Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 20:28   #1
BHPian

'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures

Hai friends,
Sharing some latest pictures released by NASA. Really amazing !
Attached Thumbnails
'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures-674325main_pia1600743_946710.jpg  

'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures-674289main_pia1600543_946710.jpg  

'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures-674248main_pia1600243_946710.jpg  

'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures-674268main_pia16001466.jpg  

'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures-673970main_pia15988466.jpg  

'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures-673663main_milkovichpiece466.jpg  

'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures-673547main_msl5466.jpg  

Old 8th August 2012, 22:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures

The Mars mission controller Bobak Ferdowsi is more famous than his RF vehicle:
'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures-bobakflightdirectormars.jpg

What made 'Nasa Mohawk Guy' such a successful meme? | Kate Miltner | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Raab rakha.
Old 9th August 2012, 10:11   #3
BHPian

These are the first two full-resolution images of the Martian surface from the Navigation cameras on NASA's Curiosity rover, which are located on the rover's "head" or mast.
Attached Thumbnails
'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures-l0.jpg  

'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures-l.jpg  

'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures-l1.jpg  

Old 9th August 2012, 11:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow pix, simple wow!
This is one of the best thing since Man landing on Moon.

Next stop - Man landing on Mars!

EDIT: But I do remember that we've had probes landing on Mars long time back too.

Last edited by alpha1 : 9th August 2012 at 11:18.
Old 9th August 2012, 11:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hope its not landed in Ladakh !

On that day their live streaming had 4 million people watching it. The comments from people were really funny and the Mohawk guy was a big hit.
Old 9th August 2012, 11:55   #6
BHPian

Amazing snaps!

... The more I read about this mission the more I am amazed!

So many moving targets.... trajectory corrections planned in advance... landing had to be autonomous as there was not enough time to give corrective commands from earth... they even positioned a Mars orbiter to click the parachute in decent at the right time at the right place!....

Rajanikanth's stunts of chucking knife and shooting bullet at the knife edge, splitting it and directing the two bullet halves at two baddies rinning in two directions - looks like childs play compared to the Mars mission

[Apologies to Rajani fans "jest joke only I say!" ]
Old 9th August 2012, 12:08   #7
BHPian

Those are really nice photos .

Does anybody have technical details of how different is this thing from the rover landed in previous mission ? I think the rover also landed by parachute?

Last edited by GTO : 10th August 2012 at 16:42. Reason: Poorly typed post
Old 9th August 2012, 12:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Amazing how much man is capable of, we are still scratching the surface I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
Rajanikanth's stunts of chucking knife and shooting bullet at the knife edge, splitting it and directing the two bullet halves at two baddies rinning in two directions - looks like childs play compared to the Mars mission

[Apologies to Rajani fans "jest joke only I say!" ]
Don't worry, his next movie is to be filmed in Mars and he will do all those stunts in Mars and curiosity is going to be the camerabot, beat that.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

1. This is the heaviest (~1 tonne) rover with on-board chemistry lab and biology lab. Most advanced instruments

2. Powered by RTG (Radioisotope Thermal Generators) uses plutonium to generate electricity(a mini nuclear power plant) producing over 1.2 kW - largest power generating Rover, compared to the last two.

3. Landing - capsule with heat shield during entry into Martian atmosphere - slowing down using parachutes - A payload adapter is ejected once the speeds are down to about Mach 2 - Payload adapter with rover come down - slowing based on the thrust on the adapter - rover searches for landing zone/spot - once decided the adapter hovers - Rover is winched down through a skycrane(first of its kind ever!)

NASA - Multimedia - Video Gallery

Enjoy!

Raw images from Curiosity:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/

Last edited by GTO : 10th August 2012 at 16:42. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 9th August 2012, 13:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Don't worry, his next movie is to be filmed in Mars and he will do all those stunts in Mars and curiosity is going to be the camerabot, beat that.
Ha haa! totally agree!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
1. This is the heaviest (~1 tonne) rover with on-board chemistry lab and biology lab. Most advanced instruments

2. Powered by RTG (Radioisotope Thermal Generators) uses plutonium to generate electricity(a mini nuclear power plant) producing over 1.2 kW - largest power generating Rover, compared to the last two.

3. Landing - capsule with heat shield during entry into Martian atmosphere - slowing down using parachutes - A payload adapter is ejected once the speeds are down to about Mach 2 - Payload adapter with rover come down - slowing based on the thrust on the adapter - rover searches for landing zone/spot - once decided the adapter hovers - Rover is winched down through a skycrane(first of its kind ever!)
Mind-blowing stuff! I can understand why those scientists were jumping like crazy when the "wheels-down" confirmation came in!
Old 9th August 2012, 14:24   #11
BHPian

Previous rovers were in a protective ball which was bounced onto the surface. That could not be applied now as Curiosity weighs close to a Tonne. The final landing is pure sci-fi stuff.

I would want to see Opportunity meet up with Curiosity, Just like Wall-E meeting up with Eve. However, NASA as made it clear that they are not scheduled to meet.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is great! Don't these pictures remind us of Transformers?
Old 9th August 2012, 14:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Previous rovers were in a protective ball which was bounced onto the surface.
Its the same airbag technology used in cars. Balloons protect the rover itself. This skycrane technique is bound be the work horse for the forthcoming lander/interplanetary exploration missions(New Horizons missions). Intially, everyone including the NASA engineers were very skeptical about this sky crane design as it was over complicated, over engineered and most important, never attempted before. Mostly, in space technology its an unsaid rule, "Don't change anything that is working, Don't use anything that hasn't been tried so far!" Mainly because of the huge costs involved and the risk of failure might even lead the whole industry go into a nose dive. This success of this mission means so much to the space community that, failure could have eventually led to budget cuts for the next year and thereby reducing the number of new innovations, possibilities for new explorations and new scientific discoveries. Indirectly would affect the world of space science as NASA is the major contributor to new inventions, new ideas and radical missions. Being a part of this space community(no, I am not working for NASA! )I am overjoyed and relieved to see this mission succeed.

For all interested in Space science and those who have not watched this, I recommend spending 1.5hrs - worth!!

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/space-race/

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 9th August 2012 at 15:00.
Old 16th August 2012, 16:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Slight OT: But a proud moment!

India plans mission to Mars next year - Telegraph

Quote:
Manmohan Singh, the prime minsiter, announced the 4.5 billion rupee (£52 million) mission during a speech Wednesday marking the 65th anniversary of India's independence from British rule.

"This spaceship to Mars will be a huge step for us in the area of science and technology," he said.

The spacecraft will orbit Mars to collect data after its launch in November 2013 on a frequently used rocket developed by the Indian Space Research Organisation.

India has had an active space programme since the 1960s and has launched scores of satellites for itself and other countries
Now thats what I call a Independence day speech! Great going Hon. Prime minister sir.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:55   #15
BHPian

True AlphaKilo : good news for the Sci-Tech fans of the country!

I also hope we do not see any more of the mess with the Space agency corruption, that was in the news last year. So disappointed to see folks I considered Heroes at the frontiers of India's Space research - go down like that...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks