Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 22:28   #331
BHPian

Guys,

If any one has a Lab or a german shepherd for adoption/sale, I am interested in one. Kindly let me know at the earliest as it is for my daughter for her birthday which is in the month of Nov.

Regards,
Kailash
Old 17th September 2008, 22:35   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
@badboyscad: Beautiful pets and pictures. Your lab pup and the dane are simply splendid.

awww Juno is soooo cute...reminds me of my lab spikey when he was a kiddo..
Old 18th September 2008, 00:24   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
If any one has a Lab or a german shepherd for adoption/sale, I am interested in one.
Don't buy one from a market or from a breeder based on ad. I suggest you contact a good vet in the city.
Old 18th September 2008, 02:16   #334
aZa
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Totally agree. GSD's have a hind leg problem due to inbreeding and the ones with local pet shops usually have this problem. Pay extra for papers + pedigree this usually ensures the pup is healthy and legit.

Ajay bhai how are your pugs doing ? post some new pics

Last edited by aZa : 18th September 2008 at 02:18.
Old 18th September 2008, 02:34   #335
BHPian

I had a question, where can I find a Dogo Argentino, I've read up a bit on them and they are large guard dogs and thats I need. Any other large guard dog suggestions?

Dogo argentino (Argentine dogo, Argentinian mastiff, Argentine dog)
Old 18th September 2008, 13:02   #336
Senior - BHPian

@B&T which is the Dog in the last picture that you posted. The one with the turtle?
Old 18th September 2008, 16:05   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
@B&T which is the Dog in the last picture that you posted. The one with the turtle?
Its a black, male poodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Ajay bhai how are your pugs doing ? post some new pics
Perfectly well, aZa bhai. Except for the perennial, heavy-breathing trouble that these small fellows suffer from. Will post more pics soon. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan
I had a question, where can I find a Dogo Argentino, I've read up a bit on them and they are large guard dogs and thats I need. Any other large guard dog suggestions?
Argentina, I'm guessing.

Never seen one in Mumbai. Why dont you get a Dobe or Rottweiler instead? Easy on maintenance, and very intelligent as guard dogs and otherwise. Comfortable with our climate too.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 18th September 2008 at 16:14.
Old 18th September 2008, 17:54   #338
BHPian

Hi all,

I'm Shogun. These pics were taken when I was a pup.

Name:  Picture1.bmp
Views: 1121
Size:  215.8 KB Name:  Picture2.bmp
Views: 1123
Size:  216.5 KB Name:  Picture3.bmp
Views: 1161
Size:  216.7 KB

Name:  Picture4.bmp
Views: 1126
Size:  216.7 KB Name:  Picture5.bmp
Views: 1133
Size:  216.7 KB Name:  Picture6.bmp
Views: 1086
Size:  216.7 KB

Now I'm big and strong. But my dad still treats me like I'm a small pup. He says I've become much more cute. Someone please teach him how to handle grownups!!

Name:  trip_17.bmp
Views: 1111
Size:  208.6 KB
Old 18th September 2008, 19:27   #339
Senior - BHPian

^^^

Andy, thats such a sweet Lab. I'm sure you regret he grew up at all. The pup pics are too adorable.
Old 18th September 2008, 20:41   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Andy, thats such a sweet Lab. I'm sure you regret he grew up at all. The pup pics are too adorable.
I agree with you Ajay.

The pup looks so cute and innocent.

My family has had dogs as pets for decades. We had 2 GSD's (German Shepherd's) earlier. After the demise of the duo, we adopted a dog which was not comparable in breed to the GSD but was equally lovable, smart and intelligent.

She looked like the dog in the movie "The Mask". Not sure what breed that is, but she had black patches instead of brown. Had a black patch (like a pirate's) on her right eye and one on her back.

She was treated more like a baby. We pampered her with all the love and affection that she could more than handle.

She was treated to chicken from places like 5 star hotels, KFC, etc. She was smart and very intelligent. Used to wait up for me to return from my outings on weekends expecting a treat from KFC or the likes. I did my best to not disappoint her. And when I did, she used to sulk and being a relatively small dog, she used to run away when we tried to carry her. This was her way of showing that she was upset.

She had a nice trot and used to get a lot of "so cute" compliments from kids and older folks. And she used to turn around and wonder why, if such a compliment was missing from a passerby during her walks.

She was healthy all though her life. In August, she developed stiff muscles and used to find it hard to walk. I went to Blore during the last week of Aug only to see her for the last time. She had lost all her weight and appetite. Used to hardly eat and her muscles in her legs developed atropy and paralysis. For the 3 days I was in Blore, she was standing for over 22 hours as she could not sit and if she did manage to, it was a painful howl while trying to stand up. She was over 13 years old.

We did all we could to save her. Her organs were failing and the steroids only gave her momentary strength. Once the effect of the medication drained off, it was harrowing. She was lying down for the entire day and night, howling and yelping, had to be carried from place to place, could not even turn her head. Her eyes were the only thing which told us she was in pain.

I feel sad. But we decided to put an end to her misery (as per the vet's advice). Her suffering was only prolonged by the medication and death was only delayed without easing the pain away.

On Aug 31, Dad took her to CUPA and she was put to eternal sleep. The entire month of Aug was a painful month. Looking at her suffer was most difficult for my parents. I can imagine how hard it must have been for them, as the 3 days that I spent in Blore was most painful for me.

We have decided to not have any more pets. Pets add a lot of joy and relieve stress and teach us so many things like being caring etc. But the days when they are sick and when they cant express the pain is most harrowing. I guess she was treated the best among all the pets we ever had, as she was the last pet we would have. I miss her so much. My way of mourning the loss, is giving up her favorite food (non veg) for at least a month or longer. This might sound funny to some, but i guess the dog lovers will not find this in any way funny or strange. I dont have her pics at the moment. Will post them up over the weekend.

RIP Tootie. We miss you.

Sorry for the long post guys.

Last edited by n_aditya : 18th September 2008 at 20:42.
Old 18th September 2008, 23:33   #341
BHPian

true pet lovers dont opt to keep pets..

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I agree with you Ajay.

The pup looks so cute and innocent.

My family has had dogs as pets for decades. We had 2 GSD's (German Shepherd's) earlier. After the demise of the duo, we adopted a dog which was not comparable in breed to the GSD but was equally lovable, smart and intelligent.

She looked like the dog in the movie "The Mask". Not sure what breed that is, but she had black patches instead of brown. Had a black patch (like a pirate's) on her right eye and one on her back.

She was treated more like a baby. We pampered her with all the love and affection that she could more than handle.

She was treated to chicken from places like 5 star hotels, KFC, etc. She was smart and very intelligent. Used to wait up for me to return from my outings on weekends expecting a treat from KFC or the likes. I did my best to not disappoint her. And when I did, she used to sulk and being a relatively small dog, she used to run away when we tried to carry her. This was her way of showing that she was upset.

She had a nice trot and used to get a lot of "so cute" compliments from kids and older folks. And she used to turn around and wonder why, if such a compliment was missing from a passerby during her walks.

She was healthy all though her life. In August, she developed stiff muscles and used to find it hard to walk. I went to Blore during the last week of Aug only to see her for the last time. She had lost all her weight and appetite. Used to hardly eat and her muscles in her legs developed atropy and paralysis. For the 3 days I was in Blore, she was standing for over 22 hours as she could not sit and if she did manage to, it was a painful howl while trying to stand up. She was over 13 years old.

We did all we could to save her. Her organs were failing and the steroids only gave her momentary strength. Once the effect of the medication drained off, it was harrowing. She was lying down for the entire day and night, howling and yelping, had to be carried from place to place, could not even turn her head. Her eyes were the only thing which told us she was in pain.

I feel sad. But we decided to put an end to her misery (as per the vet's advice). Her suffering was only prolonged by the medication and death was only delayed without easing the pain away.

On Aug 31, Dad took her to CUPA and she was put to eternal sleep. The entire month of Aug was a painful month. Looking at her suffer was most difficult for my parents. I can imagine how hard it must have been for them, as the 3 days that I spent in Blore was most painful for me.

We have decided to not have any more pets. Pets add a lot of joy and relieve stress and teach us so many things like being caring etc. But the days when they are sick and when they cant express the pain is most harrowing. I guess she was treated the best among all the pets we ever had, as she was the last pet we would have. I miss her so much. My way of mourning the loss, is giving up her favorite food (non veg) for at least a month or longer. This might sound funny to some, but i guess the dog lovers will not find this in any way funny or strange. I dont have her pics at the moment. Will post them up over the weekend.

RIP Tootie. We miss you.

Sorry for the long post guys.
that was a very emotional post man..I can relate to it even though it was a long post as me and my family has also gone thru that phase in our lives and in the best int of everyone vowed not to keep pets anymore..so sorry to hear about Tootie..RIP Tootie..
Old 19th September 2008, 09:38   #342
BANNED

Hi Guys,

A bit OT but if any of you guys know anyone or have a Labrador pup to give away or for sale let me know I may be interested.

My son is after me to buy him a dog and have finally thought to gift him one on his 4th birthday due in December.

Any help or pointers in this regards would be helpful.

Viper
Old 19th September 2008, 13:00   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

We have decided to not have any more pets. Pets add a lot of joy and relieve stress and teach us so many things like being caring etc. But the days when they are sick and when they cant express the pain is most harrowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRyder View Post

in the best int of everyone vowed not to keep pets anymore.

Hi Aditya and RuffRyder,

Firstly please accept my condolences on the demise of Tootie.

I myself lost my 1 yr old Tyson (Black Labrador) to Parvovirosis (a contagious infection) last year. I can totally relate to the grief, despair and helplessness one feels when one loses a beloved pet. Initially I too felt like you guys that to protect ourselves from this emotional drain, the best way was to have no more pets.

But on deeper introspection, I thought that if all the pet lovers started thinking on the same lines, then our present day pets will have no loving homes to go to and their lives will be still more miserable.

I agree that by just having a newer pet can never replace the earlier pet and it will take a lot more time for it to eke out a place in our hearts for them. When you see them doing some antics which reminds you of your earlier pet, it brings back sweet memories of the good times you had with your earlier pet and what better way to honour the earlier pet who spent his entire life trying to make your life a lot better. Instead of shunting out memories of our earlier pets, I think we should relive the good memories. If you stop having any more pets, you are depriving yourself and the pet of the loads and loads of love and affection which you are capable of giving and believe me guys, they deserve and are worth every penny of it.

All living beings have to go one day, be it you, me or our pets for that matter. It's the circle of life and life goes on.

In my case, after Tyson's demise, my wife and I had forgotten how to smile till the time Shogun came into our lives. Shogun has brought back the joy and bliss back and nowadays everday is a riot of joy and fun.

Just my two cents on this issue and totally my personal view. No offence to anyone meant.

Some pics of my beloved Tyson

Name:  tys_1.png
Views: 1058
Size:  205.9 KB Name:  tys_2.png
Views: 1055
Size:  305.5 KB

Name:  tys_3.png
Views: 1040
Size:  381.3 KB Name:  tys_4.png
Views: 1037
Size:  317.1 KB
Old 10th October 2008, 20:21   #344
BHPian

Hi Guys. I finally got a female Saint Bernard puppy and have named her "TEQUILA". Will post the pics soon. Need to know if anybody in the forum owns a Saint Bernard and their experience with the dog. Like feeding habits of the pup etc.

Your experiences will help me a lot.
Old 11th October 2008, 00:52   #345
aZa
Senior - BHPian

wow torque congrats Saint bernards are beautiful. Contact Khaadu he has a saint bernard

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks