Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2004, 23:10   #1

was havin a discussion with me friend about how the govt has waived homolmogation etc and how that allows ppl with the required wallet depth to get nearly any car they want and how that means that powerful cars will hit our roads..
neways his view is that this isnt necessarily a good thing coz the last thing we need is faster cars n higher speed=more danger etc etc...
got me thinkin that if u have the money to import a 20k$ car does that automatically make u a good driver???..never seen an S cut lanes n all but still..
views needed
Old 16th May 2004, 23:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

what makes a good driver is common sense and a little bit of logic. a bad driver doesnt need a powerful car to endanger people or himself. the bike riders create havoc amongst many other ignorant drivers on the road. his is no reason to stop imports of powerful cars. if you have the money , why not? would also help car enthusiasts to drool over machines otherwise only seen in magazines. how many teamBHPians have their heart beats raised everytime we see the 360 Spyder on the roads amongst others.

ps: my 200TH post!
Old 17th May 2004, 08:44   #3
BHPian

Yes 'ported_head' You're spot on.
I know the 800 BHP + Supra and the Near 1500 BHP Skyline is Insane in India, BUT NOT UNSAFE!
Ofcourse it can be, but not necessarily, is..
Old 17th May 2004, 11:46   #4
BHPian

I think this problem existed even before the govt allowed in more powerful cars. So many of us have learnt driving only in fiats and maruti 800s and only in very recent years in maruti 1000's and santros.
People here have been using cars having less than 50 bhp for so many years now. All of us a sudden, the market has been flooded with cars having abundance of power for our traffic conditions.

So just imagine, what happens to a person who has been used to a zen with 50 bhp graduating to a honda with 100bhp. Isnt he overwhelmed by all that power coming in so quickly. After being sedated on years of driving in slow cars, how much more sooner should his reaction time quicken when he gets behind the wheel of a modern car.
Old 17th May 2004, 12:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

They say a lot of early honda city's were trashed due to inexperience of his high bhp/ton ratio
Old 17th May 2004, 15:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

I think this is a ridiculus topic! Even the poorest of poor in a broken down 118NE can be a dangerous driver, even if he doesn't drive above 30Kmph. Being rich or poor or driving the fastest or the slowest car in the world doesn't make any difference! You forget that a car made to go fast is also safer in that its tyres, suspension etc. are designed for those speeds. The only problem I see, and have noticed atleast when driving on the highways and going through villages, is that the pedestrians are not used to the speed at which the car is apporaching, as they are used to much slower vehicals. Hence, they tkae their own sweet time crossing roads, and then at the last minute realise that the car is upon them!

As they say, guns don't kill people, people kill people!
Old 17th May 2004, 15:20   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I think this is a ridiculus topic!
Exactly my thoughts, Rtech

GTO
Old 17th May 2004, 15:35   #8

dont know what is so ridiculous bout the topic but whatever..i just wanna noe whether being allowed to import faster and more powerful cars a good thing alone??
Old 17th May 2004, 16:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (souled @ May 17 2004,14:05)]dont know what is so ridiculous bout the topic but whatever..i just wanna noe whether being allowed to import faster and more powerful cars a good thing alone??
Hey dude, I didn't mean to be rude! Nothing on you personally man.

But, to answer your question, I think its great that they allow imports of expensive luxury and sports cars.
Old 20th May 2004, 17:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

I don't think you need a fast car to be dangerous. A person can be a danger even in a M800. The car really doesn't make a difference.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 22nd May 2004, 11:37   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]..never seen an S cut lanes n all but still..
Well the only vague connection i can make between "RICH" and "good driver" is the fact that there is a higher possibility (notice i dont say likelyhood) of the driver being a little more educated in the ways of the road and the importance of following rules. Possibly the best reason for this would be having travelled to other countries where they can see first hand how traffic can and should work and follow the rules without causing much problems.
However, in no way does this mean that people who arent rich have a harder time understanding the importance of rules.
I guess in the end it all comes down to intelligence, its just that the "rich people" might have just had a wider opportunity to learn.

cya
R
Old 22nd May 2004, 22:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Pferdestärke @ May 17 2004,07:14)]Yes 'ported_head' You're spot on.
I know the 800 BHP + Supra and the Near 1500 BHP Skyline is Insane in India, BUT NOT UNSAFE!
Ofcourse it can be, but not necessarily, is..
hello, dear who told u that the supra is 800+ , but it n't even 500+ dbut

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks