Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 19:02   #16
BHPian

Artist: Pandit Ulhas Kashaklar (Vocal)
Album: Ragas Malkauns & Lalit Pancham Live at Saptak 2006 {Master Pieces Series}
Accompanied: Pandit Suresh Talwalkar (Tabla), Mukund Parkar (Harmonium), Ikram Khan (Sarangi)
Genre: Indian Classical Vocal, Indian Raga, Hindustani Classical Vocal, World Music
Label: Times Music/Sense World Music
Catalog Number: TDICL 252 C (Times Music) Also Released as Nilaya in UK with catalog number Sense086
Recording Year: January 2006
CD release Year: 2006/2014

'Pandit Ulhas Kashalkar' is one of the outstanding and eminent performers of Indian Classical music who was trained in Gwalior, Jaipur and Agra gharanas (schools) and got a unique singing style by incorporating all three. This album was recorded Live at Saptak, the annual Indian Classical festival conducted at Ahmadabad, India in January 2006. He performed 'Raga Malkauns', a beautiful late night ancient raga, which history dates back to vedic period. Here, 'Raga Malkauns' was divided into two parts as the first composition starts with 'Bada Khyal' with a devotional poetry attributed to Lord Rama called "Daya Karoon" which shows the vocal command of 'Pandit Ulhas Kashalkar. It follows a Tarana set in same raga but in a faster theme and concludes in a majestic way . Then the album ends with "Raga Lalit Pancham", a rare raga with a brief 10 beat composition called Jhaptaal followed by 16 beat Tarana. IMO, It's a true masterpiece and I fondly recommend you to explore it....Raaj
Old 26th February 2019, 18:52   #17
BHPian

Re: The Indian Classical & Indo-Western Fusion Thread

I wrote this music review 9 years ago. Thought of sharing a few of glimpses of that with you.

John Wubbenhorst is an American flutist who learned Indian Flute (Bansuri) with master flutist Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia. He formed an Indo-Western fusion band "Facing East" in 1997 with T.H. Subash Chandran (Ghatam and Konnokol) and Ganesh Kumar (Kanjira), and the end results are simply beyond awesome.

Iam fortunate enough for having their two albums. Well, this particular song is their tribute to guitarist John McLaughlin, the founder of fusion group, "Shakti". Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by Wildy : 26th February 2019 at 19:00.
Old 15th August 2019, 12:30   #18
BHPian

"Mile Sur Mere Tumhara" was released in 1988 and I was in high school. The song is not just captured the different cultures of India, but it showcased India's classical music, dance, folk music and its diversity. An influential song in my musical life, especially Pandit Bhimsen Joshi's intro is simply mesmerizing. It was remade in 2010, but failed to capture the soul and essence of the original. Song was originally composed by Louis Banks with Ashok Patki. Lyrics by Piyush Pandey.

I wish you Happy Independence Day... Raaj

Old 11th October 2019, 09:56   #19
BHPian

The Indian Classical & Indo-Western Fusion Thread-img_20191011_092555_538.jpg

With heavy heart, I regret to inform, pioneering Indian Saxophonist "Kadri Gopalnath" passed away today. I have been fan fan of him since many years and Indian Saxophone sound never gonna recover from this loss. May you rest in peace master. 🎷🎷🙏
Old 11th October 2019, 11:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Attachment 1922168

With heavy heart, I regret to inform, pioneering Indian Saxophonist "Kadri Gopalnath" passed away today. I have been fan fan of him since many years and Indian Saxophone sound never gonna recover from this loss. May you rest in peace master. 🎷🎷🙏
Sad to hear. Master of a unique instrument outside of the more common sitar, sarod and flute. I have heard several live performances, especially duets with Hindustani classical musicians. Always came across as an adroit master of his craft.
Old 13th February 2020, 09:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Classical Raga Identification Thread

Vivid Classical Music Lovers give first preference to Ragas and immediately, Taala.

When they listen to any song, be it Hindustani, Carnatic, Film song, Janapada geethe, Bhava geethe or any other category of music, the first question that comes to their mind is, which raga is this song sung?

We have many Indian classical music lovers in our forum and hence, creating this thread to achieve two objectives.
1. If they have doubt on any song and its raga, they can post their query. Others who have listened to the song can respond with right raga.

If Forum rules permit, we can share the link to the song in the post. Others can listen to the song and try identifying the raga)

2. post song lyrics(Could be any of category of Songs listed above irrespective of language) or audio song piece and inform to other music lovers about the Raga and speciality.

Searched in this forum but could not find similar thread. Hence, creating this thread.

First set of songs(Let us try to follow the below format so we can show respect to the stakeholders of the song)

(If applicable only)
Language: Kannada
Film: Bhagyada lakshmi Baaramma
Song: Yava kaviyu bareyalaara
Artist: Dr. Rajkumar

Raga: Chandrakauns - Hindustani Raag

Film: Saptapadi
Song: Megha banthu Megha
Artist: Dr. Rajkumar

Raga: Simhendra Madhyama- Carnatic Raaga

Film: Muttina haara
Song: Devaru hoseda premada daara
Artist: Dr. Balamurali Krishna

Raga: Kanakangi- Carnatic Raaga
This is the first Melakartha Raga of Carnatic Music

Last edited by gkveda : 13th February 2020 at 09:42.
Old 14th February 2020, 14:35   #22
BHPian

For those looking for some insights into the raagas and also their use in hindi film music, there is a very good youtube channel sponsored by University Grants Commission.

The pattern is that every episode takes up one raaga. There is one host, one classical vocal expert and one person having knowledge about film songs using that raaga. They are accompanied by harmonium, table and sometimes a keyboard. There are two versions of this that I found. One is in English while the other is in Hindi.

Here is the link - Hindustani Classical Music Learning

One interesting tidbit from one of the episodes on how raagas are closely linked together.

We all know Malkauns raaga. Changing the komal Nishad in Malkauns to shuddha Nishad gives us Chandrakauns raaga. Adding Shuddha Rishabh gives us Kausik Ranjani raaga. Finally, performing moorchhana (shifting the base Sa) to Madhyam brings out the Madhukauns raaga.

Last edited by luvDriving : 14th February 2020 at 14:36. Reason: added content
Old 14th February 2020, 17:57   #23
Team-BHP Support

A related question. Are there any streaming radio channels/apps dedicated to Hindustani Classical music, and associated genres? We had a WorldSpace satellite radio at home for several years, and my mother was especially fond of their classical channels.

I'd like to get some of that amazing music back in our home again.

Any pointers are much appreciated.
Old 15th February 2020, 10:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Are there any streaming radio channels/apps dedicated to Hindustani Classical music, and associated genres?
If you are an Amazon Prime subscriber, then Amazon Music offers plenty of stations that cater to specific artistes, music tastes and genres.

Alternatively you can also search for music stations of your choice on "Tune In Radio". They have a very wide array of stations on offer. This is an internet radio app.

And the best part is, they are ad-free.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks