Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 12:33   #1501
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

dont worry this is normal

dogs like to play rough. the GSDs are 1.6 years of age are not yet out of puppyhood themselves!

when the little mastiff grows a bit bigger he will give it right back to them and they will let him alone. if you try and control them too much you will have the opposite effect to what you are trying to achieve in terms of keeping them away.

hence play with them all - give them all equal attention so that they all feel secure and loved. and when the GSDs behave particularly naughtily with the mastiff you must gently chide them and scold them, while saying NO in a calm, firm voice. If need be just as they are about to get aggro, you should hold them firmly by the muzzle and gently shake their heads from side to side while saying NO all the time - the GSDs will quickly get the picture.

Best way is to teach them with love and patience. no substitute for that!
and GSD's being amongst the most intelligent breeds of canines on God's earth, will understand exactly what you mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Hi Guys,

I got a 4 month old Mastiff at home. Can anyone suggest me how to keep my 2 GSDs not to be jealous of the new puppy?

Both of them do not let the puppy play. whenever the puppy is active and wants to run away, both of them catch him with mouth and pin him down. The puppy gives a good fight back but one of my GSD is too hard on him. He catches his ears too hard to bear and the puppy starts crying. It is very well noticeable that the GSDs are not liking the new one,

I am really scared letting them alone and always make sure I am wherever the puppy goes so that the GSDs do not harm him.

All 3 are males. GSDs are 1.6 years and Mastiff is 4 months old. I have never trained either of them. Any suggestions on how to keep all of them happy?
Old 27th August 2010, 12:38   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All 3 are males. GSDs are 1.6 years and Mastiff is 4 months old. I have never trained either of them. Any suggestions on how to keep all of them happy?
Get yourself a good light wieght cage for the puppy or some safe room where the others cannot access, try to socialize him with the GSD's in your presence only and give equalt attention to gsd as well along with the mastiff, things should improve with the time.
Old 27th August 2010, 12:48   #1503
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

actually this method could cause more chaos on account of the fact that it will take longer for the GSD's to get used to the pup.
would suggest the method earlier outlined in my post - based purely on experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Get yourself a good light wieght cage for the puppy or some safe room where the others cannot access, try to socialize him with the GSD's in your presence only and give equalt attention to gsd as well along with the mastiff, things should improve with the time.
Old 27th August 2010, 13:16   #1504
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

i would like to introduce my pets here, one is Labrador he is 2 years old named Johnny and another one is unknown breed he is 10 years old named Rocky. both are very good friends. rocky is very clever and he can understand our moods and 3 languages.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_31041.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_31081.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_34161.jpg  

Old 27th August 2010, 13:33   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
i would like to introduce my pets here, one is Labrador he is 2 years old named Johnny and another one is unknown breed he is 10 years old named Rocky. both are very good friends. rocky is very clever and he can understand our moods and 3 languages.
Great photographs, Karthik, and the dogs are fantastic.
Old 27th August 2010, 13:51   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
dont worry this is normal

dogs like to play rough. the GSDs are 1.6 years of age are not yet out of puppyhood themselves!

when the little mastiff grows a bit bigger he will give it right back to them and they will let him alone. if you try and control them too much you will have the opposite effect to what you are trying to achieve in terms of keeping them away.

hence play with them all - give them all equal attention so that they all feel secure and loved. and when the GSDs behave particularly naughtily with the mastiff you must gently chide them and scold them, while saying NO in a calm, firm voice. If need be just as they are about to get aggro, you should hold them firmly by the muzzle and gently shake their heads from side to side while saying NO all the time - the GSDs will quickly get the picture.

Best way is to teach them with love and patience. no substitute for that!
and GSD's being amongst the most intelligent breeds of canines on God's earth, will understand exactly what you mean!
Thanks. I was trying the same as you suggested but one of the GSD is getting over hyper. Most of the times he listens to me but sometimes he get so over hyper that I hardly get time to react and he attacks the puppy. This is when the puppy irritates him a lot.

The puppy understands that he will get nicely if he does more so goes and sits in a corner for like 2 seconds and then back to action.

Quote:
Actually I did not want to do this, since it will take more time for them to get along and I don't want the puppy to be hurt in my absence. You know power of GSDs, they can break open doors if they want. I never ever chain or cage any of my pets. Now if I do it, they will go wild. Once while cleaning he house I chained them with a really think chain bought from central worth 400 bucks. They broke it in less than 15 mins without even a sign or irritation.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:18   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once while cleaning he house I chained them with a really think chain bought from central worth 400 bucks. They broke it in less than 15 mins without even a sign or irritation.
This is the result of improper socializing, you must have chained them in early age for even few minutes or an hour to make them learn, atleast do the same with the mastiff, this way he will learn to be in the chain and will not break it, i did the same with my rottweiler, as you must be knowing that they are powerful breed and yet he never breaks any chain and not even tries to.

i will share one example of socializing with you, in a zoo you must have seen elephants chained to a pillar or something, the elephant is the strongest mammal and yet tied to such a small pillar or log which he can broke in seconds, still he used to sit there, tied to it, this is because at his younger age the trainer ties him to the chain which he cannot break, he tries to break it but the chain is stronger at the time, this makes a image in his mind that he cannot break it and this feeling instilled in him carries on forever.

So Its a Mind Game only.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:41   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
This is the result of improper socializing, you must have chained them in early age for even few minutes or an hour to make them learn, atleast do the same with the mastiff, this way he will learn to be in the chain and will not break it, i did the same with my rottweiler, as you must be knowing that they are powerful breed and yet he never breaks any chain and not even tries to.

i will share one example of socializing with you, in a zoo you must have seen elephants chained to a pillar or something, the elephant is the strongest mammal and yet tied to such a small pillar or log which he can broke in seconds, still he used to sit there, tied to it, this is because at his younger age the trainer ties him to the chain which he cannot break, he tries to break it but the chain is stronger at the time, this makes a image in his mind that he cannot break it and this feeling instilled in him carries on forever.

So Its a Mind Game only.
Yeah it's true. But why do I have to make him habituated of being chained when I am never gonna chain him?

The elephant example really makes sense but I would not ever chain my Mastiff also. I like to keep them the way they want to, it is more of their home than mine. I have never tried to train them in any sense still they do not disturb guests. They give them a warm welcome and then sit beside them near the Sofa. When they want to play, they go to the terrace.

Will put pictures tomorrow or Sunday so you guys have an idea how kind they are
Old 27th August 2010, 17:22   #1509
BHPian

@karthik1100. Rocky looks like gabbar singh of Dogs. Looks like he is planning some thing or has already done that. Nice photo
Old 27th August 2010, 18:06   #1510
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@modthomas & vamsi. both of them are very good dogs, Rocky acts like professional model in front of camera. he gives good pose every time. if it is allowed i'll post some more photos of them.
Old 27th August 2010, 19:57   #1511
BHPian

of course it is allowed. Actually for quite some time the photos have become lesser. So you are most welcome.
Old 27th August 2010, 23:57   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if its ok to post this as she is not my pet. Shes my cousin's(not a bhpian) pet. Thought few people may be interested to see her,a rare breed in our country. A sweetheart she is!!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-casey.jpg  

Old 28th August 2010, 01:37   #1513
Distinguished - BHPian

Great dog! She obviously owns that chair, and makes it look small too
Old 28th August 2010, 08:35   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah it's true. But why do I have to make him habituated of being chained when I am never gonna chain him?
You took me wrong, i am not saying to chain them always, even my rottweiler never gets chained, mine idea is that they should be having an idea of getting chained as well, earlier i used to chain him for only 30 - 60 minutes a day and now he roams freely
Old 28th August 2010, 11:29   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Not sure if its ok to post this as she is not my pet. Shes my cousin's(not a bhpian) pet. Thought few people may be interested to see her,a rare breed in our country. A sweetheart she is!!
She seems like a giant stuff toy

Feels like cuddling her right now.What breed is that?

Most Viewed