Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2013, 17:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Drinking water facility at some renovated Airports

Thanks all for expressing your views.

Let's keep two things separate: Element of surprise / helplessness for people who are not used to water fountains. I am not an international traveler and I came across it for the first time at renovated Indian terminals. There will be many people like that who see it for the first time, perhaps a bit late in their lives, than the luckier ones who know such things from early days. Now, let's park this aspect there.

Now having that got out of the way, second question is whether this facility is good.

The pros that come out are : hygienic (of course unless people litter / spit).

The cons that come out are : wastage of water, learning curve or difficulty for people not used to it (though people may also overcome these difficulties after some time).

It's perfectly fair for one to weigh these differently and have own opinion.

Whether the facility is good because it is present in the "developed world" or it is of "international standard". I don't think these are points of objective comparison.

If it all, that was the only hint of my sarcastic comment. By any stretch of imagination I don't think that remark could hurt any respondent on this thread till that post. If it did, I apologise.

I do not have problems with posts that made fun of my not knowing about water fountains. Now that I know them and I find a colleague struggling with using them, my reaction will perhaps be the same.

I do find one off post very offending though I don't think it deserves to be replied.

Last edited by mayuresh : 18th May 2013 at 18:02.
Old 19th May 2013, 16:54   #17
BHPian

It's funny how water fountains are the cause of so much debate here

Our airports are trying to match up and water fountains are innovative because it eliminates the need of glasses/plastic glasses etc but it really comes down to the average joe's habits.

Unfortunately at the best of hotels and airports when using the basin to wash hands people tend to spill water all over and around the basin. Let's not even get to how some of them like to spit out.

I wonder if people are going to use this in a way that it is intended to be used or make us cringe at the thought of drinking from it.

Also, IMPO, airports should have the regular & conventional (WRT India) drinking water facilities too. There a lot of folks who may not be used to the fountain and access to water should not be puzzling to a thirsty man.

Anyway, all said and done we should agree to disagree on a few things. Opinions on technology will vary from person to person. If we agree on everything then what will we discuss?
Old 19th May 2013, 18:14   #18
BHPian

mayuresh

My sympathies are with you. I am also not someone who has been fortunate to jet set all over the world and be familiar with innovations apparently introduced 30 or 40 years ago elsewhere but not yet made it to India. I came across a similar situation having encountered the contraption (sorry "popular gadget") at a neighbouring country airport for the first time in my life recently. Gave up and instead quenched my thirst like many other people I am sure do in a similar situation - buy a grossly overpriced boittle of water at the nearest F & B outlet.

Just wondering whether there is a commercial angle to this as well - airports all over the world now increasingly depend on non aeronautical revenue. Hygienic this new concept may be, but to say that it doesnt help the F & B outlets . I am not too sure.

Forget airports, there is a commercial aspect almost everywhere and India is among the worst. Just let me give an example.

Around 20 years back, in Ernakulam KSRTC bus station. Around 5-6 F & B outlets. Late in the night , very humid. On an overnight bus journey in a long distance KeSRTC bus from Tirvandrum to Kannur which stopped for a break at the station. I go to the first outlet and ask for a Coca Cola or Pepsi. Answer was they dont stock the two brands but they have a local brand. Never mind, went to the next outlet... same reply...3rd outlet...same reply... all the outlets got the same reply... Only local brands available.

Was surprised as there was no organised campaign going on against either of these companies at that time.Figured out the answer soon enough. All the outlets were taken on the lease by the same owner! And the price difference was almost identical to the established brands.Talk about exploiting the customer.

Naturally I went thristy. Couldnt risk it.
Old 19th May 2013, 18:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

In west where these come from, people rarely drink water, least from these fountains.these are mostly used to rinse or wet one's mouth. I guess Indian airports are trying to appeal to international crowds.
Old 20th May 2013, 13:24   #20
BHPian

I have also used this fountain multiple times when I was abroad. Yes, it is cumbersome to drink from this. I also noticed that there is more water wastage when using this. First you need to turn it on with one hand, watch the pressure for a few seconds, then ensure that with the same pressure on the button you approach the fountain carefully with your mouth open and suck on the water like you do on a bottle with a straw. But still there is lot of spillage. You also need to be careful that teh water doesn;t plash onto your trousers and shirt.
Sometimes, I used this technique which I found very easy and could appeal to us Indians...
Press the button with your right hand (usually, I notice these devices are right hand operated) and then cup your left palm under the fountain to drink directly from your palm. Remember, in school days how we used to drink from open taps!!!
Old 20th May 2013, 14:43   #21
BHPian

Personally, I do not find it a big issue to drink from these fountain taps. No offense to anyone please! Though I second the fact that there is considerable water wastage in these type of taps. This is serious considering the availability and access to potable water in a country like India.
One thing I have noticed is, I end up drinking lots of water. I mean the thirst is not quenched easily while drinking from these taps. It might me just in my head or the fact that I have to drink for a long time to drink the same volume of water as from a glass/ tumbler/ bottle. I find this quite strange! Has anyone else also felt the same?
Old 20th May 2013, 14:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
One thing I have noticed is, I end up drinking lots of water. I mean the thirst is not quenched easily while drinking from these taps. It might me just in my head or the fact that I have to drink for a long time to drink the same volume of water as from a glass/ tumbler/ bottle. I find this quite strange! Has anyone else also felt the same?
It may be because how your body is positioned while drinking it. While standing/sitting, the 'drum' of your body is vertical, and hence the pressure of lungs etc restrain the input capacity of the stomach. When you are horizontal (for drinking the water from mountain), the lungs pressure is not directly above the stomach, which is now in horizontal position, and hence more water holding capacity!

Or I could be totally wrong in this case
Old 20th May 2013, 15:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Personally, I do not find it a big issue to drink from these fountain taps. No offense to anyone please! Though I second the fact that there is considerable water wastage in these type of taps. This is serious considering the availability and access to potable water in a country like India.
You are right about the thirst quenching capacity of these. Since you are looking down, you need to draw it in and goes down your throat without wetting your mouth as such.
You may also gulp a lot of air When its cold, you don't find it that satisfying at all.

I dont find the thread starter's point of view wrong.

Last edited by srishiva : 20th May 2013 at 15:09.
Old 20th May 2013, 15:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

I find these fountains to be very helpful, and almost always expect them to be present at all airports. If i do not find one, its a huge pain as i need to find someone selling water bottle and then buy it. Many a times one does not have cash in the local currency (especially when traveling outside India) and converting USD to any currency at airport is a loss for you apart from this using credit card is a pain as i believe it would make the International transaction more expensive.

Within India, i have found the bottled water to be expensive, but as water is quiet a basic need one ends up buying them. I dont like carrying a water bottle around and almost always use these fountains to quench my thirst.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks