Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 21:02   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Footballer Sailen Manna is No More- Mannada Rest In Peace!

Footballer Sailen Manna is No More- Mannada Rest In Peace!-manna_.jpg

Pic: The Hindu
ADIEU MANNADA:
My heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family of Mannada (PadmaShri Shri Sailendra Nath Manna). We were in the same office in Kolkata. He retired in 1982. He was a very unassuming personality and was Administrative Officer in the Geological Survey of India, Central Headquarters (GSI,CHQ). I never knew that he was so famous, until some older colleague told me all about his glorious moments and achievements. Mannada drove his own car a black Hindustan 14 (WBF 1522 if my memory serves me rightly).He looked so fit and trim even at age 54, when I had first seen him. During load shedding (so frequent in those years viz. late 1970’s and early 1980’s in Kolkata), he used to just run up the staircase, when the lifts would’nt work - he was posted in the 11 storey office building (Ratnakar Building) at 4, Chowringhee Lane. He was closely associated with the Mohun Bagan team even in his twilight years and loved to coach new players. Just recently, when a foreign football team had come to Kolkata he was prominently there and was covered by the TV channels. Its sad to lose one of our acclaimed shining lights in the field of sports. May his soul rest in peace.

More about the great sportsman:
The Hindu : Sport / Football : Football legend Manna passes away

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th February 2012 at 21:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks