Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 14:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Is this a scam ? Or a plain mistake ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Just the last six digits (using basic maths and not logarithmic permutations) amounts to 9,99,999 calls.

This has got to be the most unpractical solution on earth. Tell me you are joking because I am dying to laugh.

Its a Joke!!

Nonetheless I'd like to clear out the math logic. It does not amount to 999999 calls. The situation or problem provided indicates that its a single digit error. So in the whole number only 1 digit can be wrong. Considering there are 10 digits to chose from and 1 belongs to his own number, we'd be left with 9 digits to check out for each place. Therefore we'd have 9X6=54 combinations to try.

Explanation only for maths fun!! The solution is highly impractical and sure must be a joke!!

No offense meant to anyone!!
rangakishen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 14:20   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

In any case, I have probably solved the mystery. Some simple questions to ask the internet and I know who Gregory Cahn is.

Here is a possible solution.

Gregory would probably be known as Greg. In the western world, you would only be called Gregory when you're in trouble with your Mom or if you're booking an official document.

Greg Cahn is the lead singer of an Indie rock band called Mind The Gap.
:: MIND THE GAP ::

Greg Cahn is gcahn on twitter and posted an update on twitter on 6th December saying
Quote:
packing for #srilanka & #india. i think i'm now ready. tomorrow I go. #lookingforgandhi
You can find him here Twitter

he looks like this

Is this a scam ? Or a plain mistake ?-greg.jpeg

On the official Mind The Gap fan page on Facebook here:
Mind the Gap - Wall | Facebook

Sarah Weston from Clemson University posted the following comment on this wall on the 7th of December
Quote:
lax...dubai...sri lanka...mumbai...goa...new delhi...agra...taj mahal. wishing you safe travels & expecting a brand new full album by the time you return!
Indie bands are not always loaded, it is hard to get air tickets for Goa during the holiday season and so they probably booked themselves on a bus to Goa.

Amazing, isn't it?

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 19th December 2011 at 14:22.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 14:40   #18
BHPian

Why don't you ask where the tickets are to be delivered to, if it's not too far, turn up and meet the Cahns...

He might be going for Sunburn!!

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 19th December 2011 at 14:42.
Sprucegoose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 16:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just the last six digits (using basic maths and not logarithmic permutations) amounts to 9,99,999 calls.

This has got to be the most unpractical solution on earth. Tell me you are joking because I am dying to laugh.
In my defence, I put that smiley in my previous post for that reason :-D.

(Damn. Deep within, I feel so stupid. I am ashamed to call myself an engineer)
Old 19th December 2011, 17:02   #20
Team-BHP Support

@ Normally Crazy. 'tis the season to be Jolly, so why don't you hop onto the bus and take a trip to Goa for the New Year and meet the Cahns.

I believe that there is a music festival in Goa (not Sunburn) where a lot of rock bands perform. He might be one of the band-members.

Quote:
In any case...

...so they probably booked themselves on a bus to Goa.

Amazing, isn't it?
Excellent. You literally decoded the entire scam in one post. Have you considered being a detective? *winks*

Gregory isn't going to be impressed when he finds his mug-shot in a thread with a title that has the word 'scam' in it *grins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
In my defence, I put that smiley in my previous post for that reason :-D.

(Damn. Deep within, I feel so stupid. I am ashamed to call myself an engineer)
Ah don't beat yourself up. It happens to the best of us, so don't worry about it! Take the bus to Goa with normally_crazy.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th December 2011 at 17:04.
Old 19th December 2011, 17:26   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a feeling NC stared this thread just so Sam could come up with that

Awesome stuff. We haven't had a laughathon thread on T-BHP in a while!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 17:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

*Eagerly clicks on Sam's profile-> Find all posts by Sam Kapasi*
Shucks...no new Sam's Chronicles. :(

On another note, one my TLs here gets SMS alerts for credit card purchases of some person. He is a frequent shopper and he gets atleast 2-3 messages per day. More on weekends. And a lot more when the chap is travelling, which we are assuming he frequently does from the places he swipes his card in. Complaining to citibank aint helping, because they say the complainant is to be the card holder itself.
Old 19th December 2011, 18:02   #23
F50
Senior - BHPian

Sam, stop promoting 2012 Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Gregory!

NC its just a bus no one can take away your window seat, roll on baby!
Old 19th December 2011, 19:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Could it be that your cellphone number is actually someone else's number in a different country? Maybe redbus guys forgot to add 00? Maybe Greg has a google voice number thats same as yours?
Old 20th December 2011, 08:59   #25
BHPian

On a lighter note, (and I do hope this shouldn't happen to anyone) this Greg might be a neighborhood thief who wants to break in to the house once he is sure that you are enjoying the vacation in Goa.
Old 20th December 2011, 13:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post

Its a Joke!!

Nonetheless I'd like to clear out the math logic. It does not amount to 999999 calls. The situation or problem provided indicates that its a single digit error. So in the whole number only 1 digit can be wrong. Considering there are 10 digits to chose from and 1 belongs to his own number, we'd be left with 9 digits to check out for each place. Therefore we'd have 9X6=54 combinations to try.

Explanation only for maths fun!! The solution is highly impractical and sure must be a joke!!

No offense meant to anyone!!
You are right! I just did the calculation! One needs to use permutation (or combination), because there can be only one number different from NC's phone number.

If I am in office, and if I have no work, I will try the 54 numbers (and make my employer pay for it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Ah don't beat yourself up. It happens to the best of us, so don't worry about it! Take the bus to Goa with normally_crazy.
No, I was right. Still, I don't mind going to Goa. But not by bus. I'll drive! After all, Goa is my second/third home (my fiancee is from Ponda ;-) ).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks