Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2004, 20:11   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

For all of you with Windows XP, run your "windows update" right now. The Comp guy had come around and updated all our computers with this pack and everyone is in agreement that the computers are running much much faster! Its probably using lesser resources now.

Beside theres also huge increments in levels of security.

Download it now. Was released just day before by Microsoft. Its 90 odd MB, so make sure that you have the time and free hard disc space to download this pack.

GTO
Old 26th August 2004, 20:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

90 mb!! ouch...that calls for an office Dl!!
Old 27th August 2004, 18:49   #3
BHPian

Hey thanks GTO........

I will start updating right now.
Old 27th August 2004, 19:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

60 mb and counting..... sigh
Old 27th August 2004, 21:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Just as a tip, usually when a SP comes out its better to just hang around and wait (unless its an absolutely critical update), because that will leave some buffer time for people to figure out if there are any new vunerabilities (which there always are... this is microsoft!... ).. so let me rephrase that.. - it allows people to figure out if there are any major holes in the code.

SP2 was released 2-3weeks ago or something? ....well its a matter of choice...some people will wait 2weeks, while some will wait 2 months....

anyway...getting to the point.....> let me know if you notice any improvement in speed

cya
R
Old 28th August 2004, 12:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]anyway...getting to the point.....> let me know if you notice any improvement in speed
I believe GTO answered this by saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]everyone is in agreement that the computers are running much much faster! Its probably using lesser resources now.
Old 28th August 2004, 16:32   #7
Team-BHP Support

Yep rtech,

I would have never in my life dreamed that an SP would increase the OS speed in any way.... but GTOs mention of it made me wonder just how much....and hence was looking for some more TBHP experiences on this...

cheers
R
Old 29th August 2004, 21:33   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Rtech and others who downloaded this superb pack:

Click the start menu, choose "Run". And then type this in there:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

This will remove the annoying windows messenger which runs automatically in the background. You wont see an icon to stop it from running or change options.

Second, if you want to use the messenger...download the latest MSN Messenger. I use version 6.2

GTO
Old 29th August 2004, 22:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Thanks.....will definitey be using that string when i get back to my XP system in a couple of weeks!!

cya
R
Old 30th August 2004, 02:35   #10
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I have been using XP SP2 RC1 - for months now... there's no major problem that i can see.... it has some nice things.... but to me it doesn't make much difference.

I have also installed SP2 Final on my system... didn't improve any speed. but didn't slow it down much.....

I did 266 mb Sp2 download... at least I can save it for the next time.

My Win 2003 now looks a bit older compared to XP.... lol
Old 2nd September 2004, 01:45   #11
Team-BHP Support

thanks for the tip GTO...that darn win msger is really irritating!

Been running XP with the SP2 for a week now, but I guess I'm not the best to judge as I had only been using XP for about a week before the SP came out! So I dont really notice a diff 'cept for that so called firewall that pops up. Wonder how effective it really is...and also wonder if it will interfere with my norton...??? any thoughts on that?

Rt
Old 2nd September 2004, 11:46   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rtech,

Actually the SP2 has improved working relations between itself and the Norton now i.e. they work in collaboration to increase the security level of your computer. Even independent of Norton, the SP2 has innumerable security features that will absolutely minimise the chance of an attack (not only direct, but via email etc.) into your computer.

I strongly recommend downloading the free Sygate firewall from download.com

GTO
Old 3rd September 2004, 00:04   #13
BHPian

Ok, i downloaded the SP2 but to be precise i don't see any improvment in my PC speed. There may be a fraction of a difference in the booting speed but it is difficult to know.
The other features like security control (firewall, pop up blocker..etc) are useful tools which are important.
So overall, SP2 is a good package.

Dan.
Old 3rd September 2004, 13:30   #14
BHPian

With 1gb of ram on a P4 2.6, there really isn't scope for any further improvement in speed .. but I got SP2 because its got a better firewall and - most notably - native bluetooth support. I threw my bundled BT drivers out of the window after trying out the SP2 drivers.

But now I really don't have much use for the BT thing since my Nokia 6600 was stolen last month. Now I have a Samsung SGH-E715, which has no BT, but has infrared so I can still transfer pics.

Anyway, I recommend SP2 to anyone using XP. Agreed there ARE a few issues that have cropped up after the release, but let me go ahead and say that you're not likely to encounter any problems till a post-SP2 fix is issued by MS. So relax.

- Aalaap
Old 16th September 2004, 07:38   #15
Team-BHP Support

SP2 Brief description of changes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks