Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 15:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

Sukhoi Su-30 MKI crashed in Pune

Just in, a Sukhoi Su-30 MKI crashed on the outskirts of Pune in Wade-Bholai village at 1:30 pm. The pilots ejected out safely. No casualties reported on the ground either.

The Sukhoi Su-30 forms the frontline of the Indian airforce. This is the third Su-30 crash since 1997.

More here:

Link.

The Sukhoi Su-30 has been my favorite jet. I had been seing this wing of the IAF do sorties from my office window everyday. Off late there had been increased number of combat practice that these Sukhoi's used to indulge in. It was a fun sight to see them do 1-1 combats in clear skies.

RIP!

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th December 2011 at 15:42.
Old 13th December 2011, 15:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Sukhoi Su-30 MKI crashed in Pune

that's not a good news .....don't want any if IAF aircraft to loose like this we need them badly in our present scenario. We do see high amount of sorties in Bangalore too with Jaguars,MIGs and LCAs.
Old 13th December 2011, 15:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Just in, a Sukhoi Su-30 MKI crashed on the outskirts of Pune in Wade-Bholai village at 1:30 pm. The pilots ejected out safely. No casualties reported on the ground either.

The Sukhoi Su-30 forms the frontline of the Indian airforce. This is the third Su-30 crash since 1997.

More here:

Link.

The Sukhoi Su-30 has been my favorite jet. I had been seing this wing of the IAF do sorties from my office window everyday. Off late there had been increased number of combat practice that these Sukhoi's used to indulge in. It was a fun sight to see them do 1-1 combats in clear skies.

RIP!
What RIP both pilots ejected, unless it was aimed at the machine. But wonder what caused the crash as this is a twin engine fly by wire aircraft. Technical snag is too broad a term.
Old 13th December 2011, 16:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The IAF supposedly has the dubious distinction of having the highest crash rate amongst all the air forces in the world [yes, even more than the PAF]. However, most of those crashes involve aging planes like the Mig-21. If those are excluded, then the crash rate comes down quite a bit. Another positive thing to note is that this rate is going down year on year. This article gives a different perspective on the rants of various arm chair analysts, media personalities about the crashes in the IAF: Indian Air Force :: Aircraft Accidents in Military Aviation

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 13th December 2011, 16:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

The MKI is my favourite fighter, and it is sad to hear about a beautiful beast destroyed in a crash. Thankfully the pilots ejected. Hope no humans or animals were hit when the plane fell.
Old 13th December 2011, 16:14   #6
BHPian

This is extremely sad news for our nation. The Su-30 is one awesome Fighter which is probably the most advanced one in our neighborhood and the pride of IAF.

I used to admire them up close during the Bangalore Airshow and that Cobra maneuvers they perform is truly hair raising stuff.

Glad that the pilots are safe. I'm sure that the IAF would be ordering a comprehensive enquiry to find the root cause. This is quite an expensive loss since at 30mn+ USD it is not cheap.
Old 13th December 2011, 16:37   #7
BHPian

Sachin Tendulkar is scheduled to fly in this very plane to get "Wings" on his Uniform. Sachin is Hon Group Captain in the IAF.
Old 13th December 2011, 17:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
It was a fun sight to see them do 1-1 combats in clear skies.
You're lucky to watch them. I'm yet to watch a dog-fight. Sad, I only see the take-offs and touch downs in this part of pune
Old 13th December 2011, 17:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Glad that the IAF pilots are safe.

But loss of the machine is very sad. I don't know much about fighters. But the Sukhoi is my favorite fighter. Partly because its the jewel of our fleet and party because the moves defies the laws of physics.

Sukhoi has left me with my mouth wide open in both the Aero India shows that I attended at Bangalore. The Yanks and the Europeans were no match for the various audacious stunts the Russian pulled off. I still recall the Cobra and the Hook. And the MKI looks so different and cool!

Hope this is a one off incident and the Sukhoi doesn't go the neglected MiG way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks