Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 19:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Think as in invest or pulling out of MFs ?
Invest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
right now its the best time to run away from the stock market or anything related, as fast as you can.
Of course every iBanker will tell you this is the right time to invest.
1. When stock market crashed to 17000 they said, its bottom invenst now
2. When sensex touched 15000 they said this is the real bottom invest now
3. when sensex touched 14000 they said lot of support
4. And now it may kiss 12000 or below
An iBanker will tell you its a good time to invest no matter where the sensex stands. Thats his/her job. If you don't invest they will go hungry.
So use your judgement and stay away from recommendations on all the websites etc., which say "Buy mutual funds"
Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
I think it is a good time to invest in equities. if you were not scared to invest when sensex was 19000 ( I was ), you should not be scared now since your loss will be much less and your gain can be much more. The other investment avenues such as Gold and Real Estate are quite high too.
If you do not want to take risk now, Do not invest when sensex touches 19000 again ( a few months / years from now ) and stick to Fixed Deposits / Debt Mutual funds.
so fine investing in MF?
Old 18th September 2008, 20:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
i'm totally inexperienced in this area, but nevertheless; bikefreak, ever contemplated investing in MF's? as far as i know, most of the MF schemes offer at least 80% returns on a yearly basis- some of the players posted 105-150% returns for the previous year. besides, aren't MF's tax deductible as well under section 80c...? or was that 80L? it would be a much better option than unit linked insurance plans now, wouldn't it...?

Whoa, atleast 80% returns per year??? High hopes. Lets relook the figures shall we? For this year, show me one fund with these figures please.
Old 18th September 2008, 22:44   #18
BHPian

hi i think since u have long horizon go for ELSS even their returns are tax free which is not for FD'S and NSC. i have invested in sbi magnum tax gain its a long running scheme in which u can get annual dividend with a three year lock in for ur amount
Old 19th September 2008, 00:48   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
hi i think since u have long horizon go for ELSS even their returns are tax free which is not for FD'S and NSC. i have invested in sbi magnum tax gain its a long running scheme in which u can get annual dividend with a three year lock in for ur amount
I think there are tax saving FDs available.
Old 19th September 2008, 13:32   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Whoa, atleast 80% returns per year??? High hopes. Lets relook the figures shall we? For this year, show me one fund with these figures please.
I think you missed reading the date on his post which is from 2006. There were several MF's which rode the market and gave 80% (or higher returns) then.

The current scenario totally sucks for investments. Hardly any avenues left for good returns.
Old 19th September 2008, 13:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hmm Should Tax Saving SIPs in MFs be continued or stopped?
Old 19th September 2008, 16:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Hmm Should Tax Saving SIPs in MFs be continued or stopped?
Don't panic. If you have a 8-10 year horizon, continue your SIPs in MFs.

Same thing happened during the IT slump of 2001-02 when everyone advised to abstain from the Stock market. Look at how much appreciation has happened since.

Last edited by DCEite : 19th September 2008 at 16:20.
Old 20th September 2008, 02:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think you missed reading the date on his post which is from 2006. There were several MF's which rode the market and gave 80% (or higher returns) then.

The current scenario totally sucks for investments. Hardly any avenues left for good returns.
Oops, yeah, I thought it was a recent post. Anyways, currently the FMP space is looking very attractive. For AAA securities from really good Fund houses, you could expect anything from 10-11.75% returns for durations of 1 month to more than a year.

Of course its still lower than inflation, but its far better than Bank FD's especially for people in the higher tax slabs. Also pretty safe, although one could avoid funds with exposure to real estate cos.
Old 17th October 2008, 13:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Bumping for opinions on the current scenario :|
Old 17th October 2008, 17:20   #25
BHPian

I would say go for MFs still, especially for Tax Saving. Its stuck there for 3 years, so you can't panic and pull it out if the market falls again.
Three years should always be your minimum time frame for investing in the stock market.
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Is it a good idea to get into a Mutual Fund right now? If so, which ones would be recommended?
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Is it a good idea to get into a Mutual Fund right now? If so, which ones would be recommended?
I think you can start a SIP for a year in Reliance Vision and Birla income plus. Do check with your well wishers before investing
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well i cant advice if its the right time to invest in MF. But i could suggest a few MF 's : SBI Platinum, HDFC Growth & Reliance Vision are some of the better performers.
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Choose from a well diversified equity fund like HDFC Top 200, DSPML top 100 etc. Avoid small cap funds like Reliance growth etc.
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Fidelity can also be considered. They gave me decent returns when I had SIP running for a year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks