does not seem to have changed much over the last few years. 51% stake in Tata Sons is held by two trusts, Sir Dorabji Tata and Sir Ratan Tata Trust. These trusts were created by sons of families of Jamsetji Tata, the founder of the Tata Group. Ratan Tata is believed to be a trustee in both trusts. Shapoorji Pallonji Group, one of the oldest construction companies in India, holds 18% stake in Tata Sons. Ratan Tata holds just 3,368 shares in his personal capacity, which is less than 1%.

Tata Sons: Shareholding Pattern
Total equity shares: 4,04,146 of Rs 1,000 each
Name of holder No. of shares
1.Shapoor Mistry 108
2.Sterling Investment Corp.
(Shapoorji Pallonji group) 40,319
3. Cyrus Investments
(Shapoorji Pallonji group) 33,925
4. Ratan Tata 3,368
5. Sir Dorabji Tata Trust 1,13,067
6. Sir Ratan Tata Trust 95,211
7. Tata Investment Corp 326
8. Sarvajanik Seva Trust 396
9. RD Tata Trust 8,838
10. Tata Social Welfare Trust 15,076
11. Tata Education Trust 15,075
12. JRD Tata Trust 16,200
13. Tata Power 5,673
14. Tata Tea 1,755
15. Indian Hotels 4,500
16. Tata Industries 2,295
17. Tata Chemicals 10,237
18. Kalimati Investment Company 12,375
19. Tata International Ltd 155
20. Tata Motors 12,375
21. Piloo Tata 487
22. Jimmy Tata 157
23. Farhad Choksey 157
24. Simone Tata 2,011
25. Noel Tata 2,055
26. Virendra Singh Chauhan (Chhota Udaipur) 1
27. MK Tata Trust 2,421
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So does that also mean that the Tatas do not have a majority stake in Tata Group? I mean, I m a bit confused here.

Are you saying that the Tata Group is a conglomeration of corporates led by any one corporate who is considered competitive enough to do so? Or is it a group of companies formed/acquired by JRD/Ratan Tata resulting in this group?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Ratan Tata is one of the biggest shareholders but he owns a very small part of the conglomerate.There are not too many members of the Tata family alive. It's sad actually. One of the greatest families of India is on the verge of dying out.

Noel Tata is one of the people who was thought to be a potential successor, but it doesnt look likely now. See, with the Ambani, it was very clear. Dhirubhai had 2 sons who could take over. Ratan Tata in a bachelor.

Attachment 237686
TATA Group has a complex shareholding arangement with no direct owners. TATA Sons (Tata Sons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which a trading company is the majority shareholder in the various TATA companies. 2/3rd of TATA Sons is owned by the various TATA trusts and the remaining is with Shapoor Paloonji & various members of the TATA family.
Old 2nd December 2009, 20:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
Forget about how do I apply,

Tell me WHERE do I apply
lol too late buddy.
Last date to apply closed and 1 million applications already recieved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks