Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 13:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Shipping Internationally as an Ebay / Etsy Seller

Hi,

I wanted to check that if I list any item as a seller on either Ebay or Etsy and wish to sell internationally can't I simply FedEx or DHL whatever has been bought online by somebody in some part of the world?

My wife designs ethnic garments (suits) that I wish to list on online buy/sell websites such as Ebay and Etsy. I know that I must get a paypal account in order to receive payments but what all do I need to know in order to ship any garment internationally?
Old 12th March 2012, 14:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shipping Internationally from Ebay or Etsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
....I know that I must get a paypal account in order to receive payments but what all do I need to know in order to ship any garment internationally?
That's the financial side of it. If your transactions are limited to places only within India, a paypal account alone would do unless your operations attract provisions of VAT/Excise laws.

For International Transactions you may need to obtain something called as the IE code from the DGFT

Only after having the said requirements in place, you will be eligible to start shipping your merchandise.

You may also like to read this Learn how to buy or sell on eBay India

Good Luck!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 12th March 2012 at 14:33.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 13:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shipping Internationally as an Ebay / Etsy Seller

I have an estimate of 2190/- to ship a garment through Indian Speed Post to IL, USA for a 3kg item.

Would anyone happen to know a better yet cheaper courier service?
Old 13th August 2012, 13:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have an estimate of 2190/- to ship a garment through Indian Speed Post to IL, USA for a 3kg item.

Would anyone happen to know a better yet cheaper courier service?
when you ship to USA, individual items cost too much. However, bulk shipping for 100 items will cost around 10,000 INR(total weight around 50-100kg).
If you plan to sell to individual buyers, you will need to spend atleast 1500-2000 INR/parcel.
Old 13th August 2012, 14:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

You are right, individual items cost way too much to ship internationally.

Indian Speed Post is going to cost me 2190 for a 3 kg garment where as all other services (DHL, Fed Ex etc.) cost upwards of 3000 (after having spoken to about a dozen courier guys now).

I spoke to a colleague of mine and as per him Indian Speed Post will deliver the item successfully and I don't need to worry (why can't I trust anything sarkaari :P). However, they wouldn't give any Proof of Delivery, I'm assuming it would come at a certain additional fee if at all they have a provision.

As of now I plan on going ahead with the Indian Speed Post. The garment is a sample hence I plan on mentioning 'gift with no commercial value' on the item. Anything else that I should be careful about?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks