Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2006, 01:19   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
You lucky dawg! That's where I would have been had I not gotten a drop and had I not been on my way to another one. Engineering sucks. Dude, how do you get over the senseless learning by rote? I just can't get through pages and pages of derivations. And a million formulae per subject? It's driving me crazy. My friends tell me I need an attitude overhaul.
Dude honestly..I dont know how I do it...I'm just frikkin glad its over......gonna start work in july...moving ove to marketing..although its a mech based company, no more SOM, TOM, DOM for me!!
Old 5th June 2006, 12:44   #17
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84
Good decision!!
ANd ofcourse you'll remember all the advice you got here and give us BIG discounts when we come to "SRK designs" .
Not just big discounts! But I'll do a car for free for a teambhpian by having a lucky draw here! Only if my dream comes true!!

Quote:
Ported_Head,Is it that bad..
I thought it would be better to go for automobile engg. and then a design course (like NID/MIT).
My cousin too suggested me for going abroad but I cant leave Mumbai and my parents!
D you mean that there will be no practical knowledege!!and the proff. will just shout whats in the book!!

I want to learn such that I can assemble a car on my own or build one according to my design!!

Quote:
RJK,
I want to open my own customization shop,so I chose automobile engg..(just to learn the technical parts)
Guys! now what do you think.
I am trying for Saboo Sidik (automobile engg.)

Guys,Dont worry even If I dont study you'll get "SRK Designs!" somewhere in Mumbai.
I'll get some best mechanics from local garges and some professionals to help for mechanical work and I myself will work on body kits!!
So beware you car may someday be in SRK designs workshop!
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:20   #18
Pal
BHPian

Re: Help! Automobile OR Mechanical Engineering???

Hey SRK!
5 yrs ago u posted in sayin u wre abt to get into Engg...
so waddup now?
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:42   #19
BHPian

Re: Help! Automobile OR Mechanical Engineering???

SRK I know exactly how you feel. I have seen some of your work and there is no doubt that you have an eye for design. I would however like to ask you a serious questions. Its on I didnt ask myself and trust me its come back to haunt me.

There is a very important difference between Automotive Design and Automotive Engineering and its up to you to decide what you want to do.

Design is very creative and involves an understanding of sketching, human physiology, colour theory and a really really good eye for detail. But I can tell you from personal experience, it is extremely emotionally taxing!! However for those of us who decide to go into automotive design, in the end it is very rewarding because we do what we love. We love making cars and making people WANT cars to begin with.

I want to tell you on the face that you DONT need to do engineering to be a car designer. People who tell you otherwise have NO idea about the industry. Companies already have access to good engineers, what they need is access to good IDEAS. I say that because I myself went through a Mechanical Engg. route. I wasted two good years of my life going to a stupid college listening to old men tell me about what I cant and cannot do. As a creative person I enjoy breaking the rules and trying something new. Engineering is always based on logic and reasoning. I personally find that very dull. If you do too then take my advice and dont jump.

However if you do feel that Engineering is what you like then go into a Mech. Engg. course. Dont bother with the automobile engg. course, it is literally the same thing. It is also quite possible for you to do a course in Mech Engg. and then become a car designer. That makes you doubly impressive in the eye of a company. I have several friends who have gone down that route and if you can do it then I see good things in your future.

As I've mentioned before you have to ask yourself whether you want to be a designer or engineer. Based on that you can move ahead.

Incase you are wondering, Dillip Chhabria has started an automotive design school in pune. Havent been there but you should check it out if you are going into design.

Also try attending some product design courses in Raffles. They have some good teachers and if you like you can even enter the automotive field from there.

if you need any advice you can mail me

saif.naqeeb@gmail.com

Cheers!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks