Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 14:59   #1
BHPian

Bad Press - Irresposible Media Reporting

When TRP's rule and Breaking news brings in moolahs, it seems no one has time to cross check before publishing a news. No matter the consequences. Even if caught, a small apology in a unseen corner would solve the issue.

But what about the people who will find it hard to face the society after such bad press.

A small example :

The following was reported in the 2nd largest Malayalam Daily. It reported the capture of College kids who were suspects in a college mate's murder. The news came with their group photo. Surprisingly few known faces were there and many raised concerns. The next days paper came with a small apology. The group photo was of a college group that won an arts competition and not that of the killers.

How does media wash its hand off ? Would they be able to pay back the image that was tarnished ? Who knows how many would have rated them as murderers? How many of them would have read the apology the next day ?

Im sure this is not one incident. There are many such irresponsible journalism that happens. This thread shall focus on such incidents.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Press - Irresposible Media Reporting-483436_4599298068416_1650331830_n.jpg  

Last edited by mannubhai : 8th April 2013 at 15:03.
Old 27th September 2014, 11:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Press - Irresposible Media Reporting

Here is another one - Not bad press, but a blooper

A Reuters report in NDTV about Indian mars mission a photo of a Rocket with the caption India's Mars Orbitor

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/in...ds-them-598366

First thing - Orbitor is a satellite and not a rocket. Next, the photo is not that of PSLV which put Mangalyaan in orbit!!
Old 27th September 2014, 11:19   #3
BHPian

The first one is shocking! That is simply unacceptable and irresponsible reporting. And just an apology? Happens only in India. Newspapers have been brought down and closed for far less. Imagine the shock of those kids who had just won an inter-collegiate event and their photo getting published as murderers. Just Unacceptable bad press.
Press in India has snooped down to such a low level, trying to just increase income and readership. From TOI to this.
Old 28th September 2014, 21:10   #4
BHPian

I don't know if I might post this here. (Mods, please remove it if this is inappropriate)

There is a blog known as MediaCrooks. It was started by a person/journalist who writes with the name of Ravinar.

This site is dedicated to exposing those media houses and journalists whose reporting is questionable. It was started somewhere around 2010, I guess. I came across this while Googling for India's worst journalists. I am hooked since then (next only to Team-Bhp).

Here is the link.
MediaCrooks

Here is an article about him.

http://www.newslaundry.com/2013/01/2...ker-anonymous/

His site is attracting a lot of attention these days.
Old 29th September 2014, 11:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
I don't know if I might post this here. (Mods, please remove it if this is inappropriate)

There is a blog known as MediaCrooks. It was started by a person/journalist who writes with the name of Ravinar.

This site is dedicated to exposing those media houses and journalists whose reporting is questionable. It was started somewhere around 2010, I guess. I came across this while Googling for India's worst journalists. I am hooked since then (next only to Team-Bhp).

Here is the link.
MediaCrooks

Here is an article about him.

http://www.newslaundry.com/2013/01/2...ker-anonymous/

His site is attracting a lot of attention these days.
I find it surprising that only NDTV is the crook, if we go by what the website/blog says.

Anyway the point is that irresponsible media reporting happens and the only way to curtail it would be severe punishments and huge monetary damages being paid to the victim.

It's only because of money that media houses are irresponsible (publish news fastest, grab eyeballs, generate ad revenue). Snatch the profitability away in case of mistakes like these.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks