Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2008, 09:44   #361
BHPian

Here are the snaps of out pet Goofy. He is 8 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc07882.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc07888.jpg  

Old 17th October 2008, 09:45   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,
My old dog Zack passed away shortly after I uploaded his picture here.
However, we have gotten a new bundle of joy:
Pepper who is a German Shepard.
Below are his pictures, from a puppy to what he is now - a bigger puppy!

When we saw him for the first time
Team-BHPians and their Pets-17062007-modified.jpg

When he came home - 2 months with his favorite chew.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0048.jpg

That's him with his brother Brandy who is now with my sister.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-pepper-brandy.jpg

Pretty Tech Savvy eh?
Team-BHPians and their Pets-pepper-my-phone.jpg

When his ears started to stand
Team-BHPians and their Pets-pepper-ritis-cam.jpg

5 months
Team-BHPians and their Pets-pepper-5-months.jpg

On my bed:
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00365.jpg

In the room. I love and miss him (I stay half way around the world from him for 2/3 a year)
Name:  DSC00368.JPG
Views: 1361
Size:  181.2 KB

He is around one and a half years old today.

Last edited by lamborghini : 17th October 2008 at 09:48.
Old 17th October 2008, 11:59   #363
Senior - BHPian

Labrador retriever up for adoption!

Guys, if anyone is interested in adopting a male black Labrador Retriever which is 2 years and 4 months old, very friendly, loving and adorable please PM me. We bought him when he was about 2 months old in August 2006. Later our housing society underwent reconstruction and our building of 4 floors got demolished and a 16 storey tower was constructed in front of it. We shifted to the tower 2 months back and are living on it's 10th floor. We are not allowed to use the lift along with the dog and hence we are forced to go up and down the stairs whenever we have to take him down for walks and walking 10 floors up and down is a difficult task for us.
Hence we have no other option but to put him up for adoption. So if anyone is interested please PM me.
Old 17th October 2008, 12:11   #364
Team-BHP Support

Don't you have a service lift?
In my building, doggies are to be taken up and down either by stairs or the service lift. The three families with dogs (my family included) follow this rule.
Giving a dog away to a loving family sounds alright, but, many dogs, especially those who are very attached to their families, do not take such an action too well.
Old 17th October 2008, 13:06   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Guys, if anyone is interested in adopting a male black Labrador Retriever which is 2 years and 4 months old, very friendly, loving and adorable please PM me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Don't you have a service lift?
Giving a dog away to a loving family sounds alright, but, many dogs, especially those who are very attached to their families, do not take such an action too well.
I would love to have your dog but .. I have the same concerns as Aditya.

He's grown up with your fam and dogs are also have emotions.. I'm sure he cant stay away from you guys for long
Old 21st October 2008, 14:23   #366
BHPian

Guys I need some advice on getting a guard dog.

Here is the deal we have a farmhouse and factory in Gujarat and am looking for a couple of guard dogs, looking for a large and strong dog.

We already have 2 dogs there, they are cross between a doberman and the street dog, although they are very loving and lovable we need some dogs that can actually do some damage to intruders and not just play all day long.

What are some good suggestions for guard dogs that are available easily? I am looking to buy from a breeder.

Will these new puppies be able to co exist with our current dogs?

Please advise.
Old 21st October 2008, 14:35   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

@spawnofsatan
best bet would be a german shepherd. But you need to train them to be like a guard dog. Hire a trainer for that. They need to recognize who the alpha male is (you in this case) and only listen to their command.

If you keep petting and fussing over them, they won't serve your purpose.
Old 21st October 2008, 14:37   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
@spawnofsatan
best bet would be a german shepherd. But you need to train them to be like a guard dog. Hire a trainer for that. They need to recognize who the alpha male is (you in this case) and only listen to their command.

If you keep petting and fussing over them, they won't serve your purpose.
Tejas, thanks for your input,

How about Doberman pinschers? any other suggestions?
Old 21st October 2008, 14:41   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Tejas, thanks for your input,

How about Doberman pinschers? any other suggestions?
Doberman's are good too i guess. My friend has four german shepherds in his factory and i had asked him the same question. He said that his trainer had advised him to go for the german shepherds as they are more obedient.

rottweilers are the best but they need to be handled and trained very well and with a firm strict hand or they could turn on you as well

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 21st October 2008 at 14:43.
Old 21st October 2008, 14:42   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
we need some dogs that can actually do some damage to intruders and not just play all day long.
A few points on this potentially dangerous subject -
A. Please remember that you can get into trouble for what your dog does to intruders. Even if the intruder steals something you or your dog is not supposed to take law into your hand and do anything to him/her.
B. That said, please remember even the best guard dogs will need to be properly trained to guard a property. Obviously all dogs are protective about the place where they live and will "guard" it instinctively but they will need to be trained to guard professionally.
C. The females traditionally are easier to train than the males.
D. Some of the easy to procure and easy to train guard dogs are dobermann and GSD. A potentially more lethal guard dog is Rottweiler.
E. If I was planning to get a guard dog I would get a labrador or golden retriever or GSD and train it to just scare off intruders and play with me the rest of the time.
F. Buy any of the above breeds from a reputable breeder as all of them are prone to have hip dysplesia if not bred responsibly.
G. Any dog can kill a human being. A rottweiler and a dobe can do it with much less provocation and much more easily.
H. Get a good trainer. A very good trainer if he is training a dobe or a rotty.
Old 21st October 2008, 14:44   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I need some advice on getting a guard dog.

Here is the deal we have a farmhouse and factory in Gujarat and am looking for a couple of guard dogs, looking for a large and strong dog.

We already have 2 dogs there, they are cross between a doberman and the street dog, although they are very loving and lovable we need some dogs that can actually do some damage to intruders and not just play all day long.

What are some good suggestions for guard dogs that are available easily? I am looking to buy from a breeder.

Will these new puppies be able to co exist with our current dogs?

Please advise.
I would suggest either Dobermann or Rottweiler
@Sudipto:IMO,I am not sure if a Retreiver could double up as a guard dog.They are very very friendly by nature and tend to get along with people very well.I have a lab and when someone new comes home,it tries to go and be friendly with them.But people get scared due to its size.

Last edited by jraj : 21st October 2008 at 14:47. Reason: more info
Old 21st October 2008, 15:05   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
I have a lab and when someone new comes home,it tries to go and be friendly with them.But people get scared due to its size.
yes. That's what a friendly golden retriever would do too. Most thieves wouldn't understand that the dog wants to play with him and would faint when the dog puts its front legs on the shoulders and starts breathing fast with the tongue out and the tail wagging.
But frankly speaking a GR can also be trained to kill.
All novices who are reading this: please be responsible with your dog.
Old 21st October 2008, 23:42   #373
BHPian

@Tejas, Sudipto and Raj - Thanks for your input guys.

I am not trying to get my dogs to kill anyone, we have a foundry there and a mango orchard, sothe villagers always want to steal mangoes and they steal a LOT, also there have been instances where people have broken into the factory and stolen valuable scrap metal. Apart from beefing up the regular security to professional guards we need professional guard dogs. We are all animal lovers and the dogs will be treated as family as are the other two right now.

I thought about rottweilers and pitbulls but they are a bit too ferocious and wanted to pass on that. GSD and Dobe's sound like a good idea.Is it possible to train them as guard dogs and play with them as family dogs too?

Will they get along with the 2 adults we already have?

PS: we just need the dogs to be able to scare the cr*p out of intruders.

Last edited by spawnofsatan : 21st October 2008 at 23:43.
Old 22nd October 2008, 03:09   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Red Setter:

Warning: Danger of Being Licked to Death!
Old 22nd October 2008, 05:27   #375
BHPian

Quote:
@Tejas, Sudipto and Raj - Thanks for your input guys.

I am not trying to get my dogs to kill anyone, we have a foundry there and a mango orchard, sothe villagers always want to steal mangoes and they steal a LOT, also there have been instances where people have broken into the factory and stolen valuable scrap metal. Apart from beefing up the regular security to professional guards we need professional guard dogs. We are all animal lovers and the dogs will be treated as family as are the other two right now.

I thought about rottweilers and pitbulls but they are a bit too ferocious and wanted to pass on that. GSD and Dobe's sound like a good idea.Is it possible to train them as guard dogs and play with them as family dogs too?

Will they get along with the 2 adults we already have?

PS: we just need the dogs to be able to scare the cr*p out of intruders.
I do agree that both are ferocious but if trained well they would turn out to be real good guard dogs.The rotty can scare people merely by his looks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks